The difference!

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I listen to music in various formats from physical to streaming and I always wondered if I could genuinely tell the difference between a Spotify stream and other formats, especially as I would consider my set ups from hifi separates to mobile listening at the budget end of the spectrum.

Last night I did a little experiment. Sat in bed with my budget Motorola phone, £180, my on ear Sony headphones £50, I set up an hour long playlist from my NAS drive through the Bubbleupnp app. After the play list finished, I played the last three songs ACDC's Razors Edge, Thunderstruck and Highway to Hell, through Spotify.

What a difference I find it difficult to actually put into words the difference I could hear but just to highlight one thing I could hear, the impact of the simple every 2 second drum beat on the intro to Thunderstruck was incredible through Bubble (I have my CD's ripped in the highest possible quality on my NAS drive.)

The drum beat was so much softer through Spotify and the discernable difference as each guitar; lead, rhythm and bass joins the introduction.

I'm not saying Spotify is awful but I'm actually glad I can tell the difference.

On another note the difference that sticks out like a sore thumb when we listen to Spotify at work. I have my old 30+years Denon PMA 250 MK2 at work driving some TDL book shelf speakers my son got from Facebook, and the source is a Harmen Kardon Bluetooth receiver and whatever phone we use. I have an old budget phone Honor 10 lite (£170 when new) that I use for streaming at work and my son has a ASUS ROG phone 3 £500. The quality of the sound through the ROG phone is miles better than my Honour phone. I was surprised at the difference it's compressed music from Spotify being compressed again over Bluetooth I didn't think that much difference would be evident.

So yep even at the budget end of the scale the difference is plainly evident.

daveh75

Your 'little experiment" is flawed in multiple ways unfortunately.

This is why double-blind testing is so important, as is level matching, plus you're comparing music from different sources...

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Your 'little experiment" is flawed in multiple ways unfortunately.

This is why double-blind testing is so important, as is level matching, plus you're comparing music from different sources...
Like I say just a little experiment to see if I could genuinely tell the difference between compressed music and non compressed both through the same phone and earphones. I always wondered whether I heard differences because I wanted to, you know a bit of hifi snobbery for want of a better word. There was more to the difference than just the impact of the drums etc the placing of instruments was better if you get what I mean.

I will still listen to streamed music like I said it's not awful and as I said on someone else's post a few weeks ago I was blown away by a Hifi Rose streamer and Fyne Audio speaker combination at my local hifi dealers a few weeks ago.

daveh75

Like I say just a little experiment to see if I could genuinely tell the difference between compressed music and non compressed both through the same phone and earphones.

If you want to know if you can genuinely tell the difference between uncompressed and compressed music take some of your CD rips and convert them to a lossy format and compare them directly, ideally having someone else switching between them.

You could go a stage further and use Foobar2K and the ABX comparator plugin, or there are online ABX tests you could try to completely remove any influence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts