Question RCA interconnect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all lots of food for thought here ! i need too pull out the whole system has its in a cabinet and the backs sealed too see what make the old 1s are.
I know they were not cheap 15 years ago lol.

Thanks so much every one i was looking at the Chord company c line in the reviews .

robdmarsh

I've been changing my interconnects over the last month or so, and decided the best value for money was to make my own. I made three sets using three different kinds of cable:
Belden 8402 with Sewell deadbolt gold plated solderless plugs - total cost £32/m
Mogami 3368 with Rhodium plated solderless plugs from Amazon - total cost £16/m
Sommer SC Spirit cable with the same Rhodium plated solderless plugs - total cost £13/m

All three sound better than my Audio Quest Tower lead which was £23/0.5m, but I think the Belden sounds best of the three. Definitely worth making your own RCA leads! You can buy perfectly good RCA plugs for very little, or you can buy really expensive ones. Belden 8402 works out about £12/m.
m.d.
Really interesting post. I bet more of us would do this if we had the skills or confidence to try it. You say you're getting results which can match the pricey stuff of manufacturers like Audioquest? (No, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm a cable believer.)

Reactions: Mark Dunlop

robdmarsh

Interconnects make no difference. I've had my Merlin Chopins since 2007/2008 and they sound fab.

I also have a set of Chord Chrysalis since the late 1990s, still sound good.

If they are working fine, stick with what you have. I've only changed my old Cambridge Reference cables because they were faulty (Basil) 😁
Are you actually speaking from experience when you say "interconnects make no difference"?

robdmarsh

Hi All I am looking to upgrade my interconnects as they are about 10 years old my question is how much should i spend without going over board and how much difference will these make ?
my system is all Marantz 6005 CD Amp and streamer the speakers are Wharfedale 12.3 these are my most recent upgrade and wow they are brilliant.
my first post BTW . I listen too all genres of music . Thanks all.
You're a brave man jumping in here with that topic as your first post! Anyway, I've got Chord C-line interconnects and think they sound very nice. Try them on a 30 day return basis.

podknocker

There will be no difference in sound quality, between these 2 cables. The physics required to pass current, at the required voltage, will mean the information is carried exactly the same. The information doesn't 'see' fancy materials and bits of wood. It's snake oil and pretentious nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noddy

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site

There will be no difference in sound quality, between these 2 cables. The physics required to pass current, at the required voltage, will mean the information is carried exactly the same. The information doesn't 'see' fancy materials and bits of wood. It's snake oil and pretentious nonsense.
Makes sense too me the prices vary so much yet some people do spend £100s on these cables. thanks .

D

Deleted member 201267

Or Nordosts top of the range :-

D

Deleted member 201267

ive just looked i thought i had a older type i have van den hifi and cambdridge audio 🌝

Did the CD player come with a free interconnect cable ?

If so i would try that to see if you notice any difference compared to the current cable your using.

If you were already using the "freebie" however i would then, possibly, suggest you try something like the Chord Company C-line as already suggested.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Did the CD player come with a free interconnect cable ?

If so i would try that to see if you notice any difference compared to the current cable your using.

If you were already using the "freebie" however i would then, possibly, suggest you try something like the Chord Company C-line as already suggested.

i have looked they are Van del Hul cables !

D

Deleted member 201267

i have looked they are Van del Hul cables !

So Marantz supplied you with a "branded" Van den Hul cable ?

Usually you get something that looks like this :-

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
In my experience, cables, whether speaker or RCAs, make no difference unless possibly you go for really eye wateringly expensive ones.

The best cable upgrades I've found is:

Buy a bottle of methylated spirit or white spirit, on a cloth, and thoroughly clean all the terminals, cable ends and/or banana plugs.
I do like a good spirit lol Cheers !

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
While I was looking at the back of the system it did stand out too me my Rega planner 2 turntable was supplied with a very basic looking cable and cant be changed ! unless you open it up i guess ?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts