Query for daveh75

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Calling daveh75 or anyone with an opinion : Could you kindly consider the following (possibly daft) query.

I have Sky+ installed. If I purchase a Freesat Box, can I connect it to one of the downleads from the Sky dish and receive HD programms (and other channels)

If this is possible, to avoid re connection back and forth between the Sky+ box and the Freesat box , is there af orm of splitter or other device to switch from one to the other.

Your (or anyone else's) advice would be greatly appreciated.

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Assuming you have a free LNB on your dish, then you can of course connect a freesat box to this. But you will only get Freesat channels, and only get HD if your freesat box is HD capable.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply mjs'

Yes, I will get a Freesat which is HD capable.

I have 4 LNB on the Sky dish - 2 for Multi-room (these are for my daughters bedrooms and are sacrosant) and 2 for the two tuners on the Sky+ box

So I will have to use one of the leads connected to the Sky box to connect to the Freesat HD capable box - thus losing one of my recording capabilities. Is there any way around this?

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
john jed:

Many thanks for your reply mjs'

Yes, I will get a Freesat which is HD capable.

I have 4 LNB on the Sky dish - 2 for Multi-room (these are for my daughters bedrooms and are sacrosant) and 2 for the two tuners on the Sky+ box

So I will have to use one of the leads connected to the Sky box to connect to the Freesat HD capable box - thus losing one of my recording capabilities. Is there any way around this?
Yep, get an 8LNB fitted. Sorted

A

Anonymous

Yep, get an 8LNB fitted. Sorted

Hi Rod,

Is this fitting of an 8LNB an easy job? Or do I need an expert?

daveh75

john jed: I have Sky+ installed. If I purchase a Freesat Box, can I connect it to one of the downleads from the Sky dish and receive HD programms (and other channels) You will receive HD yes,obviously an HD box is required though.As for using the second feed from the Sky box,then as suggested you're going to lose the functionality of that tuner.

It's also worth noting that Sky+ boxes dont alway's like only being fed with one feed,and can throw up "no sat signal being received/channel un-available" error messages or indeed lock up/freeze altogether,when being used with a single feed as they dont have single feed functionality built into them like the Foxsat HDR for examplejohn jed:If this is possible, to avoid re connection back and forth between the Sky+ box and the Freesat box , is there af orm of splitter or other device to switch from one to the other.The short answer is no,you can't split a satellite signal like you can a terrestrial aerial signal.You could get an A/B switch would allow you to switch the feed between the two boxes like this to save physically having to swap the cable's from one box to the other but doesn't solve the functionality problem's.

As Rod has already mentioned you'd be better of swapping your quad LNB for an octo LNB and running a dedicated feed or feeds if going for the twin tuner Foxsat HDR.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Am sure Dave will agree get a professional in, unless you have the right alignment equipment and tools / high grade cable etc.To give you the best possible reception. Shoudn"t cost too much as you already have a Dish in Alignment. good luck JJ

daveh75

It is relatively simple to change it yourself yes,but,only if your dish is easily accessible or you are competent at working at height's/up ladder's!

If in any doubt get a pro in as Rod suggested. It wont cost to much for an installer to supply/fit an LNB and run the additional cabling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts