Quality & Value bookself speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I' ve been reading a lot of reviews about small size - large capabilities bookself speakers and I have identified so far the:

Whaferdale Diamonds 9.1, B&W 686 and the Monitor Audio BR2. All these have very good reviews and approx the same price.

(They will be driven by the TEAC 300 mk III reference series).

Any comments on which pair to choose?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you considered B&W 601s or 602s?

I think you will find more of them for sale on Ebay then in shops but i wouldnt rule them out.

Go for very good prices also currently.

Let us know which path you have chosen to take.

A

Anonymous

Finally gone for the B&W 686 mainly for the looks of them - classic black box with edges, much fresher looks than the MA BR2, and the diamonds 9.1 seen old these days.

However bit more expensive than the MA BR2 with no sound to justify that.

Bottom line - very happy

A

Anonymous

686's are easily worth the £80 step up from the BR2's.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]686's are easily worth the £80 step up from the BR2's.[/quote]

Well, I thought that the BR2's sounded better than the B&W 685 so I can't imagine the 686 sounding better than the BR2's.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cypher"]
[quote user="Fraziel"]686's are easily worth the £80 step up from the BR2's.[/quote]

Well, I thought that the BR2's sounded better than the B&W 685 so I can't imagine the 686 sounding better than the BR2's.
[/quote]

just had an all afternoon demo session and tested out the br1,br2,686,685 and mon audio RS1 using a roksan Kandy and arcam CD73T cd player.

the Br2's were not even close to being in the same class as the b and w's.

Finish was not as good, they were boxier sounding ( the soundstage and dynamics of the 686's better even than the RS1's ),they are not as punchy or as clean and in detailed treble. Mid range of 686's was outstanding and they created a 3d picture that the BR2's could not hold a candle to.They sounded every inch a much cheaper speakerand the 686's wiped the floor with them EVERY respect.

How you can say that the BR2's are better is truly astonishing.

My friend has a teac 300 system and it sounded superb using my S1's.Not sure how it will cope with 686s though as it has limited power.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I said that the BR2 sounded better than the 685, I've never heard the 686. The only thing that worries me is the sensitivity of 84 db, but you made me very curious about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts