Question regarding AV rack

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
I plan to buy an AV rack which I will use also for my HiFi devices (mainly my Cyrus One and Marantz CD6002)
Most of the AV racks have 2 or 3 shelves which sometimes limit the number of devices you can put on it (specially if you plan to use the top shelf for a flat TV
My question is: How bad is it to place 2 devices one on the top of the other (e.g. my CD players on the top of a Panasonic DVD player)? Will this have any effect on the sound quality? Usually someone gets a HiFi/AV rack to avoid vibrations and improve the sound quality. If I place 2 devices one on the top of the other will this impact the sound quality of my CD or DVD player?
Thanks in advance,

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. Very clear response :)
The problem is that I need to use the same rack for both AV and HiFi and it has to go between the 2 front speakers and under the projector's screen or a 50" wall mounted TV which means it cannot be extremely high. The idea is to put the central speaker on the top of the AV rack which leaves me space for 4 devices......any help/idea?
I can think of buying 2 Atacama HiFi racks of 4 shelves each and use the 2 top shelves of each rack for the central speaker leaving me space for 6 devices.....of course this solution is more expensive......or maybe I can somehow wall mount the central speaker freeing the 2 top shelves (or the top shelf in case of the AV rack)
Any help welcome
Thanks in advance,

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I know the Equinox AV is designed to be used as a maximum three-decker - ie a base unit and an extra shelf module on top - , but I suspect that's because of stablity issues should you pile it really high and then put a socking great heavy 50in plasma on top.

I'd suspect with a relatively light load, such as just your centre speaker, on the top, and keeping anything heavy - such as the AV receiver - on the bottom shelf, you might be able to get away with a second shelf unit on top of the Equinox.

A word with Atacama - it's 01455 283 251

or email
post@atacama-audio.co.uk

- explaining what you want to do will soon find out whether I am barking up completely the wrong tree here, at least in official terms. But we've used taller Equinox stacks in our listening rooms with no problems.

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Hello what hi-fi staff,

I would be much obliged, if you could let me know, which retailer you got the av rack in this video from:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhathifiTv#p/u/42/1rCma1yvpF4

It's a what hi-fi video on how to get the most out of your hifi.

This might sound silly, but it's exactly the av rack i want and not available in my country.

Thank you in advance!

TRENDING THREADS