QED Mains Cable - where to use?

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I purchased a second hand power amp which came with a QED Qonduit mains cable, never had one of these before. My question is which of my kit below would benefit the most from it? All the kit runs from a 4-way 2m extension cable.

Rotel RA-02 Amp (used as preamp)

Rotel RB-06 Power Amp

Panasonic TH37PX70 TV

Philips 1.7L kettle

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Love the inclusion of the kettle!
emotion-1.gif
The QED will probably speed up the boiling of the kettle and lend more weight and body to the water. You may find that your coffee tastes that bit more smooth and rounded.

In truth, I also have that cable, obtained in much the same way. I have been considering selling it on because when tried with both CDP and amps, it seems to reduce the overall clarity. Yes, I detected a gain in power and weight to the music, making it maybe fuller, but with my system I remain unconvinced. I do have a couple of other mains cables and they don't have the same possibly over-warm effect with my kit. I honestly believe mains cables can help, but need to spend more time trying them out before making a decision as to where best to, er, stick 'em.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Re the kettle - I haven't noticed a big difference in performance, but I did notice the water seemed to boil with much less noise and was a little hotter ;)

The power amp is new to me and has changed the sound of my system dramatically, so its difficult to know what the changes are at the moment.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just tried it on my printer and the text is now much clearer, enhanced contrast and the sentences and paragraphs start so much faster. Punctuation is more forward rhythmic and believable, but it has not cured my lousy grammar...
emotion-1.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
proffski:

Just tried it on my printer and the text is now much clearer, enhanced contrast and the sentences and paragraphs start so much faster. Punctuation is more forward rhythmic and believable, but it has not cured my lousy grammar...
emotion-1.gif

Ah, for improved grammar I believe you will probably need to purchase a Russ Andrews product.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I tried a mains conditioner but it somehow robbed my postings of life and impetus, my verbal fulminations lost their attack. Do you think I should go for a dedicated mains spur?

A

Anonymous

I've always found the greatest improvement by putting the best mains cable on the CDP. I wanted to believe that the pre was the best place but my experience shows it's the source.

If you consider buying any more, go for the Silver High Breed one. It beats my Chord Superscreen hands down and is cheaper!

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've plumped for putting it on the preamp rather than the TV. I can't say i've heard any difference, but as I said before, adding a new power amp has changed the sound of the system so its hard to tell.

I can't put it in my source as its a Squeezebox Classic (which has started to play up after 2 years of service - grr)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
proffski:

I tried a mains conditioner but it somehow robbed my postings of life and impetus, my verbal fulminations lost their attack. Do you think I should go for a dedicated mains spur?

Oooooh, you need to be very careful with fulminations; they tend to be very sensitive. I recommend both a dedicated mains spur and a Faraday Cage - better safe than sorry.

TRENDING THREADS