Speaker Advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would welcome some advice please. My Dad (who is 80 years of age) wishes to update his Hi-Fi system. He has enlisted my help to research it for him ! He was originally going to purchase the Denon DM38, but on reading the review in this month’s What Hi-Fi magazine, thinks the newer DM39 would be better. The main stumbling block now is which speakers to choose. He is not keen on visiting a showroom to listen to the speakers, and is happy to accept the advice of the experts. The speakers will be situated on wooden corner shelves in the far corners of the room (against a wall) at a height of about 6 foot. The room is approx 18ft long by 10ft wide. I have done some research and this is what I have come up with:-

1. Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 – These seem to attract the best reviews and comments. They are just within his budget.

2. Dali Zensor 1 – Again seem to have good reviews, but some people say they are lacking in bass.

3. Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 or 10.1 (The 9.1’s seemed to attract great reviews – are these even better ?)

4. Finally just seen some KEF C1 as a package deal, but not researched these !

My Dad and I would really appreciate any help or advice regarding the speakers mentioned above or any others we may not have even considered.

Many thanks
smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ladybird and welcome.I haven't heard the Denon so it's hard to know for sure.....but I would probably go for Wharfedale 9.1s from here, as they are good value and front ported:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2442-wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-pair.aspx?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

The 10.1s are rear ported and so would be less suitable.

With having them placed on shelves, put some Blu-Tak under them to help with isolation/stability.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for your replies. The Wharfedale 9.1's sound perfect for my Dad's requirements. I've checked out the link, but sadly they are out of stock at the moment. I've signed up for an e-mail notification in the hope they will come back into stock. Thanks for the advice about the 10.1's - we don't want to upset the neighbours ! I think the Dali are also rear ported, so that would rule those out too.

Many thanks again - your advice is appreciated.

Linda (aka Ladybird)
smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In case they don't become available in a suitable period of time, these might do, but they are not quite as good: http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk

A

Anonymous

Thank you again. Will keep the 9.0 in reserve, and will keep an eye on the Ebay auction - I've added it to my watch list. It seems the website mentioned earlier has one in stock, but that's in Birmingham and is "collection only".

Ladybird said:
Thank you again. Will keep the 9.0 in reserve, and will keep an eye on the Ebay auction - I've added it to my watch list. It seems the website mentioned earlier has one in stock, but that's in Birmingham and is "collection only".

At least the ebay ones could be picked up by a courier although probable not worth it if the price goes much higher.

Others are OK if you happen to live in Birmingham I suppose. :)

A

Anonymous

Just a quick question - supposing the Diamond 9.1's don't come back into stock soon, I have just been reading about the Tannoy Mercury V1, and wonder if these would represent a reasonable alternative ??

Thanks again
smiley-smile.gif

Al79

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the Denon DM38 using Mordaunt Short Aviano and can say outstanding sound. I also have Tannoy Mercury V1 on an old seperates system and tried these on Denon and was really impressed with the sound. With speakers is based on where they placed and personal taste

A

Anonymous

Thank you. Sounds like the Tannoy could be an option then ? My Dad is wondering if it would be worth spending the extra to get the Monitor Audio BX2, but it sounds to me he may be better either waiting for the Diamond 9.1 to come back into stock, or going for the Tannoys.

I may be wrong, no doubt other forum members will intervene if I am, but I do not think the BX2's would be too happy up against a wall in a corner and six foot off the ground, even if it is front-ported.

Ideally all of these speakers should be positioned on stands if at all possible to get the best out of them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts