Dali Zensor 3 compared with Dali Lektor 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I did not. I did not like the bass and treble control, not for hifi funs.

I want to say, there is not bass boom, rather a little bass overhung (inprecise bass).

So I will try to buy a second hand Dali Zensor 3

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tibor, you did not try to adjust your sound with the tone controls?

Instead you will spend £200plus on worse speakers than you already own?

Well, good luck....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Tibor, you did not try to adjust your sound with the tone controls?

Instead you will spend £200plus on worse speakers than you already own?

Well, good luck....
give the man a break he did try what we said but still has issues he can not afford to change the amp only the speakers i said try the dali 3s and get some secondhand so if they did not work out he would not lose so much money as he can always sell his quads , dali 3s , arcam amp if this still did not work out for him and try with a new amp + speaker setup next time round if this setup has the same troubles which i think will but you never know ( dali 1s do not have much bass to them but this might be to little )

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for your help

If I reduce the bass level the bass anomaly diappear, but I will have a speaker with weak bass power

I had many speakers (for. ex. Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1) in past with this amp and in the same position on stands, but I never experienced this problem with bass, so I think the Quads have this kind of bass weakness trying to impress with hard bass, resulting hard bass+some bass smearing.

I think I will change the speakers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i am wondering if you try putting some socks in the rear bass ports to see if this will sort out the bass a bit i know its silly but its free to try . how long have you had the quads for ? what have you changed in your hifi before you had this issue . you see the worst thing that could happen is you buy the dali 3s and you still have the same issues as before that's why we say demo first but i understand this is an issue with you to do this hifi a funny thing sometimes you get it right and other times your got it so wrong its happend to me loads of times i can only tell about speakers that i have owned myself which is dali 1s , dali 3s , dali opticon 6s you could try the dali 1s which i know you will be safe on the bass side as they are not to bassy and then add a small sub to control how much bass your getting let us know how its going when you have chosen some new speakers .

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Tibor said:
My speakers are situated at 50 cm distance of rear wall, I use source direct function at my Arcam amp, so no tone control used, I have no idea what's can be the problem with bass.

The Quads have very strong bass and small cabinet, so I think have some artificial bass boost at wofer, trying to impress the listener, but have also ocasionally some bass smearing. I suppose not easy to make a speaker with strong bass in a small box. The Quads sound veiled at low volumes, I suppose the Dalis are different

Thank you for sharing your experience

Well the Dali's lektor 2's sound quite good at low volumes, they impress much more with more volume on a bit. I would suggest they are probably not the speakers you are looking for. How about acoustic energy 301 or Q Acoustic concept 20?

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Blocking the bass-reflex ports with something is working, but you get a weaker bass.

I have to understand, that for this price a speaker cannot be perfect, each has some weakness. The Quad is perfect in many areas, with very powerfull bass, but with also some bass overhung, audible ocassionaly. Probably the Lektor 2, Q Acoustics Concept 20 and..... have less powerfull , but precise bass.

The Acoustic Energy 301 can bee a good idea, they are open sounding, dinamic speakers with good bass power.

I never read in reviews about inprecise or boomy bass at Dali Zensor 3, so I will see!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Tibor said:
Blocking the bass-reflex ports with something is working, but you get a weaker bass.

I have to understand, that for this price a speaker cannot be perfect, each has some weakness. The Quad is perfect in many areas, with very powerfull bass, but with also some bass overhung, audible ocassionaly. Probably the Lektor 2, Q Acoustics Concept 20 and..... have less powerfull , but precise bass.

The Acoustic Energy 301 can bee a good idea, they are open sounding, dinamic speakers with good bass power.

I never read in reviews about inprecise or boomy bass at Dali Zensor 3, so I will see!
ok so the sock idea is kind of work but not great . Try something different now move your speakers from wall say 2 or 3 ft not so your sitting on top of them I just need to know if your still getting a bass issue with them away from the wall and see what it sounds like and move the 2 speakers apart say 2 meters apart then let me know if your getting the bass over hang . I am trying to save you money as you like your speakers but it's just a bass issue which can be sorted out by moving your speakers then turn the bass knob back 2 on the markers on the amp and let us know if the bass over hang as gone

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Tibor said:
  Thank you for your help

If I reduce the bass level the bass anomaly diappear, but I will have a speaker with weak bass power

I had many speakers (for. ex. Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1) in past with this amp and in the same position on stands, but I never experienced this problem with bass, so I think the Quads have this kind of bass weakness  trying to impress with hard bass, resulting hard bass+some bass smearing.

I think I will change the speakers.

Tibor the solution to your problem is in this post.

Small adjustments, actually tiny adjustments - you'll hit a sweet spot just take the time.

You'll find what bass 'power' you lose you'll gain texture and definition.

Give yourself time to adjust. Don't think in absolutes... :)

To give yourself an idea of how good your speakers are put them on eBay for close to what they cost new.

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Tibor said:

I have the Zensor 3s and I would say you are correct about the bass - it is tight and natural-sounding, not boomy at all, and this is with a NAD 326 amp. However, one accusation that is sometimes levelled at these speakers is that they lack top-end refinement, which I think does have some validity. I have a particular problem with sibilance on vocals with mine, which is annoying. Because of this, I don't think I'd recommend the speakers, though if you mainly listen to instrumental music it might not be too much of an issue. I'd certainly try to demo the Zensor 3s before buying, to make sure you're happy with their treble.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
You are right, moving the speakers 2 m away from rear wall (in the middle of the room?) or reducing the bass level can help my dilemma, so thank you for all your help

Is interesting your post about Dali Zensor 3 ' top end sibilance, this was not mentioned before on forums. I suppose the Marantz 6002 cd player has not a smooth top end.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Tibor said:
You are right, moving the speakers 2 m away from rear wall (in the middle of the room?) or reducing the bass level can help my dilemma, so thank you for all your help

Is interesting your post about Dali Zensor 3 ' top end sibilance, this was not mentioned before on forums. I suppose the Marantz 6002 cd player has not a smooth top end.
well you have got some great speakers there you normally find by changing the location of your speakers can sometimes sort issue out but they still got to look right in your room so you can live with them where they our normally . you get bass over hang if your speakers are too close to the wall and side walls because speakers do not like being in corners or to close to a back wall then there are speakers out there that OK with being close to the back wall .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts