Recommendations for a good budget integrated amplifier please?

pbgb1954

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
My amp (Denon PMA300V - circa 1987) has died after only 22 years (!!) solid use and it has been so long since I considered audio that I really don't know where to begin looking.

The key elements of the basic system are the Mordaunt Short MS25Ti speakers, a Denon TU-450L tuner (both bought at the same time as the amp) and a Technics SL-PS620A purchased some 5 years later to replace the Denon DCD 500 I bought in 1987 that got broke. The main use of this 'living room' system is as you would guess - radio & CDs - especially the big stuff with dynamic range. One final puzzle is that, not very often these days, I may want to play vinyl on my Dual CS 503-1 deck - not sure it is vital but I would miss the vinyl records I have. Please note I don't, nor am likely to, own an iPOD

Given how much the world (and how we consume music) has changed there are alternate sources (I can listen to the radio on my telly) so I don't want to break the bank but I can't imagine living without my humble stereo system. Who are the quality budget amp suppliers, where should I put my limited funds and how different are amps these days? 20+ years of progress must have brought some innovation beyond an MP3 jack on the front

Thanks in anticipation of any advice

Paul

A

Anonymous

What sort of budget are you looking at? Are there any features in particular that you need?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pbgb1954:
My amp (Denon PMA300V - circa 1987) has died after only 22 years (!!) solid use and it has been so long since I considered audio that I really don't know where to begin looking.

The key elements of the basic system are the Mordaunt Short MS25Ti speakers, a Denon TU-450L tuner (both bought at the same time as the amp) and a Technics SL-PS620A purchased some 5 years later to replace the Denon DCD 500 I bought in 1987 that got broke. The main use of this 'living room' system is as you would guess - radio & CDs - especially the big stuff with dynamic range. One final puzzle is that, not very often these days, I may want to play vinyl on my Dual CS 503-1 deck - not sure it is vital but I would miss the vinyl records I have. Please note I don't, nor am likely to, own an iPOD

Given how much the world (and how we consume music) has changed there are alternate sources (I can listen to the radio on my telly) so I don't want to break the bank but I can't imagine living without my humble stereo system. Who are the quality budget amp suppliers, where should I put my limited funds and how different are amps these days? 20+ years of progress must have brought some innovation beyond an MP3 jack on the front

Thanks in anticipation of any advice

Paul

Because you have old MS speakers and you have been happy with a 20 year old amp, I would not break the bank. Cambridge Audio is the obvious choice. You could get a 540a with 540p (for your vinyl) for around £200. I would imagine that would give you all that you want.

matthewpiano

Those 'old' MS speakers are actually rather good - better than the Mezzo 2s I had previously actually. MS were a rather different company in those days.

I would be more inclined to match them with another amp of similar vintage. They work very well with my Sansui but its a rare model. I've also used them with a Technics SU-V55a I have and that worked very well too. One of the Technics amps from that series would make a good, cheap purchase that would keep those MS speakers singing. I'm not convinced that the Cambridge amps would be a good match.

pbgb1954

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I am a tight Yorkshireman so I don't want to spend any more than necessary!

To be really honest the age and standard of the remaining kit would suggest no more than £200 based on the limited research I've done - as to features there is nothing I really need over and above the basic.

pbgb1954

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks - the Cambridge is one of the ones that seems to be suggesting itself and the price seems to be (just) within budget. One thing to note is that both the tuner and the speakers are pretty darned good - which is why I am not scrapping the whole lot.

pbgb1954

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
In reply to matthewpiano I agree about the speakers - I loved them in 1987 and still do.

I am a bit nervous about buying vintage - I can see the reasoning but I think I might be setting myself up for, if not failure, at least uncertainty.

Also could you expand on why you aren't convinced about the Cambridge amps please ?

Thanks

Paul

A

Anonymous

pioneer SA-1000 (ebay item 250498962178) - buy it now= £169.99 or make an offer)

(old but good)

Pioneer SA-5500 MKII (ebay item 200386197144 ) buy it now = £69.99 (bargain)

loads more bargains - I prefer the cheaper older gear as I'm always skint)

matthewpiano

pbgb1954:
In reply to matthewpiano I agree about the speakers - I loved them in 1987 and still do.

I am a bit nervous about buying vintage - I can see the reasoning but I think I might be setting myself up for, if not failure, at least uncertainty.

Also could you expand on why you aren't convinced about the Cambridge amps please ?

Thanks

Paul

The thing about buying vintage is that it doesn't have to cost very much. That Technics SU-V55A only cost me £65 with the back-up of a proper safety test having been done by the seller (Green Home Electronics on the internet), and the Sansui only cost me £35 including the matching CD player on Ebay. So for a total of £100 I have two amps, both of which work very well with my speakers. If one fails, the other can step in. There is no reason why both shouldn't give many more years service.

With regards the Cambridge amps, they are very good in many ways but I've always ended up finding them soul-less in the end. I've had 540a v2, 640a v2, and 740a and after a while I've always stopped enjoying the music. The whole reason why I've gone back to vintage gear is because it simply enhances my enjoyment of the music. I paid £45 for the MS25Ti speakers in mint condition and I wouldn't swap them for anything, despite having had some very well regarded modern speakers (Quad 11L, Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 etc) in the past.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Older gear

I still own secondhand a rega brio and a pioneer a400. Both class amps! If you can get them for under a100£ do it! The brio cost me 60pnd and the a400 40 pnd - bargains or what!

cheers tony k

A

Anonymous

mathewpiano

a bit off topic, but perhaps you can advise as regards speakers?

have just upgraded my amp (pioneer A400) to an old Pioneer SA-9800 (will collect the amp next week) ...

currently the pioneer A400 is connected to a pair of B&W DM2 speakers (the 1st version-3 way transmissions) and a Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp

will keep the A400 for a bedroom system, and already have a spare pioneer cd player (old PD-S703 which I only paid £5 at a carboot sale-and in mint condition-came with original box and instructions etc)

so, will need a pair of smaller speakers and will possibly look at some Mordaunt short ... Which are the better Mordaunt short speakers (older cheaper type)? ... I dont want to pay more than £100 .... and would mordaunt short be a better option than the older diamonds?

T

the record spot

If you do a little scouting around and a bit of homework, £50 and maybe even less will get you a very good amp that'll do all you need and be every bit as capable as your £200 effort. Got my Sansui amp below for £33 delivered the other week and it's a fine amp. Plenty of good Rotels for the money too. Would absolutely put those up there with the current £200 crop of amps.

pbgb1954

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it gives me a 'nice warm feeling' that my relatively insignificant little problem got such thoughtful responses. Plenty to consider and a very definite theme developing - buy second hand. So it is with a renewed vigour I apply myself to seeing what I can find.

One thing that has pleased me it the discovery of Green Home Electronics - on first sight a perfect answer to my problem.

I let you know what I get once I have my replacement amp - once again thanks for the time, effort and good solid advice

A

Anonymous

Hi PBGB,

I don't subscribe to the "£200 = rubbish if you buy new" view. There are some excellent amps around at this price range. My preference at this price would be a Marantz PM6002. It is a very nice-sounding, good all-rounder amp, with a built in phono stage. This can be had for £200 if you shop around.
Marantz_PM6002_front_angle_1400.jpg

A

Anonymous

I don't subscribe to the "£200 = rubbish if you buy new" view

what we are trying to say, is that for £200 you will get something much much better when you buy classic/vintage gear .... at the end of the day, it's the quality of the sound produced that matters the most

matthewpiano

My £35 Sansui and £65 Technics eat the PM6002 alive.

Modern budget amps seem to do certain things very well but over-highlight their shortcomings. With the Marantz its poor performance at the bass end - no grip or proper sense of rhythm - and a tendency towards splashiness in the treble.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough, I haven't hear either of those two amps. However, my PM6002 has spent the last week on the end of some £750 speakers, not a match you would normally consider, and the results have been rather surprising.

A

Anonymous

An Audiolab 8000s can be had new for £250, with an original rrp of £500, this amp will eat anything in the £200-300 price bracket alive. Or try eBay for possibly sub £200.

A

Anonymous

good site there spacehopper .... some really good stuff ar good prices ... have added them to my list of favourites

A

Anonymous

I thoroughly agree with Matthew, my brother had the same Marantz amplifier and the problem is the bass is just lackluster, it has no control even at low volumes, he was using it with MS902i speakers which are very decent speakers for the money, I then used the speakers with my CA340c and it breathed new life into the speakers. If you do want Marantz I saw some KI amps going on ebay, check them out, and Im sure they sound much better than this one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts