Recommend an Album - Spotify Experiment

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I am always on the Look out for new Music and Artists, I like all sorts of stuff but have been listening to mainly Acoustic and Vocal stuff lately a primary consideration is that it is well recorded. Last FM is great for recommendations and Spotify is Good to get a Feeling for the Album before ordering it on CD but recommendations from other people can not be beaten.

If you can recommend a well recorded album what would it be it ideally needs to be readily available and on Spotify.

Now here is the experiment, I have opened a Collaborative Play-list in Spotify and added 2 albums I am considering buying just to get started, the link is below feel free to add an album to the list and add a post to say what you like about it. I am hoping it will not get abused or anything deleted, lets see what happens.

http://open.spotify.com/user/pwiles1968/playlist/53HIkjt7Ff62jNl2aTUozc

daveh75

Great idea, however having trouble getting your playlist to load up!

EDIT- But it seems spotify are having problems with play lists atm, according to their service status page here.

Will add some albums when the problem is sorted..

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Fell at the first Hurdle
emotion-9.gif
Hopefully they will be up and running soon.

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul,

My recommendation would be Helleborine by Shelleyan Orphan.

It first came out in 1987 and I found them through listening to all the 4AD stuff but they never quite took off which is a crying shame - although they released a new album last year. It still sounds absolutely incredible and judging by what type of music your listening to it will be right up your street .

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Opeth - Damnation.

Very good acoustic/vocal stuff. But if you like it, don't fall into the trap of buying any other Opeth albums. Unless you're a metal-head like me.

:)

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Guys I have added Both of them to the above play-list which does now appear to be working as someone has added an album fingers crossed it will be OK now.

The Opeth was not what I was looking for when I started the thread but it is the sort I listen too, I do like Nickleback, Creed, Chili Peppers etc but don't tend to listen to them that often now, how does it sound on a good system? Should have mentioned I really revel in a piece that has a good sound stage.

I did not have chance to look at anything yesterday my new speaker cable arrived, I thought I would just chuck it in quickly when I got home, once I got started I decided I needed to tidy up the cable run behind the hi-fi, 3 hours later the front room still looked like this-

hifimess.jpg

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
pwiles1968:

Thanks Guys I have added Both of them to the above play-list which does now appear to be working as someone has added an album fingers crossed it will be OK now.

The Opeth was not what I was looking for when I started the thread but it is the sort I listen too, I do like Nickleback, Creed, Chili Peppers etc but don't tend to listen to them that often now, how does it sound on a good system? Should have mentioned I really revel in a piece that has a good sound stage.

I did not have chance to look at anything yesterday my new speaker cable arrived, I thought I would just chuck it in quickly when I got home, once I got started I decided I needed to tidy up the cable run behind the hi-fi, 3 hours later the front room still looked like this-

hifimess.jpg

Looking at that photo, you must have a wife like mine. She never moans. Mine you I do get it tidied up.

A

Anonymous

pwiles1968:

hifimess.jpg

Sorry my missus go mental
emotion-2.gif

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
idc:It is working and cheated by adding two; Portico Quartet 'Knee Deep in the North Sea' and Penguine Cafe Orchestra 'When in Rome'.

No Cheating there bit much to ask someone to choose just 1 album may edit that bit out
emotion-2.gif
. Just started the Portico Quartet only the first track and I can already tell that really is my cup of tea, Thanks idc, Do you have Jazz at the Pawnshop? if you do not you have to keep your eye out think you will like it.

Thanks to everyone who is inputting, Looking forward to spending some quality Spotify time. Hoping this will might be useful to others too.

For Everyone, the other half is not that understanding I was not allowed to go to bed untill the room was tidy and the tools were away, if the kids were not asleep I would have had to Vac up.

A

Anonymous

I think this may well turn into a Spotfy's best playlist !

Hope you don't mind (and seeing idc cheated first) I added Jaga Jazzist - What We Must to it. Promise I won't add anymore.

Having a listen to it at the moment some interesting stuff.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Spacehopper:

I think this may well turn into a Spotfy's best playlist !

I do hope so.

No Problem adding more that is what it is for really, I am listening at home think there are 2 or 3 on there I could well be ordering soon.

So Far everything sounds pretty good, the only thing at the moment I definitely would not buy is the Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager, It is probably Just me and I don't know how to describe it but I don't like the vocal accent if that is a word? It is the same with Lily Allen Lovely Voice but just does not grab me, Kate Rusby is another one fantastic sound, Is it Just Me?

A

Anonymous

No I feel the same way about her Mockney accent - it's a pity as she does have quite a good voice when she chooses to use it.

I might add another to your playlist if you don't mind - St Vincent's first album is excellent and she's no Lily Allen.

idc

pwiles1968:

Do you have Jazz at the Pawnshop? if you do not you have to keep your eye out think you will like it.

Thanks for that. As a return recommendation Bill Bruford's Earthworks 'All Heaven Broke Loose'. I would add it to the list but that would be cheating again!

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
idc:pwiles1968:

Do you have Jazz at the Pawnshop? if you do not you have to keep your eye out think you will like it.

Thanks for that. As a return recommendation Bill Bruford's Earthworks 'All Heaven Broke Loose'. I would add it to the list but that would be cheating again!

No Go on if it is Good its not cheating, This could become a fantastic playlist, i have added pretty much everything on there to my Amazon wish list, I will keep en eye and try to pick them up as and when.

I am going in to spotify now to add one, I am sat now listening to my latest purchase Joshua Radin, it is georgeous.

idc

It is not on Spotify, though there is another Earthworks album which I will have a listen to. Spotify and McAfee have had an argument and McAfee won, it thought Spotify was a virus, so I have just got Spotify back....minus playlists...damn!

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
kena:

Paul,

I added Ron Sexsmith the other day - Would have added Time Being by him , but not on Spotify so added him latest.

Thanks for that one already added it to my wishlist
emotion-21.gif

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:Have added Thea Gilmore-Recorded Delivery to the list,

I had Harpos Ghost in my play-list for a while but took it out, I will be adding this one in I like it. How well recorded is it? sometimes live stuff can be iffy, it sounds OK on spotify but was not sure.

daveh75

pwiles1968:

I had Harpos Ghost in my play-list for a while but took it out, I will be adding this one in I like it. How well recorded is it? sometimes live stuff can be iffy, it sounds OK on spotify but was not sure.
Not sure how well recorded it is yet tbh, have only been listening to it on Spotify, which as you say sound's ok but given the bit rate's is hard say. Though have just ordered it from Amazon so will soon find out.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:pwiles1968:

Not sure how well recorded it is yet tbh, have only been listening to it on Spotify, which as you say sound's ok but given the bit rate's is hard say. Though have just ordered it from Amazon so will soon find out.

Let us know what you think when it arrives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts