QED Signature HDMI or Chord Company Active HDMI?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not heard the QED, but I love the Chord active........

It made significant improvements to sound and picture, when i changed from the QED HDMI-P cable.....

Guess my eyes/ears are more sensitive than chudleighpaul's.......
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
emotion-4.gif

Or you are more susceptible to the placebo affect... I am going to remain neutral here but I know there is a great difference of opinion on this topic...

michael hoy

Pistol Pete1:

It made significant improvements to sound and picture, when i changed from the QED HDMI-P cable.....

emotion-4.gif

+1 here.

A

Anonymous

Can't comment on the QED but the chord company active hdmi is the best cable I have ever bought.

There was a definite improvement from the outgoing chord cable.

I have 3 which cost me about £85 each. £40 is a bargain.

Cables do make a difference IMHO but you do not get what you pay for. They are all vastly overpriced ...again IMHO.

Get the chord. You won't regret it.

A

Anonymous

Digital is digital, if it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't so there is nothing to be gained from expensive HDMI cables. As long as it is to standard (i.e v1.3 etc) and has gold plated connectors* then it will be as good as anything.

Analogue interconnects and speaker cables are a different matter though ....

* Edit: For the quality of the connection rather than quality of sound/picture.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy:Pistol Pete1:

emotion-4.gif

+1 here.

+2 here.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Childs1962, I was once sceptical like you but there's a big difference between a freebie HDMI and a good quality one. I replaced mine HDMI with a Chord and the difference in quality, picture and sound, was quite obvious. Like going from VHS to DVD!!

A

Anonymous

Childs1962:

Digital is digital, if it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't so there is nothing to be gained from expensive HDMI cables. As long as it is to standard (i.e v1.3 etc) and has gold plated connectors* then it will be as good as anything.

Analogue interconnects and speaker cables are a different matter though ....

* Edit: For the quality of the connection rather than quality of sound/picture.

+1 here for the hdmi bit.

A

Anonymous

Does any one know of a provable, technical reason why one functioning HDMI would be 'better' than another?

T

tiggs

Another 2 cables you should consider are the AudioQuest Forest or Cinnamon - Forest is around £23.00 -£35.00 (you can buy it without retail packaging for £23.00 on ebay), and the Cinnamon is between £50.00 - £60.00 for a 1 metre cable. For the money I would say it is well worth trying the AudioQuest Forest as it is easily as good as the Chord Supershield, and for the money the build quality is as good as any Chord or QED hdmi cable.

A

Anonymous

4biddenplanet:Does any one know of a provable, technical reason why one functioning HDMI would be 'better' than another?

The only variable is HDMI versions, v1.2, v1.3 etc, though this is down to functionallity not quality.

Digital either works or it doesnt hence you can take a digital image, audio or video file and drag and drop it on to a DVD-R, take the DVD-R to another PC and drop it on to the hard drive and then copy it to a memory stick, take that to another PC and transfer it via USB cable to a networked drive, pick it up of the network and upload the file to an FTP server, someone else can then download it from the FTP server and it will still be exactly the same as it started.

Analogue interconnects make a real difference, digital interconnects just have to work.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Childs1962:

4biddenplanet:Does any one know of a provable, technical reason why one functioning HDMI would be 'better' than another?

The only variable is HDMI versions, v1.2, v1.3 etc, though this is down to functionallity not quality.

Digital either works or it doesnt hence you can take a digital image, audio or video file and drag and drop it on to a DVD-R, take the DVD-R to another PC and drop it on to the hard drive and then copy it to a memory stick, take that to another PC and transfer it via USB cable to a networked drive, pick it up of the network and upload the file to an FTP server, someone else can then download it from the FTP server and it will still be exactly the same as it started.

Analogue interconnects make a real difference, digital interconnects just have to work.

Ok.. appreciate you are trying to make me save some ££, but is there a difference when it comes to real time digital streaming though? Sorry I am not well versed in how digital files are set up. For some reason I am thinking about a salami sausage. If I pass around a whole salami sausage to a few people the last person will have the same sausage. But if I slice it up and pass it around slice by slice, how am I going to be sure that the last person will have the exact same sausage?

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:axman:

I see that the £40 is for the older 1.3b Chord. Does it handle 3D?

Described as '3D ready'........on my Chord Active boxes.....

Thanks. Probably will get one and test it first and see.

A

Anonymous

axman:Childs1962:

Ok.. appreciate you are trying to make me save some ££, but is there a difference when it comes to real time digital streaming though? Sorry I am not well versed in how digital files are set up. For some reason I am thinking about a salami sausage. If I pass around a whole salami sausage to a few people the last person will have the same sausage. But if I slice it up and pass it around slice by slice, how am I going to be sure that the last person will have the exact same sausage?

Not the best analogy though I will stick with it ;-)

So you slice the sausage and hand the slices over one by one, and the other person reassembles the sausage, if one slice does not fit then it is not the same sausage and will be rejected.

As I say not the best analogy.

I would not skimp on quality in respect of the contruction though I really think that a well made £15 HDMI cable is just as good as a £100 HDMI cable and that any perceived differences are psycological, i.e it costs more so it must be better.

I repeat, analogue is a whole different matter ...

idc

Signals can break up over long distances and that will show as snow, flashes or lines. testing of difference HDMI cables has found that they start to fail over different lengths, but up to the point that they start to fail, there was no difference in the before and after signal that they passed. This was irrespective of the cost of the cable.

A

Anonymous

Afraid the cables don't make a difference crowd are right on this occasion. I bought an expensive one to go with my new TV, compared it with the freebie that came with the TV and got a refund for the expensive one. Zero difference.

michael hoy

Pistol Pete1:axman:

I see that the £40 is for the older 1.3b Chord. Does it handle 3D?

Described as '3D ready'........on my Chord Active boxes.....

I have tested these and yes they are 3D compatable, just do not have the ethernet part of the spec.

JohnnyV111

May 31, 2010
Visit site
007L2Thrill:michael hoy:Pistol Pete1:

emotion-4.gif

+1 here.

+2 here.

Is it possible to assess the relative strengths of the eyesight and hearing of two strangers based upon their opinions on HDMI cables?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts