Quad L 11 Classic vs. Dali Lektor 2 for classical

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I cannot decide between Quad L 11 Classic and Dali Lektor 2. (There is not dealer in my area to listen the speakers, so I should buy online). My budget is limited, so I cannot afford Dynaudio 2/6 or B&W 6xx series

The most important is emotional, uncolored sound with large soundstage, but without edginess or sibilance at medium volumes. Only for classical music and jazz. I have Arcam Alpha 7R -Arcam CD 72 system (still very good for me)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Personally I find my lektor 2's very good for classical music as well as any other genre that takes my fancy. They need plenty of running in but I don't tire of listening to them and find them quite exciting and musical.

I expect most people will say go for the Quads - which are more of a monitor style speaker. I've heard the Quad 12 and it seemed good in the shop.

matthewpiano

The Quads are excellent but can sound slightly veiled with the wrong amplification, and I'm not sure they are the best match with Arcam.

I'd go with the Lektor 2s if they are still available where you are (they don't seem to be over here). Very good speakers all round.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Quads look like money. In the flesh the finish and build are spot on. Lovely looking speakers.

They'll also stand upgrades sound quality improving with amplification.

The Dalis to me look budget.

Your amp is rated at 40wpc - for your requirements ie easy listening at moderate levels the Quads for a more 'mature' uncoloured sound.

The Dali boxes colour the sound to my ears, 'fun' speakers. Especially when it comes to bass.

But have a listen if you can. Don't be surprised if the Quads sound bass light in an audition.

Properly set up they're accurate.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Quads are excellent but can sound slightly veiled with the wrong amplification, and I'm not sure they are the best match with Arcam.

I'd go with the Lektor 2s if they are still available where you are (they don't seem to be over here). Very good speakers all round.

Thank you, so the Quads can be dull sounding with my Arcam. No problem. The truth is that I have an Acoustiv Energy Aegis Neo 1 speaker, that is very good, but too lively sounding (not bright, but too strong at upper midrange) at moderate listening levels, so I need another , more warm sounding speaker, which is easy for ears.

Do you think the Lektor 2 has the same bass power and impact like your Dynaudio 2/6 (very good, but too expensive for me) ? Because I like if the speaker has a good bass impact/response. Do you think that the Quad has a touch more bass impact compared with Lektor 2?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Hi,

Personally I find my lektor 2's very good for classical music as well as any other genre that takes my fancy. They need plenty of running in but I don't tire of listening to them and find them quite exciting and musical.

I expect most people will say go for the Quads - which are more of a monitor style speaker. I've heard the Quad 12 and it seemed good in the shop.
Thank you for response, the Zensor 1 and the Lektor 2 has a similar sound?

matthewpiano

The Quads are excellent, and ultimately more transparent than the Dalis, but they do like a bit of power behind them. At low volumes they sound veiled and slightly detached, only coming on song when you turn the volume up a bit. The Dalis sound nice a low to mid volumes.

As for the Lektor 2 Vs Zensor 1, they are different. The Zensors are slightly clearer sounding overall, but this is slightly at the expense of bass weight.

Off all of them, I agree the Lektors aren't the most up-market looking boxes, but they sound great so who cares?

Any reason why you aren't considering Q Acoustics 3020?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree, I would seriously be considering auditioning some Wharfedale 220, Q Acoustics 3020 speakers.

One of the big positives for me with the Lektors is the flexible positioning.

Partnered with my Pioneer A30, the Lektor 2's just seem right - not too forward sounding but still plenty of excitment. I couldn't say how they would be with the Arcam.

I agree the Quad classics do have a better looking finish.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Quads are excellent, and ultimately more transparent than the Dalis, but they do like a bit of power behind them. At low volumes they sound veiled and slightly detached, only coming on song when you turn the volume up a bit. The Dalis sound nice a low to mid volumes.

As for the Lektor 2 Vs Zensor 1, they are different. The Zensors are slightly clearer sounding overall, but this is slightly at the expense of bass weight.

Off all of them, I agree the Lektors aren't the most up-market looking boxes, but they sound great so who cares?

Any reason why you aren't considering Q Acoustics 3020?

Thank you, it was a Great Help. So both speakers are very good at moderate volumes, so I should buy the speaker which go deeper in bass department

I am afraid that Q Acoustics 3020 has less bass power than Quad 11 or Lektor 2 because is smaller.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
I agree, I would seriously be considering auditioning some Wharfedale 220, Q Acoustics 3020 speakers.

One of the big positives for me with the Lektors is the flexible positioning.

Partnered with my Pioneer A30, the Lektor 2's just seem right - not too forward sounding but still plenty of excitment. I couldn't say how they would be with the Arcam.

I agree the Quad classics do have a better looking finish.

Thank you for describing your Dali Lektor-experience

In my country the Quad 11 or the Lektor 2 has aprox. double price compared with Wharfedale Diamond 220 or Q Acoustics 3020, so I think both should be better speakers.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Not being funny but the Diamonds and Q 3020 won't deliver like the Quads.

And they certainly do not look has good.

Never heard the Arcam 7r but if it has a similar signature to the Arcam A65 it'll suit the Quads.

Which will respond well to a clean sounding amp.

Seriously, the Quads were 'under priced' - the amount of speaker you get for the money will please you.

But I have to say I personally find the Q's boring (I've heard the standmounts and floorstanders) to my ears the top end is seriously rounded off. The bass ill defined imo.

The budget Dali's imo sound cheap (fun) - if you want hi-fidelity I would recommend the Quads no question.

Back in the day I almost bought a pair of the Quad 22 opted for Mission 782se instead. The Missions being more compact.

FennerMachine went the other way.

Read up on these speakers.... Next best thing to auditioning.

For what you describe has your preffered sound in your opening post - you want the Quads.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for your help, I have bought the Quad 11l Classic speakers (used, not new)

They sound to me absolutly natural, it seems to me they are highly improved version of Wharfedale Diamond. (similar character)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Good call.....

If you don't mind, please expand on how they sound in your opinion. When you say natural.....

What colour did you get?

Note: these speakers improve with better amplification

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Good call.....

If you don't mind, please expand on how they sound in your opinion. When you say natural.....

What colour did you get?

Note: these speakers improve with better amplification

This is a speaker which never offend your ears with sibilance and harshness , but is very detalied, with good bass response

For many can be a little boring compared with Monitor Audio BR or BX or Silver series and B&W 6xx series, but this speakers is without any artificial plus added at bass or treble department, just sounding natural.

Compared with my old Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 is more refined at treble and at upper frequencies

Deep red colour

Yes, fast and open sounding amplification (like Rotel or Cambridge Audio) would be good

Tibor said:
Hello

I cannot decide between Quad L 11 Classic and Dali Lektor 2. (There is not dealer in my area to listen the speakers, so I should buy online). My budget is limited, so I cannot afford Dynaudio 2/6 or B&W 6xx series

The most important is emotional, uncolored sound with large soundstage, but without edginess or sibilance at medium volumes. Only for classical music and jazz. I have Arcam Alpha 7R -Arcam CD 72 system (still very good for me)

Personally, I would be looking at a replacement amp. The Arcam Alpha 7R is fabulous for the money, but it is only 40 watts (I still have mine in the loft as a spare).

I would be looking at a Quad power amp and using the Arcam as a pre. This Quad will complement the speakers perfectly, and only a few quid over your proposed budget.

Quantum88

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
That Quad 606 amp should be fine, or just about any other Quad amp made before 2012, however i would be very hesitant to purchase any current model Quad amp, as they are not the same company they used to be (at least with the amps). I recently purchased 3 Quad QSP amps new and they were all faulty straight out of the box! Anything made before 2012 should be fine. I would recommend to keep your eyes open for a second hand 909, if you can find one it should work very nicely with your speakers :)

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I will replace my Arcam (absolutly musical, but not very dinamic) in future because I need digital connections and more dinamic sound

The Quad amps are very expensive for me, I will buy Cambridge audio Azur 351A (it has usb input for pc with internal dac), I think will match with my Quad 11 L Classic speakers

Tibor said:
I will replace my Arcam (absolutly musical, but not very dinamic) in future because I need digital connections and more dinamic sound

The Quad amps are very expensive for me, I will buy Cambridge audio Azur 351A (it has usb input for pc with internal dac), I think will match with my Quad 11 L Classic speakers

Buying a Cambridge 351 to power the Quad speakers will be a mistake. Those Quads really need quality amplification, hence why I recommended the Quad 606. Potentially you'll end up damaging the speakers and - possibly - the amp.

If you really want the 351 sell the Quad speakers and look at entry-level Q Acoustics, Wharfedales....

Or keep the Alpha 7 and add a Arcam power amp.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it is true that the Cambridge Audio 351 is not the most refined amp. I would looking for some medium priced Onkyo, or Yamaha amp with build in dac (connecting to my pc)

Sorry, I did not need power amp for a little room

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Tibor said:
Yes, it is true that the Cambridge Audio 351 is not the most refined amp. I would looking for some medium priced Onkyo, or Yamaha amp with build in dac (connecting to my pc)

So what is your max budget?

max. 300 pound

Tibor said:
plastic penguin said:
Tibor said:

So what is your max budget?

max. 300 pound
f no other suggestion is suitable, you need to sell the Quads and looking at somehing more suitable for a entry-level amp.

Focal 806V are a better option for the Arcam, as will Tannoy or MA Bronze or silver ranges..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts