QED 79 strand speaker cable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I was reading the user manual that was provided with my friend's ATC SCM11 speakers, and found that ATC recommend a good quality 79 strand speaker cable with 2.5mm2 cross sectional area. (For runs up to 10 metres in length.)

This seems to fit the description of the classic QED 79 strand cable which only costs between £1.50 and £2 a metre.

I guess ATC know a thing or two about speakers - and partnering them with suitable cables to get the best from them - so why aren't they recommending something more expensive?

daveh75

chebby:I guess ATC know a thing or two about speakers - and partnering them with suitable cables to get the best from them - so why aren't they recommending something more expensive?

I don't know, but PMC don't advocate the use of expensive cables either!

PMC:PMC recommend using a high quality thick multi-strand Oxygen Free
Copper (OFC) cable between the amplifier and speakers. The use of
'exotic" cables has limited improvement on sound quality, so we would
not advocate spending great quantities of money. However, if you are
prepared to spend a great deal of money in this area, we would strongly
advice you listen first to determine whether the outlay is worth the
improvement.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Same cable is recommended by Harbeth.

Along with the likes of entry Supra cables which are basically the same they are cost effective and provide good sound that is untampered with.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I think its interconnects that have the greatest impact on sound in a system. The speaker cable just needs to be of a big enough cross sectional area to cope with the power to be put through it and the length of the run. The same theory is applied to electrical installations.
My Ps audio Bi-wire speaker cables have 25sqmm conductors for the bass and 16sqmm for the trebble, and weigh 15kg per 5meter run. I bought these when i had a Krell FPB power amp so id be able to take full advantage of its current supplying capability.

A

Anonymous

Rick from Musicraft (ATC dealer, cracking guy btw) informed me most of the cable he uses is £3.00 a metre.

I promptly bought a 10m lot of 532 strand OFC copper from eBay for £12. Sounds great.

Monitor Audio also advocated using basic 'Pureflow' cable, their own brand, which is actually used inside the speaker.

I think PMC's advice is priceless and could save people a lot of money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts