• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Tannoy Mercury V1 vs. Dali Zensor 1 and Wharfedale Diamond 121 for classical music

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
I am replacing my Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 speakers, because the sound is too upfront for my tastes. I have Arcam Alpha 7 amp and Arcam CD 72 cd player, I listen only classical music. I would prefer gentle, warm sounding speakers without any harshness or artificial sounding bass.

For my taste (or for my system) Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver series, B&W 600 series, Kef IQseries are harsh sounding speakers

I wonder if the Dali Zensor 1 or the Wharfedale Diamond 121 worth extra money over the Tannoy Mercury V 1 . Bigger speakers or floorst. are not suitable for my small room.

Thank you for response

matthewpiano

Nov 23, 2007
Hi TIbor. Have you tried the Q Acoustics 2020i? They are quite warm sounding and certainly never harsh.

The other speakers I'd recommend to you would be the Dali Lektor 2. How about looking for a second hand pair of these? They are nicer sounding than the Zensor 1s and should work very well with your Arcams.

bwv572

Aug 20, 2006
I'll put in a vote for the Wharfedales. They have a nice, projected sound, without ever veering into brightness and have enough extension on the bass to work really well for classical music. I like, particularly, the ease with they position instruments. Baroque orchestral and choral music is lovely to listen to and they give space to the recorded acoustic.

One caveat: build quality is variable from pair to pair and, if you buy them, check them over before you part with your cash.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
The Q -Acoustics could be good also, I forget it!!

The Dali Lektor 2 would be ideal, but not easy to get a second hand pair of Lektor 2 in my country. The Dali is my favourite company.

Thank you mathewpiano!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
My Boston Acoustics A26 speakers never sound harsh and sound good with classical as well as other genres. Can you go and listen to some different makes in a store and see which you prefer?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
bwv572 said:
I'll put in a vote for the Wharfedales. They have a nice, projected sound, without ever veering into brightness and have enough extension on the bass to work really well for classical music. I like, particularly, the ease with they position instruments. Baroque orchestral and choral music is lovely to listen to and they give space to the recorded acoustic.

One caveat: build quality is variable from pair to pair and, if you buy them, check them over before you part with your cash.
Thank you, I had in past Diamond 8.1 and 9.2, both warm sounding, I think the 121 should be far superior and without artificial bass of 9.2

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Blackdawn said:
My Boston Acoustics A26 speakers never sound harsh and sound good with classical as well as other genres. Can you go and listen to some different makes in a store and see which you prefer?

Sorry, not realy.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts