Quad 909/99cdp OR Cyrus 8cdse/8vs2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Which do I choose for all kinds of music but not classical? Speakers??? I like the Pmc GB1i's with the Cyrus,but what with the Quads Spender A5's,GB1i's or anything else at the same price/size. Please help I want to buy soon and put my old surround amp/denon dcd1100 out to pasture.

A

Anonymous

The Quad will give you a lovely, controlled, clean and neutral sound.

The Cyrus will give you a little more boom and tizz with top and bottom emphasis.

The Quad is a pre/power that, in my opinion, wipes the 8vs2 off the kitchen floor.

The Cyrus will possibly be more impressive with a rock and pop track in the first 20 minutes. To be fair, some will prefer this excitement permanently.

The Quad has sublime midrange with it's class A, current dumping design.

The Cyrus can be upgraded with at least four other boxes.

The Quad doesn't need upgrading because it's complete.

The Spendor SA1, A5 or A6 will match beautifully with the Quad.

The Spendor SA1, A5 or A6 will match beautifully with the Cyrus.

Apologies for my very biased view but please give them a spin...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks iggelbert,
I'v heard the cyrus with Spendor s5e's and Gb1i's,and much preferred the Pmc's so are the A5's a big step up?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't bother with any of that mush. Not too sure about CD players but otherwise I'd go Nait XS and Neat Motive 1.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:I wouldn't bother with any of that mush. Not too sure about CD players but otherwise I'd go Nait XS and Neat Motive 1.
Always provacative Octopo. The Motive's tweeter needs replacing with something decent.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:provacative

Just my suggestion, your response seemed much the same

A

Anonymous

Hi Octopo I can't afford Nait XS. I'v home demo'd 5i cd/amp with neat floorstander but my wife and I were not keen

A

Anonymous

Nick21:Hi Octopo I can't afford Nait XS. I'v home demo'd 5i cd/amp with neat floorstander but my wife and I were not keen

Don't worry, if you don't like the 5i you probably won't be keen on the XS. What other electronics have you tried?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
igglebert:provacative
Just my suggestion, your response seemed much the same
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

only heard the Cyrus so far, I know its more flexible re upgrade. But I think I will like the Quads sound.

A

Anonymous

Have you heard the K2? A sort of compromise between everything mentioned so far.

A

Anonymous

Not yet But sevenoaks in Bedford have them and the GB1i's as well as M/A speakers and they will be on demo next week with the pmc's.Chris there said cyrus are better with the GB1i's he thought,and you can add boxes later,to improve futher still(psxr's).I did hear the Quads on holiday in Kendal with 22 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Have you heard the K2? A sort of compromise between everything mentioned so far.
I think you need to compare the Quad to something in the £1,500 price bracket, perhaps the Primare I30, Musical Fidelity A5.5, etc. The K2 is probably very good but a different league.

Right, I'll shut up now. Good luck with it
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The Quads the top of my budget I'v got £3500 for everything cables the lot TOPS!! ebay?

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I think you need to compare the Quad to something in the £1,500 price bracket, perhaps the Primare I30, Musical Fidelity A5.5, etc. The K2 is probably very good but a different league.Right, I'll shut up now. Good luck with it
emotion-2.gif

Iggle, enough with the provocative comments, please.

A

Anonymous

I compared both cyrus and quad set ups, to my ears the quad was a far easier listen, cyrus being harsh after 30 mins or so. quad is more open and natural, cyrus seems to 'play' with the music more, change it in some way from the original. I ended up with the 99cdp2 and 99 powers, 909 too big for my rack....wife not understanding enough to buy new rack......******. still, it is an excellent system and bargains are out there on the quad kit, go for the silver finish and you'll find the cdp2 at £599..........(superfi) and i've seen the 909 in the same place at £699 in silver. black isn't worth £300 in my opinion. good luck with your search.

btw you do mean the cdp2 and not the cdp? big difference here so watch what you're buying, the unit will have the model number on the back.

A

Anonymous

yes I did mean cdp2, I was thinking of Black but silver is fine and wife friendly at that price difference. thanks z4.

A

Anonymous

Just been on the superfi website and they are back ay normal prices

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Why are you ignoring the Welsh?

Leema Pulse amp and Leema Stream CD

(About £1200 each or £2400 in total at late 2008 prices.)

http://whathifi.com/News/Leema-changes-components-midStream/Or the Moon i-1 and it's Moon CD-1 partner (another circa £2400 combi)

That leaves £1100 (max) from your proposed budget for speakers and leads/stands.

Should be enough to squeeze in a pair of Spendor S3/5R (£750 ish) and decent stands etc.

Or a pair of Leema Xero's for £700 ish

Or a pair of Rega RS3 floorstanders for £684 (no expensive stands required).

A

Anonymous

I have not heard the Leema or the Moon! Wales is fine my mum moved there Aberaron!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts