Question RCA interconnect

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Once again i would appreciate an explanation as to how changing an amplifiers mains cable can effect a systems dynamics ?
I bet you would. Quite a few of us would.
It's a question that deserves an answer.
There is no answer.
A common response is to say that not every improvement can be measured,
There does not need to be a scientific / technical reason for the improvement they hear.....they say.

But the problem is, there does.
Every time there is a genuine audible improvement, something has actually changed - if you measure, something can be measured.

The review of that pathetic vinyl accessory (on another thread) sums up the attitude of the open-minded believers.
The reviewer marvels at the fact that the sound has been improved, but the sound hasn't been changed......work that one out 🤔
He was told there would be an improvement.
He heard an improvement.

Last edited:
While I was looking at the back of the system it did stand out too me my Rega planner 2 turntable was supplied with a very basic looking cable and cant be changed ! unless you open it up i guess ?
Yep, the Rega arms have quite modest looking cable, especially the older models (I still have one). They seem to work well enough, or you can pay a considerable sum to have the entire arm rewired.

Last edited:

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site

There will be no difference in sound quality, between these 2 cables. The physics required to pass current, at the required voltage, will mean the information is carried exactly the same. The information doesn't 'see' fancy materials and bits of wood. It's snake oil and pretentious nonsense.

BURN THE HERETIC

Reactions: Noddy
of course i am very greatful for all the help thank you didnt mean too be ungreatful.
That's fine. But if you're looking for a meaningful upgrade, cables isn't the answer.

At best they will ever so slightly tweak the tonal balance, assuming you can keep family members quite, tell the neighbours to stop strimming the privet hedge, close all the windows and doors.... you might just hear a smidgen of a tonal difference.

You are better off upgrading a cartridge on a turntable or changing the layout of your room, putting carpet or a rug down (if you have hard flooring), adding a bookcase or buying a cheap sofa (absorbs any sonic nasties).

Since my first system in 1978 I've experimented with so many things to help improve sound quality. Some have worked other ideas have been total plums.

Reactions: Noddy

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
That's fine. But if you're looking for a meaningful upgrade, cables isn't the answer.

At best they will ever so slightly tweak the tonal balance, assuming you can keep family members quite, tell the neighbours to stop strimming the privet hedge, close all the windows and doors.... you might just hear a smidgen of a tonal difference.

You are better off upgrading a cartridge on a turntable or changing the layout of your room, putting carpet or a rug down (if you have hard flooring), adding a bookcase or buying a cheap sofa (absorbs any sonic nasties).

Since my first system in 1978 I've experimented with so many things to help improve sound quality. Some have worked other ideas have been total plums.
Thank you i am still learning and exploring its part of the fun

Thank you i am still learning and exploring its part of the fun
It can be fun -- the chase is always the fun part but the execution can be disappointing.

Looking at your budget kit it's very nice set-up. My system is midrange yet all my cables are very modest: Merlin Chopin (£60), Chord Crimson x 2 (£40 ish), Chord Chrysalis (£20), and Atlas Equator 4 meters (£32).

To improve on that my guess would be to spend around £150 on each cable. Is my system worth that investment? I would say not, despite it being high quality.

If cables are a serious investment set that against the collective price of your system.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
It can be fun -- the chase is always the fun part but the execution can be disappointing.

Looking at your budget kit it's very nice set-up. My system is midrange yet all my cables are very modest: Merlin Chopin (£60), Chord Crimson x 2 (£40 ish), Chord Chrysalis (£20), and Atlas Equator 4 meters (£32).

To improve on that my guess would be to spend around £150 on each cable. Is my system worth that investment? I would say not, despite it being high quality.

If cables are a serious investment set that against the collective price of your system.
The only reason ive been thinking about the interconnects is thats its the oldest part of my system and tech moves on and on, cables must have changed ??
im going too try the Chord Company c line its worth the know .
I am also going too set up a old Arcam sysem i have had for years and swap the cables too see what the result is .

Gray

The only reason ive been thinking about the interconnects is thats its the oldest part of my system and tech moves on and on, cables must have changed ??
I am also going too set up a old Arcam sysem i have had for years and swap the cables too see what the result is .
If you can, get someone else to do the cable swaps - so that you've got no idea what you're listening to.
See if you can consistently identify the more expensive, 'superior' cable.....good luck (you're going to need it).

Reactions: WayneKerr
You would think cables have moved on, but it's one aspect that hasn't. As I said, I still use Chord Chrysalis RCAs I purchased in the late 90s (What Hi-fi first reviewed them in 1997), and really they are no better or worse than my Chord Crimsons or any other brand around that price point.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Because it doesn't enhance the sound. It's another big myth in hi-fi. The only benefit of bi-wiring is if you're bi-amping a power amp.

Some speakers only produce the capability for single wire, my Leema only has terminals for single wire, same with Dynaudio and Dalis. Work it out for yourself
i tried both ways with all formats there is a diffrence in many ways !

TRENDING THREADS