Receiver quandry to finish sexy projector set-up...

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
hey all, I'd really appreciate a few ideas from someone on what would be the best AV receiver to suit my new set up. Unbelievably my beautiful and understanding betrothed has allowed me to convert the large spare room into a cinema to house our stupidly huge film collection...I just need to get the right amp to finish the job and there's a bit of kit to consider

I have:

Infocus IN82 Projector, throwing onto a 2m Beamax motorized screen

PS3 for playing Blu rays and DVDs (although will prob add a seperate DVD player for non region 2 discs (unless there's a hack???). I have a single 15metre HDMI cable which is currently going direct from PS3 to projector (via the loft), but this will obviously come from the new reciever...

KEF 3005 SE Speakers and sub (5.1 so far) with the QED silver anniversary cables

Wii console

PS2 for playing all the old games (haven't felt the need yet I admit)

Apple Airtunes for playing all my music from the Macs in the house through the speakers

And here's the kicker

2 LASERDISC Players (and over 400 films I still love to watch...proper retro).

here's a schoolboy type question to throw in the mix....can laserdiscs be 'upscaled' via a receiver to improve the picture quality a touch or am I barking up the wrong tree?? Either way it will be connected to the receiver to send the picture to the projector via that HDMI cable. The PS3 is upscaling the dvds (is that right), but can a receiver do anything for Laserdiscs?

I'm also considering adding the sky+ box to the set up (or at least plumbing it through somehow from downstairs)

I was looking at a few options to replace the old Sony receiver (its about 8 years old but just about holding up):

Denon AVR 1909 scores well but I promised I wouldn't spend much more than £300 ish (can maybe push a little!). should I?

Sony 1200ES...I was gonna get this one, but now I feel after spending loads on other kit I should have the option of the new Dolby Digital True HD from my next blu ray discs (does the PS3 do this yet?) so should I rule this out?

or the newer Sony DG820...my concern with this being that it doesn't upscale...if that is in fact a viable/useful option to my kit. I like Sony's, I've used them all my adult life and understand them better than other brands...also aesthetically I think they match my other kit better than those ugly Onkyos...or is that just ridiculous? would i be better going that way?

Anyway, its a multi-faceted question and I hope one or more of you wonderful people has some ideas and woulnd't mind replying.

Thanks for reading

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Your budget will leave you with only a small selection, and upscaling abilities diminished of not completely absent. At this price point you won't be getting the best out of the KEF's, but it will sound OK. I'd recommend a starting point of the Denon 1909 or Onkyo 606, although our 3005SE's have sounded best on the end of a Yamaha 3800. Any decent speaker will improve with a better amplifier, so get the best you can, especially if it's going to be the heart of a large music/movie system.

And yes, an upscaling amplifier will upscale ANY signal that passes through it.

And beware, SD Sky can look pretty awful on a projector.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
lordguffington:Denon AVR 1909 scores well but I promised I wouldn't spend much more than £300 ish (can maybe push a little!). should I?
Well if you want upscaling, I think you're going to have to! Neither the Sony STR-DG820 or the STR-DA1200ES offer it - you're really looking at the Onkyo TX-SR606 or the Denon AVR-1909 at the moment. The Sony STR-DA2400ES will be out at end of August but is scheduled to cost £500. I would definitely get one that supports the HD audio formats as well - your PS3 is capable of decoding all the HD audio formats onboard and sending them as Linear PCM via the HDMI port so you'll want an amp capable of receiving this (all of the ones mentioned above can do this). However, it might be prudent to get one which can decode onboard to protect you against any future purchases e.g. stand-alone Blu-Ray player.

lordguffington:can laserdiscs be 'upscaled' via a receiver to improve the picture quality
I would assume so - it really depends on how you connect them up (I have to admit, Laserdisc was a bit before I got into Home Cinema so I don't actually know!). From what I can see on a few old players I've looked at, it seems to be S-Video or Composite which can be hooked into the amp and assuming you have an amp which upscales, this will work fine. Don't forget though, your projector will also be able to upscale the picture - I'm not sure what the one in the IN82 projector is like and how it would compare with the likes of the Onkyo / Denon - maybe Clare can provide more info here?

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
that's great guys, thank you very much for getting back to me...that's a big help.

Thewife has had a look with me at your replies and I think that your tech-savvy comments will justify spending a little more (considering we've already spent quite a bit on the projector and speakers etc).

I'm thrilled to hear the upscaling will add quality to even such an old format as the Laserdiscs (the output of the players is scart/composite and one of the players has AC3 RF out - not sure how that connects up to a Receiver actually!).

I like the sound of the upcoming Sony STR-DA2400ES which would tick all the upscaley and True HD boxes and suit my penchant for Sony (and I gather the set-up and menus are far superior to it's competitors which would doubtless aid a novice like myself?)...it's on for pre-order with Play.com at £399 which isn't that much of a stretch I reckon. Oddly it's pictured with two remotes, what's that all about??:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/281/363/-/5749561/Sony-STR-DA2400ES-7-1-Channel-Receiver/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

Is there a review for this available, I can't find one? on the site...or a few notes you could give me? Anything would be hugely appreciated. Or if you think the Denon is the way to go...I'm all ears!

Sorry to ask ANOTHER witless question, but do I switch ALL the upscalers on: PS3, Projector and Receiver or will they interfere with each other?...and if I only use one, which would do the job best (or is it trial and error time?)

And for sky...I guess I should get an HD box for the cinema and just accept its only an extra tenner every month!? We'll see about that!!

Anyway, thanks again guys, you've been a great help.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Dunno what the two remotes is all about - looks like a multi-room thing but I haven't seen that on any of the specs. No review as yet as I don't think it's released till end of August (as reported here - I'd be more inclined to trust this rather than Play's release schedule!).
On the upscaling, can I make a suggestion of checking out the Onkyo 875? It has a brilliant upscaling chip in it which would work much better with a projector - I know it's what Clare Newsome (Editor in Chief of WHF) uses and she has always waxed lyrical on it. I've seen another post on the forum where someone has indicated it is now £600 (down from £1,000). Just a thought!
When it comes to upscaling, it really is a case of trial and error. So if you switch the PS3 upscaling on, the receiver and projector will do nothing as the signal is already at the resolution you want it. If you turn PS3 upscaling off and switch the amp upscaling on, again, the projector will do nothing as it will already be at the correct resolution. And finally, if you switch PS3 and amp upscaling off, the projector will do it for you. So best bet is to have a trial and error and see which you think brings the best picture.

lordguffington

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
hey professor

thanks again dude, you've been a real winner on this topic and i've learned alot the last day or two!...I'm going to wait for the new Sony reviews i reckon and make a decision between the onkyo 875 and the most suitable sony right after that...then I'll have some upscaling fun and games setting it all up...

by the way, regarding the issue of those pictured two separate remotes...an amazon customer review for the new sony 3300 noted:

"(the unit comes with a comprehensive universal remote
and a smaller, input + volume type remote, which I use) to do just
about everything."

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DA3300ES-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B000UNKCGE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1217437527&sr=1-10

what a good idea! hope thats carried over to the UK releases.

please do let me know your thoughts on the comparison when you've had a chance to have a look for yourself...i'll take your word for it since Ill have sod-all chance to test them side by side...

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts