QED Signature HDMI or Chord Company Active HDMI?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
So what are peeps views on EMI ( electo magnetic interference ), bearing in mind that any cable which passes electricity whatever voltage through it on HDMI cables? surely this has to do with the quality of shielding involved even if the 0's & 1's get through.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
f1only:
So what are peeps views on EMI ( electo magnetic interference ), bearing in mind that any cable which passes electricity whatever voltage through it on HDMI cables? surely this has to do with the quality of shielding involved even if the 0's & 1's get through.

Try telling some of these that f1only

idc

EMI, RFI, burn in, shielding, skin effect, all are examples of how cable makers suggest cables can make a difference. All fail in actually showing how such as an audible effect that can make cable 'better' than another. But the suggestion alone is good enough to get people believing they have heard a difference.

A

Anonymous

my airport express is sat in between loads of power cables behind my av stand (well, coffee table) and the digital data from my laptop streams flawlessly to it, and there's no shielding in the air....
emotion-40.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
idc: But the suggestion alone is good enough to get people believing they have heard a difference.
You once did idc, ha Until you turned to the darkside, but i know there is still good in you lol

jase fox:MUSICRAFT:
Hi jase fox

After market mains cables need burning in?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Every cable/interconnect/mains leads/powerblocks etc ALL need burn-in time to perform there best. I did mention all this on my previous post and to how i know cable burn-in makes a huge difference.

Hi jase fox

Thanks for your reply.

Well the Wilkinson Stores mains extension blocks and the standard mains leads plugged into them which i've been using over the last for years now haven't altered the performance of any components connected to them.

Keep it simple and your components/system will breathe
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

jase fox:idc: But the suggestion alone is good enough to get people believing they have heard a difference.
You once did idc, ha Until you turned to the darkside, but i know there is still good in you lolI think part of the problem is that people don't understand how digital works. The other part is denial.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
f1only:Are you related? lol
emotion-2.gif
haha no, well idc was once a believer in mains products he even told me a few things, but now it breaks my heart to see him go this way, i even remember the day he told me that moving a silencer to the 2nd run on a mains block was m,aybe improving things, if i were to say that to idc now he'd have me committed lol

Only joking idc

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Grottyash:jase fox:idc: But the suggestion alone is good enough to get people believing they have heard a difference.
You once did idc, ha Until you turned to the darkside, but i know there is still good in you lolI think part of the problem is that people don't understand how digital works. The other part is denial.

I think that people dont understand how electricity works either.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:my airport express is sat in between loads of power cables behind my av stand (well, coffee table) and the digital data from my laptop streams flawlessly to it, and there's no shielding in the air....
emotion-40.gif

so, no explanation to the above "phenomenon" jase
emotion-1.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:jase fox:MUSICRAFT:
Hi jase fox

After market mains cables need burning in?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Every cable/interconnect/mains leads/powerblocks etc ALL need burn-in time to perform there best. I did mention all this on my previous post and to how i know cable burn-in makes a huge difference.

Hi jase fox

Thanks for your reply.

Well the Wilkinson Stores mains extension blocks and the standard mains leads plugged into them which i've been using over the last for years now haven't altered the performance of any components connected to them.

Keep it simple and your components/system will breathe
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Well thats because there rubbish MUSICRAFT

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:maxflinn:my airport express is sat in between loads of power cables behind my av stand (well, coffee table) and the digital data from my laptop streams flawlessly to it, and there's no shielding in the air....
emotion-40.gif

emotion-1.gif

I think someone is watching over you in the spirit world Max, helping your signal flow much more easily , lol

A

Anonymous

f1only:
Grottyash:jase fox:idc: But the suggestion alone is good enough to get people believing they have heard a difference.

I think that people dont understand how electricity works either.

I think (or hope) we all understand that.

Nevertheless, as I've said umpteen times, it's pretty easy to test. Why people do not want to do so is beyond me. After all, the tests could theoretically go either way.

A

Anonymous

jase fox:maxflinn:maxflinn:my airport express is sat in between loads of power cables behind my av stand (well, coffee table) and the digital data from my laptop streams flawlessly to it, and there's no shielding in the air....
emotion-40.gif

emotion-1.gif

I think someone is watching over you in the spirit world Max, helping your signal flow much more easily , lol

my ghostly gaurdian is looking after my tv's digital signal (from the sattelite dish) pretty well too jase, because that's perfect even when there's thunder and lightening, i really do have special shielding
emotion-5.gif

idc

Jase, I am still a proponent of mains conditioning, just not the cabling. My new view on cables meant that i bought a ThatCable HDI for £5 off ebay for the PS3. It is beautifully made, has a WHF 5 Star review and ticks all the boxes.

A

Anonymous

f1only:I underatand how digital works & it passes an electric current, hence the emc question, also proximity to other electrical equipment & shielding.so how come my wireless digital streamer (airport express) works just fine and dandy even though it's thrown in the middle of a bunch of power cables?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:Jase, I am still a proponent of mains conditioning, just not the cabling. My new view on cables meant that i bought a ThatCable HDI for £5 off ebay for the PS3. It is beautifully made, has a WHF 5 Star review and ticks all the boxes.
Ok mate, just messing each to there own views, ha

I still enjoy reading your posts :)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
jase fox:maxflinn:maxflinn:my airport express is sat in between loads of power cables behind my av stand (well, coffee table) and the digital data from my laptop streams flawlessly to it, and there's no shielding in the air....
emotion-40.gif

emotion-1.gif

my ghostly gaurdian is looking after my tv's digital signal (from the sattelite dish) pretty well too jase, because that's perfect even when there's thunder and lightening, i really do have special shielding
emotion-5.gif

More than one spirit then max , ha

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:f1only:I underatand how digital works & it passes an electric current, hence the emc question, also proximity to other electrical equipment & shielding.so how come my wireless digital streamer (airport express) works just fine and dandy even though it's thrown in the middle of a bunch of power cables?

& has power cables feeding it & how well are the circuits inside shielded? bearing in mind its wireless & is suceptable to rfi? i shouild think very well or it would suffer badly

A

Anonymous

f1only:
maxflinn:f1only:I underatand how digital works & it passes an electric current, hence the emc question, also proximity to other electrical equipment & shielding.so how come my wireless digital streamer (airport express) works just fine and dandy even though it's thrown in the middle of a bunch of power cables?

& has power cables feeding it & how well are the circuits inside shielded? bearing in mind its wireless & is suceptable to rfi? i shouild think very well or it would suffer badly

it works perfectly, and it's in the middle of a nest of standard mains cables..

surely if any digital signal was succeptable to corruption from rfi it would be the airbourne one that is being received by my airport express? but it's perfect...

how so?

michael hoy

michael hoy:maxflinn:michael hoy:maxflinn:
here's a challenge (i know you like them
emotion-5.gif
) ..

you say, as indeed proffesorhat does (maybe he'll also take up my challenge), that you are sure that you have seen differences between hdmi cables.

now, if you can get hold of two cables that you believe offer different performance, shouldn't be hard, right?

maxflinn,

I can pull one hdmi lead in particular off my shelf now and show anyone the difference between this one and the cable I am currently using.

The colours and brightness in this cable are different to my current and past cables, there is an increase in both areas and to me is un natural.

hi michael, if these differences are real, and you can clearly see them, then watch the same movie scene a few times using the cable that you deem inferior and you should see random errors that manifest themselves in different ways each time, ie an inconsistent image, perhaps sound.

if you don't find inconsistencies in the image/sound then the cable is not losing data and therefore it is simply not possible that it could be displaying an inferior image to the supposed better cable
emotion-21.gif

this logic is sound imo..

Max,

The picture is not distorted, have sparklies nor have i noticed a difference in sound (I wasn't observing this at the time).

The lead in question gives to me an un natural colour and brightness to the picture, this I have checked with a film I am very familiar with.

The cable is not faulty but it does change the image.

Just to add a note on this.

My Spyder 3 also detected the difference between the two cables, with the lead in question it reduced the brightness setting for the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts