Quality mains conditioner vs. supermarket mains

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I own the Supra mains conditioner reviewed by WH. One of the negative remarks goes towards its lean sound, but compared to a mains block from the local supermarket, will it still be considered lean? I mean, the super market conditioner does not clean the current like the supra does, so does it nescessarely have to sound worse than the quality one? It does not influence the current by any cleaning curcuits ex.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
A few chinese brands have some good no compromise conditioners, Xindak is great, on a lower budget the Bada LB5600 is good to. They were recommended through other forums to me and from my experience they don't seem to compromise on dynamics in comparison to other conditioners.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
RCduck7:A few chinese brands have some good no compromise conditioners, Xindak is great, on a lower budget the Bada LB5600 is good to. They were recommended through other forums to me and from my experience they don't seem to compromise on dynamics in comparison to other conditioners.

Ive a chinese filter too(Yaqin ml-1100) and am very impressed with the general build quality and sound. I dont feel it takes anything away from the music like dynamics etc. But it definitly makes for a better overall sound to the system for a bargain £75

I did look at the above mentioned ones too but just picked out my one from a few id shortlisted

A

Anonymous

Your amps must be terrible if need extra equipment to reject power line spikes. Mine goes straight into the wall.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ryman888:

Your amps must be terrible if need extra equipment to reject power line spikes. Mine goes straight into the wall.

The extra equipment being a mains filter, is for filtering out noise in the supply but also doubles as spike protection.

You will find, if you try a decent filter, that your system will sound a whole lot better than it does now.

A

Anonymous

MattSPL:ryman888:

The extra equipment being a mains filter, is for filtering out noise in the supply but also doubles as spike protection.

You will find, if you try a decent filter, that your system will sound a whole lot better than it does now.

But, presumably, only if you suffer from continuous spikes? All mains powered equipment will already have supply filtering!

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
"Your amps must be terrible if need extra equipment to reject power line spikes. Mine goes straight into the wall."

A comment that cleary states how clueless you are.

No, my amp is not terrible, my power plant is. I'm living in an old house with old wires, so I get alot of power spikes resulting in high clicks in my speakers. this has dissapeared with my Supra mains block.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can we try to keep this to reasoned discussion, and not personal insults? Othwerwise the thread will be closed.

By the way, to address the original topic re 'supermarket mains', we switched to Sainsbury's Energy a few years back and it had no effect on the sound of the system.
emotion-5.gif

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Can we try to keep this to reasoned discussion, and not personal insults? Othwerwise the thread will be closed.

By the way, to address the original topic re 'supermarket mains', we switched to Sainsbury's Energy a few years back and it had no effect on the sound of the system.
emotion-5.gif

emotion-2.gif
I run duel fuel,just to be on the safe side.
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
RodhasGibson:I run duel fuel,just to be on the safe side.
emotion-5.gif

I considered duel fuel, but all that having to get up at dawn and mess about with pistols got tiresome, so I went for dual fuel instead.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

emotion-5.gif

I considered duel fuel, but all that having to get up at dawn and mess about with pistols got tiresome, so I went for dual fuel instead.

So shall I in future Andrew
emotion-10.gif

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
emotion-5.gif

Ha ha, great. LOL :)

A

Anonymous

he wasn't innocent he was making wild claims. EDITED BY MODS - please do not attack other members.

Is no one going to mention that power conditioners are just another audio smoke and mirrors trick to bleed more cash out of people who don't know any better? It is a debate right?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It is indeed a debate, but having been led by this exchange to review your past posting history, I'm afraid it's not one in which you will be taking any further part.

Banned for repeated House Rules infringements, repeatedly attacking other members and profanity.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Back on topic, if my Supra makes the sound lean, would I be better of plugging my amplifier directly to the wall socket? Perhaps with a quality power cable. I do get the feeling that the Supra influences the current rather much. When a peak occurs in the current, I can see and hear that the power to the attached components falls. Wouldn't this also have an influence with the peaks than are none audible? Is that what makes the sound lean according to WH's review? Simply that the current is controlled to much for its own good.

A

Anonymous

Peter Larsen:
No, my amp is not terrible, my power plant is. I'm living in an old house with old wires, so I get alot of power spikes resulting in high clicks in my speakers. this has dissapeared with my Supra mains block.

As your main problem is spikes, maybe you would be better off with a mains 'transient noise processor' that uses a Varistor system.
emotion-55.gif

The Varistors are connected across the mains and reduce/remove any spikes, they have no influence on your normal supply. So do not degrade your audio.

If you know a qualified electrician these can even be fitted into your plugs (non-moulded) or sockets. The devices themselves are less than £5 each.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Stumpy21:MattSPL:ryman888:

But, presumably, only if you suffer from continuous spikes? All mains powered equipment will already have supply filtering!

Im talking about noise in the mains like RFI, not spikes. Yes equipment does have filtering but not enough.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Peter Larsen:Back on topic, if my Supra makes the sound lean, would I be better of plugging my amplifier directly to the wall socket? Perhaps with a quality power cable. I do get the feeling that the Supra influences the current rather much. When a peak occurs in the current, I can see and hear that the power to the attached components falls. Wouldn't this also have an influence with the peaks than are none audible? Is that what makes the sound lean according to WH's review? Simply that the current is controlled to much for its own good.

If the filter makes the sound lean or dynamically compressed, then you would be better without it but thats upto your ears to decide.

An upgraded mains cable and fuse will provide improvement without compression etc

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I will give it a try without the mains block. Maybe use the mains block for my cd-player. It shouldn't be so sensitive to a fall in the current as the amp seems to be.

A

Anonymous

I live in an old house and before I rewired the entire place i had some electrical issues (tv's, washingmachine deaths etc) but after i re did the entire electrical system (expensive as heck lol) i have had no issues.

I have now tried various mains conditioners, mains cables etc on my hifi system and there is no difference in the sound or soundquality comming from the system. I dont have the most expesive system around though (see below) but i dont belive that any such gizmo will make a difference UNLESS you have an old or bad electrical system in your house or several powerhungry or bad electrical things on the same fuse box course or whatever its called in english :) as your hifi.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, mine is actually so bad that my Denon dvd-player was killed by a peak current once, and our bulbs die one after another way before their lifeexpectancy (is that a word?).

A

Anonymous

In your case Peter it would be a good investment but your money would be better spent by upgrading your entire electric system or atleast get a professional to look at it and fix the problem. Doesnt have to be very expensive because even a small cheap problem can be the cause of your problems.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:Well, mine is actually so bad that my Denon dvd-player was killed by a peak current once, and our bulbs die one after another way before their lifeexpectancy (is that a word?).

I would look into the affected circuit if I were you. It's possible that the ground is open somewhere. On the bright side, your system will sound better than ever after sorting out the problem.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:
Peter Larsen:Well, mine is actually so bad that my Denon dvd-player was killed by a peak current once, and our bulbs die one after another way before their lifeexpectancy (is that a word?).

I would look into the affected circuit if I were you. It's possible that the ground is open somewhere. On the bright side, your system will sound better than ever after sorting out the problem.

Ground, he he. I live in Denmark where more often than not, our electrical equipment is not grounded. I know, its awful. Everytime my arm rests on my Mac Book pro and I accidentally touch the radiator next to me I get a small electrical shock :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts