Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster...

Anyway;

I've currently got the following:

Cambridge Audio A1

Project Expression III

Q Acoustics 1010i

as a budget hifi system. Speakers are connected with some £7 a metre wire, the make of which I can't remember... Recommended by the bloke in my local shop though.

I've decided to upgrade in the near future - a new amp is my first step. I've got a budget of probably £150-200 (hopefully closer to £150) and very happy to go second hand. Number one target at the moment is the Harman Kardon HK6550 after reading rave reviews on another hifi site, and when they pop up for sale used they usually go for around the £150 mark. Also on my radar is the Harman Kardon HK980 (big fan of the look of it, a minor concern but would be nice to have a pretty system...), Marantz PM6003, Rotel RA-04, and some of the Cambridge Audio Azur ones of various model numbers. I need a good MM phono stage for my turntable but other than that don't really have any specific requirements...

Then step two would be new speakers. Thinking standmounts, top candidates currently Wharfedales (9.1, 10.1), Mordaunt Short Aviano, Monitor Audio BR2 & Dali Lektor 1s.

Basically I'm looking for any and all comments regarding everything I've posted above. Advice, good buys, what to look for... anything at all.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Take a look at NAD too. Pretty good stuff from what others on the forum have to say about them

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. Any recommended specific models? Most of the newest NADs that would be within budget don't seem to have built in phono stages.

A

Anonymous

Not forgetting Rotel which also have very phono stages especially the older kit

A

Anonymous

Which Rotels would you recommend? A newer model like the RA-05 or something older? Thanks.

T

the record spot

That HK that's on the 'bay right now - as in the 6550 - would be WELL worth chasing. Those 1990s models are fine bits of kit and the 6550 is underrated over here. Big sellers in Germany and I've got it on my watchlist - won't be bidding on it, but I'm interested to see what it goes for. Though you never know...
emotion-5.gif

The others will do a decent job, the speaker cable at £7 a metre is a bit keen, but you needn't go mad on this stuff. An awareness of what makes up a decent cable, rather than price, is far more important and the quality of the recordings yet moreso.

If you're looking for new amps, the HK980 would be good, as would the Audiolab 8000s (or older 8000A), both of which offer the possibility to add power amps in time (and some fine deals to be had on Audiolab's outgoing amps and power amps right now - two monoblocks and a pre-amp for less than £1000 for instance).

HOWEVER, as you're also looking at upgrading the speakers, you might consider the active route as well, which gets you the amp and speakers, or more accurately, the amps in speakers (it's the way I tell 'em...)! The Yamaha HS80 at around £350, the KRK Rokit 5 (around £250 I think) or at a push, the Genelec 6010A might be worth a listen and you're local pro-audio shop will be happy to demonstrate.

For regular passive speakers, Mission have some new boxes out at £150 which look and sound the part (assuming you like the look and enjoy the sound) and would work well in both terms with the HK980 too I think. They edge towards brightness according to the review, but Peter Comeau is the designer (big industry guru) looking after much of IAG's speaker work currently and these are the first under his watch for Mission. Thereafter, see Q Acoustics 2020 standmounts which are worth a second glance.

For speaker cable, 322 multi-strand copper cable at around 50-80p a metre is what I use and is really quite superb for the task in hand and the sound quality it gives. It replaced Audioquest Type IV which I'd used for 13 years and still would've done yet, but fancied trying out the cheaper one. It bore out what I felt regarding interconnects (content and build quality, not the packaging and hefty cost on the pretty box) and so I can sell the Audioquest at a decent price to cover my £5.49 for the new stuff! All that is, of course, your choice to pursue or not, but given my current cabling has cost me £12 and the performance is superb, it's roughly the cost of a round that could maybe save you substantially more.

Either way, happy listening and good luck with the bids!

T

the record spot

Incidentally, if your HK6550 bid goes whatsits-up, then there's a very good looking HK1200 amp on its tail. This is line-only, but picked up great reviews in its day (mid-90s). Budget for a phono pre-amp on top though. Great bit of kit though and will go for less than £100 I think.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered keeping your speakers and just adding a subwoofer? The 1010i speakers do sound good, they just don't produce much low-frequency bass. I also own some 1010i speakers but with the Q Acoustics 1000Si subwoofer and the difference it makes is huge!

Using some speaker stands would help improve the sound quality a lot too - these would be worth getting wether or not you decide keep or upgrade your current speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that the best way to decide is to make a shortlist of possible upgrades that you're considering then find a shop that will let you give them listen so that you can choose which ever sounds best to your ears.

The qualities that myself or someone else like may not be the same or suit the music that you like best.

A

Anonymous

I can't afford to buy until late September otherwise I would have had that HK6550, went for around £100 in the end which seems ridiculously cheap. But oh well, hopefully there'll be more popping up...

Yeah the cable was an impulse buy, was in the local hi-fi store looking for some cable as I had literally none and he recommended it and I said yes. Easily influenced by salesmen me..

I like the look of the Audiolab 8000A you suggested, the later MKIII models seem to be going for around the same money as the HK6550. I think it's probably going to be one of those that I pick up depending on supply, though at this point I'd prefer the HK6550 I think.

I'll probably end up using the 1010is until after Christmas and then invest a bit more in the speakers depending on what's available (and on offer) when I come to buying them. I've not heard any, but I like the look of B&Ws, Monitor Audio & Mordaunt Shorts but I'll see closer to the time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts