Mains conditioner and products demonstration feedback

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Sound Fowndations / Isotek Demonstration @ Bristol Show 2010 & 2011

At the risk of being lambasted and ridiculed, I wanted to share my experience of demonstrations at the Sound Fowndations room at the Bristol Hi-Fi shows in 2010 and 2011.

I've been intrigued for a couple of years by the concept of mains conditioning, remained being open-minded but leaning more towards the sceptical end of the judgement spectrum. One of my biggest reservations with mains conditioning is that by processing the electricity supply to the components it would be detrimental to the sound of the music, somehow impeding or smooth over the dynamics, or somehow affect the natural sound (or as natural as music can be from a digital source).

So, at the 2010 show I ventured into the Sound Fowndations room to listen to a demonstration of Isotek's Aquarius mains conditioner unit.

They did a comparison with a standard plug bar extension socket, followed by their Isotek Sirius power strip and then the Aquarius unit. With each equipment switch the sound (to my ears) progressively changed thus:

1. The resonance of the vocals displayed an open, expansive quality, with any thin or bristle quality to the voice developing a rich, warmer tone so it soared more.

2. The bass was delivered with enhanced presence and weight.

3. The music was generally more open and detailed across the range of music, i.e. I was able to hear each instrument with greater clarity and hear layers of sound not evident when the standard plug bar extension socket.

However, I was only at the show for one day, with tooo much to see/listen to and was not able to invest time to listen to the Isotek demonstration more than once, so the sceptic in me continued to hold sway.
up to two hours in the Sound Fowndations room, partaking in a wider demonstration, but twice over to suitably convince myself for or against the mains cable equipment being demonstrated.

This time they did the same demonstration, but added an extra permutation of the comparison of standard plug bar extension socket, followed by their Isotek Sirius power strip and then the Aquarius, by adding a standard power cable and Isotek's new Syncro advanced mains cable.

To my surprise, again I heard the same progressive "improvement" to the music, which was further improved by the introduction of the Syncro mains cable at each stage.

So, to all those who deride the idea that different mains cables and conditioner/filtration units cannot improve the sound of music, I lay down the gauntlet to at least be open-minded enough to devote time to participating in such a demonstration.

Cheers,
SonicD

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I beleive !

Just at its most basic, when we put the plasma screen on the wall it was a good few yards from the power socket so I used an ordinary extension lead.

Just replacing that with an entry level 5m mains cable (I'm talking about 15 quid here) made a noticable difference.

I think one of the biggest problem is the 5 pence fuse leccy has to pass thru. We're the only country in the world to have fused plugs. I've experimented with bypassing 'em and that too makes a huge difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts