QED Classic 79 Strand Speaker Cable good enough?

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
My HT system is the Dali Zensor 5.1 Presently using cheap, generic cables. Need about 40m, so I was looking at the £2/m QED Classic 79 Strand. Will this cable be good enough? Anything else that is better in this price range? Thanks!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
So long as the cheap generic cables are not bell-wire thin, then they will be perfect and I wouldn't worry.

Spend the money on music or films :)

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
So long as the cheap generic cables are not bell-wire thin, then they will be perfect and I wouldn't worry.

Actually, cables can make a big difference. I know because for stereo I have experimented with different cables and have got different results.

The reason I didnt spend much on cables for HT before was due to the fact I was using very low end speakers for HT before. I am upgrading speakers and looking for cables, but dont want to spend a fortune.

Hence I would still appreciate if someone could tell me how the QED 79 stands upto other cables.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
nemo78 said:
fr0g said:

Actually, cables can make a big difference. I know because for stereo I have experimented with different cables and have got different results.

I used to feel the same. And every time I changed the cables I felt there was improvement.

That is, until I properly subjected myself to a blind testing session. In the end I put away my heavy fabric wrapped, professionally built expensive cables and rewired with the neatest cable I had. Some generic stuff which was easy to hide. The sound...identical.

It's very easy to kid yourself you're hearing an improvement when you believe you will, or hope you will :)

That was with Dali Ikon 6 speakers and a Lyngdorf SDAI2175 amp by the way.

I have since moved on to active speakers anyway. The cables in my AV system I regard as irrelevant...They work and are not too thin as to cause issues.

If you must spend money on cable, go for the stuff the pros use. Try Van Damme blue for instance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nemo78 said:
fr0g said:

The reason I didnt spend much on cables for HT before was due to the fact I was using very low end speakers for HT before. I am upgrading speakers and looking for cables, but dont want to spend a fortune.

Hence I would still appreciate if someone could tell me how the QED 79 stands upto other cables.

FWIW. IMO. The QED 79 strand is a sensible, no nonsense speaker cable (like Van Damme), but TQ Blue or Linn K20 is a little better.

Personally, I would go QED 79 or Van Damme for HT.....If you listen to a lot of music, then it's worth experimenting.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:

Can I ask about synergy of Dali and Lyngdorf? How could you compare Lyngdorf amp to others like NAD, Naim, Roksan etc.?

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Regisss said:
fr0g said:

Can I ask about synergy of Dali and Lyngdorf? How could you compare Lyngdorf amp to others like NAD, Naim, Roksan etc.?

Hi Regisss,

Very interesting setup! So by having the Ikon 6 as main (instead of the usual Zensor 5) did you notice an increase in quality? Did you compare the two (Zensor 5 vs Ikon 6, as the main speakers?)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Regisss said:
fr0g said:

I don't really believe in "synergy" as such, rather that the amp should be able to cope with the load of the speakers which all amps don't do for all speakers (very well). However, when I bought the Lyngdorf, I was replacing an Arcam A80, which I liked very much, but was a little low on oomph.

I can't comment on the other amps, as when I was buying there was little choice here locally (Sweden). In the end my choice was between a Cambridge Audio 840 or the Lyngdorf at the price I was willing to pay. The Cambridge felt a little lacking in power also, compared to the Lyngdorf.

The Lyngdorf had 200 WPC into 8 Ohms (375 into 4) and drove the Dalis with ease (I do tend to listen pretty loud at times). I was a little sad when I sold it. :( (But I had bought Avi actives by then).

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:
Regisss said:
fr0g said:

I don't really believe in "synergy" as such, rather that the amp should be able to cope with the load of the speakers which all amps don't do for all speakers (very well). However, when I bought the Lyngdorf, I was replacing an Arcam A80, which I liked very much, but was a little low on oomph.

I can't comment on the other amps, as when I was buying there was little choice here locally (Sweden). In the end my choice was between a Cambridge Audio 840 or the Lyngdorf at the price I was willing to pay. The Cambridge felt a little lacking in power also, compared to the Lyngdorf.

The Lyngdorf had 200 WPC into 8 Ohms (375 into 4) and drove the Dalis with ease (I do tend to listen pretty loud at times). I was a little sad when I sold it. :( (But I had bought Avi actives by then).

Thanks for comment! :)

Have you heared Lyngdorf TDAI-2170? How it could work with Dali Ikon 6 or Rubicon 6? :)

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
nemo78 said:
Hi Regisss,

Very interesting setup! So by having the Ikon 6 as main (instead of the usual Zensor 5) did you notice an increase in quality? Did you compare the two (Zensor 5 vs Ikon 6, as the main speakers?)

Hi Nemo78!
Actually it is audible difference between Zensor 5 and Ikon 6 mk2. When I was looking for speakers I liked Zensor from the first glance. But then I had a possibility to add these two speakers to one amplifier and switch between speakers A and B… then I can hear the biggest difference… Ikon 6 mk2 sounded much wider, with better dynamics, bass and hights…Despite of this I like also Zensor 5 and 7… :)Actually, I am rather big fan of Dali speakers… I also compared Dali Ikon 6 mk2 with B&W 683 and this year with B&W 683s2 and also find Dali better for my taste! :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Regisss said:
fr0g said:
Regisss said:
fr0g said:

Thanks for comment! :)

Have you heared Lyngdorf TDAI-2170? How it could work with Dali Ikon 6 or Rubicon 6? :)

Sorry, no, it's been a while since I swapped over to active. But I would guess the new Lyngdorf would be excellent, with pretty much any speaker you want. It even has Room-perfect. I assume it's pretty expensive though.

*edit, looking at our local Hifi shop's website, they recommend partnering speakers such as Mentor, Epicon and B&W 805, so I imagine it would drive Ikon and Rubicon very nicely.

iMark

I would start with looking at the wiring inside your amp. Probably cheap rubbish that causes a lot of distortion.
wink_smile.gif

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I use this 79 strand unbranded cable throughout my AV and it's excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005EH8YH0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts