QUAD COMPONENTS

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I'm interested in buying a new HiFi setup. I was thinking of the QUAD 99 Series CDP-2 CD Player, 99 Pre Amp, and the 909 Amplifier, as for the tuner I was thinking the Pioneer F-F6J as the Quad tuner does not have AM. I already have a pair of Mordaunt Short 908R floorstanders, which I was thinking of using with this setup (I could be wrong here).

I like a wide variety of music, ranging from Rock to Classical. Can someone advise me on the above setup, that it will keep my feet tapping, the bass thundering, the detail flowing. Also which speaker cables to use etc.

Or are there alternative systems I could look at?

A

Anonymous

HI, the Quad 99 series were wonderful sonically (very neutral) and (still are) extremely good value. However the electronics are pretty old at this stage, particularly for CD players most manufacturers have significantly advanced their CD reading technology in the past decade. Perhaps the longevity of this range is a sign of its success but I wonder why they don't try to update it. In their day the 909 and CDP were by far the best for the money. Now it might be worth comparing with the Primare I30 integrated or the even new ArcamA38. You might be surprised, although it might look like a movement down in oomph factor.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
n4d5: I'm interested in buying a new HiFi setup. I was thinking of the QUAD 99 Series CDP-2 CD Player, 99 Pre Amp, and the 909 Amplifier, as for the tuner I was thinking the Pioneer F-F6J as the Quad tuner does not have AM. I already have a pair of Mordaunt Short 908R floorstanders, which I was thinking of using with this setup (I could be wrong here).

I like a wide variety of music, ranging from Rock to Classical. Can someone advise me on the above setup, that it will keep my feet tapping, the bass thundering, the detail flowing. Also which speaker cables to use etc.

Or are there alternative systems I could look at?The Quad electronics are great value for money. They're a little like Rega - maybe not the most accurate sounding electronics, but they're so musical they usually leave most competition standing. Many manufacturers tend to concentrate on the frequency extremes, whereas Quad realise that the midrange is more important. There system along with Regas tend to be a little more removed from CD's harsh presentation as you're likely to get at sensible money.

The 909 is a powerhouse thanks to their 'current dumping system' - we've driven KEF Reference 201's and 203's quite happily without any signs of strain, comparing to many more expensive power amplifiers from other manufacturers.

One thing to point out - the CDP2 also includes a digital pre-amp, with digital inputs for other sources with digital outputs. If this is not needed, you will only need the CDP to go with the 99 Pre and 909 Power. If you only have digital sources to route through, then stick with the CDP2 and just the 909 power amp.

Some may say they lack in technology compared to other manufacturers, but Quad only tend to upgrade their stuff when a decent step up comes along - well designed equipment is hard to improve upon, even many years later.

Best thing to do is get yourself along to a dealer and have a listen to them compared to something else and see what you think.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I use the 99/909 pre/power combo in my home system. As mentioned above, they are midrange maestros, with little that musical at that price.

They can be beaten for get-up-and-go, however, so partner with care.

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, I think I'll find a dealer where I can audition Quad, Cyrus, and Roskan components and choose the one that I like the sound off etc.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

hi mate.. i have been listening to quad gear that was produced in their early days due to a late uncle being a real fan of their equipment up to their latest current models, myself having used quad for the best part of 40 yrs,, as has been said before if it aint broke dont fix it,,even their early gear will knock the socks off a lot of "esoteric" stuff thats here today gone tomorrow, quad build to last a lifetime , Take a note from the bbc ,,THEY DONT USE RUBBISH..for years their main stay studio set ups was based around modified quad 405 bi amplification and the rogers LS5/8 ,, I have this set up myself , and if youve got the room for it you can get it all second hand at a fair price..
kindest regards

A

Anonymous

A used Quad 405 (£120?) and the Netaudio complete conversion (£390) makes an extremely interesting proposition for the money. The 405 is pretty damn good as standard but with some changes the design can apparently deliver an incredibly clear and detailed sound. The only problem is that you can't try it first...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts