Recommend an Album - Spotify Experiment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I just added Gomez' Bring It On album. IMHO an absolutely brilliant album. Quirky acousticy tuneage with a great singer. Im terrible at describing music. Sorry.It is rather good though.

A

Anonymous

Brilliant idea. Well done!!! I'll add an album later, following some serious deliberation.

By the way, I happened to pull out the Gomez album for the first time yesterday. Great album my missus owns.

The missus is an enigma. She doesn't appreciate the stereo as much as I do but she has great taste in music. Since I bought my system, over the year, I listen less to the electronica that I love and more to her cd collection (instrument based).ÿ

I will be keeping an eye on this

idc

All albums by Gomez are brilliant IMHO. Listening to St Vincent at the moment and it is really quite lovely
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

idc,

The St Vincent album is superb, I first heard her on 6 music playing live in the hub when this album came out and was blown away by how good she was. Great guitarist too. I will be downloading her new album over the weekend so looking forward to listening to it. You should check out Armchair Apocrypha by Andrew Bird another superb album (on Spotify as well).

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I iave just ordered 6 CD's from amazon, mix of second hand and new at good prices though so only cost £25 for all 6, Nick Drake, Elbow, Bon Iver, Gomez, Suzanne Vega and Matt Costa.

Have nearly all the albums from the playlist in my Wish List I will get then as and when I see bargains

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I fut up Susan Vega the other day but you should also check out Frou Frou (in the playlist now).

Enjoy (I know I do!)ÿ

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
pwiles1968:

I iave just ordered 6 CD's from amazon, mix of second hand and new at good prices though so only cost £25 for all 6, Nick Drake, Elbow, Bon Iver, Gomez, Suzanne Vega and Matt Costa.

Have nearly all the albums from the playlist in my Wish List I will get then as and when I see bargains

3 of the CD's arrived today, normally i take a few listens to settle in to a new CD but I'm already really impressed with one of them already > Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago.

I'm terrible at describing musical style so I have added it to the Spotify List, I have it on the CD deck now the recording quality is fantastic really clean. Thanks for all the recommendations keep them coming.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
i added the 'friday night in san franscisco' with paco de lucia.

but more importantly am enjoying somone elses album of Regina Spektor

daveh75

method man:

i added the 'friday night in san franscisco' with paco de lucia.

but more importantly am enjoying somone elses album of Regina Spektor

That was me and think it's a great album,Enjoy
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Ten Years Of Tears - Arab Strap

excellent restrospective of the miserablist duo.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
PJPro:Perhaps we could do one with just single tracks? A 5 star playlist, if you like.

Here You Go Same Drill any Genre but must be well recorded, but single tracks this time as many as you like but 1 track per album only.

I started it off with a Neil Diamond track from 12 songs excellent recording the Xylophone sounds excellent on a good system Spotify does not do it justice but here goes.

- http://open.spotify.com/user/pwiles1968/playlist/4mDrTAutED7hwyLnByyZY6

I will start another thread for this one.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Have not listened to the playlist for ages but as i was stuck at home following surgery (Nothing Too Serious and well on the way to recovery Already) I thought I would take a look, there is loads of new stuff on there so I thought I would drag the thread back up for a while.

While I'm Posting I have a great tip I picked up for bargain hunting on Amazon, if you have a Wish List go to http://zeezaw.co.uk from here you can set price alerts when an item in your list drops below a price you specify.

Have a Merry Christmas.

A

Anonymous

pwiles1968:

Have not listened to the playlist for ages but as i was stuck at home following surgery (Nothing Too Serious and well on the way to recovery Already) I thought I would take a look, there is loads of new stuff on there so I thought I would drag the thread back up for a while.

While I'm Posting I have a great tip I picked up for bargain hunting on Amazon, if you have a Wish List go to http://zeezaw.co.uk from here you can set price alerts when an item in your list drops below a price you specify.

Have a Merry Christmas.

I have been using zeezaw for a few weeks now.. Its a great!!

A

Anonymous

done some research a while back as regards good recordings .... here is a list of some ... (I own most of these cd's )

Mary Gauthier - Mercy

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Don McLean - American Pie

Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto #2

Nazaire - who's blues

Bert Kaempfert - The Collection

Jimi Hendrix - Electric ladyland

Herbie Hancock - River

Gil Scott - Heron / Brian Jackson - Winter in America

Steeley Dan - Gaucho

John Lee Hooker - Best of friends

Beck - Sea Change

Jackson Browne - solo acoustic volume 1

Donald Fagan - Morph the cat

Shelby Lynne - Suit yourself

Ben Harper - welcome to the cruel world

Van Morrison - Back on top

Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky

Daby Toure - Diam

Damien Rice - Live from the union chapel

Diana Krall - The Girl in the other room

A

Anonymous

had this link on my favourites .... Honour roll of Dynamic Recordings

you may find a few albums or tracks there that you enjoy

A

Anonymous

found a few more albums on my favourites that were recommended as very well recorded (all avail on spotify) ... here are a few from my list

Tales of the Inexpressible ... by a group called Shpongle

Chinese Democracy .... by Guns N' Roses

Best ... by Robert Earl Keen

The Trinity Session ... by Cowboy Junkies

Luke and the Locomotives ... by Robert Lucas

Soul Journey ... by Gilliam Welch

OK Computer ... by Radiohead

Wolf Tracks: Best of Los Lobos .... by Los Lobos

Under The Pink ... by Tori Amos

Rickie Lee Jones ... by Rickie Lee Jones

Into the Labyrinth ... by Dead Can Dance

Diamonds and Rust ... by Joan Baez