Question RCA interconnect

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Mark Dunlop

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
If constructed and terminated correctly then there is no verifiable reason why a bundled cable of sufficient gauge will sound any different to any aftermarket cable of the same gauge and construction. Same applies to power leads.

The only thing I would say about that is that when it comes to power leads, I bought a Rotel A11 Tribute amp and found that it had an audible transformer hum when switched on at the wall - didn't have to be "On". I didn't like it and was thinking about buying a DC blocker. In the event, I bought a length of good mains cable, a mains plug and a kettle plug and made a new lead. It doesn't hum now. I realise that that's not "sound" as such, but removing the DC hum certainly made the sound of the music more enjoyable. I might be wrong, but I thought the issue with cables and sound was that some cables filter out e.g. RF noise more effectively than others. IF removing extraneous noise from a system is the intention and IF some cables do that more effectively, why wouldn't there be a higher price for those that do it better?
m.d.

gasolin

I needed some longer cable since those i have with rca to rca is a little short

What i use atm waiting for the roland cable to arrive might be good enought but i wanted somthing in the right length,black and okay thickness

I wanted some qed but couldn't justify buying qed profile for about 60 euros or performance for a little more (even when cables from my pc to my dac and preamp is just about the same for the 2 cables and using QED Performance Audio 40i i think it is (40i not 40) from my cd player i thought 60 euros or more atm was to expensive

They have a very good tight connection, made for professionel use and have a good price, can easily be an alternative to amazon basic cables, mine was from amazon.de with free delivery (1 week)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufkPevd7IU

gasolin

QUED XT 25 Recent purchase Bi wired .
Fair play to you.

I tried bi-wiring with my old Arcam and MA RSs, by the time you add in the extra cost of the cables it really isn't worth it.

I watched a YouTube video of Lee Taylor, one of the founder members of Leema Acoustics, and he said Dali are the second biggest producer of speaker cabinets. Dali only allow single wire.

That's quite a claim as Leema first started out in 1998 as only producing speakers.

dali-opticon-6-3[1].jpg

Reactions: hifi

gasolin

It comes from marketing.
The claims and explanations regarding benefits can look extremely convincing (It's just possible that some believe their own claims).
That and the reassuringly high prices lead otherwise rational people to believe.

The understandable question for many then becomes "How could such cables not be better?"

Often expensive cable are made with material and in such a way that they do sound different, when you can afford expensive cable you also have an expensive system where you can hear a difference

What trickers me is when watching hifi videos where some are using power cable, mains on a entry level amp like a nac c316bee or cambridge audio axa 35 that costs several 100 euros, might be the same they test everything with but some do use very expensive cable relative to the cost of an amp or speakers or cdplayer, unless it's what they always use for testing i don't get that

Last edited:
Reactions: hifi

gasolin

Fair play to you.

I tried bi-wiring with my old Arcam and MA RSs, by the time you add in the extra cost of the cables it really isn't worth it.

I watched a YouTube video of Lee Taylor, one of the founder members of Leema Acoustics, and he said Dali are the second biggest producer of speaker cabinets. Dali only allow single wire.

That's quite a claim as Leema first started out in 1998 as only producing speakers.

Hey dude, it's really not expensive to try bi wiring, expenses,what it costs shouldn't be an excuse for not trying bi wiring

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Often expensive cable are made with material and in such a way that they do sound different, when you can afford expensive cable you also have an expensive system where you can hear a difference

What trickers me is when watching hifi videos where some are using power cable, mains on a entry level amp like a nac c316bee or cambridge audio axa 35 that costs several 100 euros, might be the same they test everything with but some do use very expensive cable relative to the cost of an amp or speakers or cdplayer, unless it's what they always use for testing i don't get that
And some with expensive systems stick with cheap cable because they can't hear a difference... pick a nice sleeve colour because that's the only difference you'll ever see or hear :)

daveh75

Ah, the "you need a resolving enough system to hear a difference" is being trotted out I see...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WayneKerr
Hey dude, it's really not expensive to try bi wiring, expenses,what it costs shouldn't be an excuse for not trying bi wiring

I did try bi-wiring and couldn't hear any real sonic benefits, just mentioned the extra cost as it's money for old rope.

As we used to say in sales (not hi-fi related): KIS: Keep It Simple.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts