Quality of some Blu-ray Discs

T

theflyingwasp

There's no point in having all this excellent equipment if I'm going to watch DVDs but a lot of the older catalogue blu ray titles look no better than the DVD ,I understand films like point break,the goonies,ghostbusters the list goes on and on are old films now and they are never going to spend as much money on police academy 3 as they would remastering Ben hur ,but with the intelligent frame creation cranked up and the upscaling from the oppo 103 I'd be better just sticking with my DVDs.if every film on blu ray looked like the avengers or avatar I'd be selling a kidney to rebuy all my movies on blu ray again,but the majority of old film blu ray releases are just not worth £7-£12 ,also film grain god do I hate film grain!!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Funnily enough, the 3 movies you mention are all pretty good transfers to Blu-ray (I own them). Are they as dazzling as the new releases? No, but you'd expect that. However, I believe all 3 offer significant upgrades in picture and sound over and above the DVD - I guess it's up to the individual as to whether they're worth rebuying if you have them on DVD.

Amazon's current 3 for £17 offer has some worthy titles in there (amongst the dross).

T

theflyingwasp

:) sorry the lhc

It's not as easy as that blu-ray.com makes them out to be a tad better than they actually are.you double dip on a favourite film and it's either grain to the max or just a poor transfer.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
Amazon's current 3 for £17 offer has some worthy titles in there (amongst the dross).

HMV (at least in Edinburgh) have quite a range of Blu-Ray discs (including some fairly recent ones like Battleship and War Horse) being offered under a "three Blu-Rays for £20" scheme. Two problems with the HMV offer for me are:1, I seem to already own most of the ones on the list that I would want and 2, It doesn't seem possible to access the list online, you have to go to an HMV shop to see what is available. And yes, professorhat, some titles on the HMV scheme I would rate as dross.

T

theflyingwasp

Watching point break just now looks it's hardly a big improvement over the DVD as for ghostbusters isn't it one of the worst films for grain ever until they gave it that 4k remaster?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Watch the Highlander SE, you'll be really pissed off.

One of my fave films is SLEEPY HOLLOW, but it's supposed to be an awful BD. So I don't dare.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Watch the Highlander SE, you'll be really pissed off. One of my fave films is SLEEPY HOLLOW, but it's supposed to be an awful BD. So I don't dare.

Concur with that, Highlander is not at all good, by far the worst I own. Yes I admit to liking the film, should have stuck with the dvd.

I intend to continue to buy largely ownly new titles hereon in, unless I read a decent review.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Watching point break just now looks it's hardly a big improvement over the DVD as for ghostbusters isn't it one of the worst films for grain ever until they gave it that 4k remaster?

As I remember, the sound was the biggest improvement on Point Break for me. And though I don't share your hatred of grain, I don't remember Ghostbusters being that bad for it when I last watched it (though it was a while back now)

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
There's no point in having all this excellent equipment if I'm going to watch DVDs but a lot of the older catalogue blu ray titles look no better than the DVD ,I understand films like point break,the goonies,ghostbusters the list goes on and on are old films now and they are never going to spend as much money on police academy 3 as they would remastering Ben hur ,but with the intelligent frame creation cranked up and the upscaling from the oppo 103 I'd be better just sticking with my DVDs.if every film on blu ray looked like the avengers or avatar I'd be selling a kidney to rebuy all my movies on blu ray again,but the majority of old film blu ray releases are just not worth £7-£12 ,also film grain god do I hate film grain!!!

I am not a fan of grain either! Most of my Blu-rays look fab though, which is why I bought them. :)

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
theflyingwasp said:
I am not a fan of grain either! Most of my Blu-rays look fab though, which is why I bought them. :)

I'd rather have a bit of grain, than the dreadful pile of grainless brainless crap that is 'avatar'...

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
It's not as easy as that blu-ray.com makes them out to be a tad better than they actually are.you double dip on a favourite film and it's either grain to the max or just a poor transfer.

Maybe try this site for reviews.

Worth comparing a film you know to their take on it.

T

theflyingwasp

I enjoyed avatar a lot of films like avatar and transformers 1,2 and 3 require the brain to be turned off.but they look amazing on blu ray.i know some people like grain but I hate it .warrior and 300 are horrific for grain.

Watched after earth on the ZT last night ,would like to have seen the ZT and a 4k tv playing that movie side by side.

T

theflyingwasp

With everybody except Quentin Tarantino moving over to digital the grain days are numbered!

T

theflyingwasp

That's a good point professorhat made .loads of discs are being pumped out as first time on blu ray with almost no picture improvement but the SOUND is vastly improved.

T

theflyingwasp

I dunno .tarantino has said he will continue to use 35mm film as long as possible ,he hates digital filmmaking .

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi theflying wasp,i thought that ghost busters looked pretty good on blu ray,mind you i do have a pioneer that might explain alot (a big lol)the ones i thought were quiet bad are the fifth element/ dantes peak they both look better on dvd.david

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
davidvann said:
hi theflying wasp,i thought that ghost busters looked pretty good on blu ray,mind you i do have a pioneer that might explain alot (a big lol)the ones i thought were quiet bad are the fifth element/ dantes peak they both look better on dvd.david

There's a re-master of the Fifth Element which is much better than the DVD.

T

theflyingwasp

Don't get me started on those 2 ,JJ "LENS FLARE" Abrams and Christopher " I won't do 3d or commentarys " Nolan :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts