QED Classic 79 Strand Speaker Cable

nemo78

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't find a review for the QED Classic 79 Strand Speaker Cable at WHF, and I dont have any way to audition. Before I order this online (to be used for HT), does anyone know the history of this cable? is it some old discontinued/obsolete cable? How does it compare with say, Carnival Silver screen?

On Amazon, the QED Classic 79 Strand Speaker Cable White 20m Pack is £44.00 only, hence very tempting.

Thanks!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
QED 79 strand is how loudspeaker cables used to be before cable manufacturers discovered marketing.

2.5mmsq CSA, 79 strands of 0.2mm, in a 'shotgun' configuration. Good quality, and fine for anything except very long cable runs. Being a cable, it doesn't 'sound' of anything. How could it? its a cable.

If you want Hifi jewelry, you should go elsewhere, if you want a good quality, well specified cable it is ideal.

If price matters, TLC (an electrical factor) sells an identical cable, that has been tested and found to be of excellent quality. I would post a link, but this website confounds my best attempts. It is part number CA SPEAK79 and costs 59p per metre plus VAT. I have used this cable on many installations, and found it to be great.

www.tlc-direct.co.uk

Reactions: Symples and Noddy
For home theatre, I recall QED did a thinner more flexible version, one with 42 strands. I used it fine with a 80wpc Denon AVR and some KEF1005s. You will only need something much better for a system of multiple full range speakers.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
The only downside with the QED 79 strand, is the lack of any identifying marks for one or both of the wires in the shotgun pair. Well that was the situation when I bought a load of it about 15 years ago. I don't know if they've changed it?

It just makes it a bit awkward when connecting up, or fitting plugs, particularly on longer runs. It ends up with lots of double and triple checking to make sure a mistake hasn't been made.

Profile 79 strand http://www.qed.co.uk/speaker_cables/profile/qed_classic_79_strand_cable.html

Profile 42 strand http://www.qed.co.uk/speaker_cables/profile/qed_classic_42_strand_cable.html

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
The only downside with the QED 79 strand, is the lack of any identifying marks for one or both of the wires in the shotgun pair. Well that was the situation when I bought a load of it about 15 years ago. I don't know if they've changed it?

It just makes it a bit awkward when connecting up, or fitting plugs, particularly on longer runs. It ends up with lots of double and triple checking to make sure a mistake hasn't been made.

nowt that a biro or marker pen can't fix at either end ;)

Reactions: Friesiansam

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
gowiththeflow said:

nowt that a biro or marker pen can't fix at either end ;)

Indeed, (I tagged mine) but I'm sure you'd still have to double check to make sure you've identified the correct wire, before marking it, so you haven't done anything different.

I double, double checked just to make sure, but that's just me.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:

Profile 79 strand http://www.qed.co.uk/speaker_cables/profile/qed_classic_79_strand_cable.html

Profile 42 strand http://www.qed.co.uk/speaker_cables/profile/qed_classic_42_strand_cable.html

That surprises me. I bought some for my old system some 25 years ago, and have just bought some for my new system. On both occasions there was a tracer (raised edge on one side).

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm with Freddy. Whenever I've used it in the past, one wire had a raised ridge or line down its length. A very subtle indicator that was better than ugly writing I thought.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
That surprises me. I bought some for my old system some 25 years ago, and have just bought some for my new system. On both occasions there was a tracer (raised edge on one side).

Xanderzdad said:
...Whenever I've used it in the past, one wire had a raised ridge or line down its length....
Thanks for that . Blimey, I hadn't noticed that in all those years (on second thoughts nearer to 20 + years than the 15 I originally stated).

That raised ridge is very subtle, so subtle that I missed it, but looks and feels more like molding flash. Even so it's a bit dubious as a means of identification IMHO and is obviously not foolproof, as this fool has just demonstrated !!!!!!

Cheers.

p.s. I can also second the recommendation for the VanDamme HiFi (UP-LCOFC). I'm using 5m x2 of the 6mm version at the moment.

charlescos

Apr 29, 2023
Visit site
QED 79 strand is how loudspeaker cables used to be before cable manufacturers discovered marketing.

2.5mmsq CSA, 79 strands of 0.2mm, in a 'shotgun' configuration. Good quality, and fine for anything except very long cable runs. Being a cable, it doesn't 'sound' of anything. How could it? its a cable.

If you want Hifi jewelry, you should go elsewhere, if you want a good quality, well specified cable it is ideal.

If price matters, TLC (an electrical factor) sells an identical cable, that has been tested and found to be of excellent quality. I would post a link, but this website confounds my best attempts. It is part number CA SPEAK79 and costs 59p per metre plus VAT. I have used this cable on many installations, and found it to be great.

www.tlc-direct.co.uk
That TLC store cable is not copper-cu. it is CCA-copper clad aluminium. For what i is, CCA, it is not cheap.

D

Deleted member 201267

Unfortunately, the person you replied to hasn’t visited for 5 years. I suggest you look at the date before resurrecting an old thread.

Welcome to WHF.
Do people not receive an email alert when they receive a reply in a thread such as this ?

Reactions: charlescos

charlescos

Apr 29, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately, the person you replied to hasn’t visited for 5 years. I suggest you look at the date before resurrecting an old thread.

Welcome to WHF.
Thanks for the welcome. The thread appeared on a google search I did. Anyone can access it. As the suggestion of CCA would be a bad choice the next viewer will benefit from better information. The thread may be old but it´s out there.

How I set up my account? Please tell me more.
And about old bad information? It shouldn't be left without comment. If so it stands as accepted knowledge/advice
It's under the preferences section of your account - you can choose whether you receive email when a thread of yours is replied to.

It could also be argued that in flagging up an old post you may give previous opinions greater credibility, for better or worse. I don't think this is of Earth-shattering importance one way or the other, personally.

Gray

And about old bad information? It shouldn't be left without comment. If so it stands as accepted knowledge/advice
I agree.
Google often points searchers this way.
Far better that they're given the most useful information.
I say well done @charlescos.
I'll take your type of first-post rather than the types this place often gets 👍

Friesiansam

That depends upon how you set up your account. Generally speaking, forum policy is not to resurrect ancient threads.
It's usual on most forums to not resurrect old threads and, it's almost 8½ years since this one went dormant...

Also, if someone adds their own advice to an ancient thread, how is someone coming here via a search engine, going to know which advice is correct?

Best to leave dormant threads to their sleep.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Gray

....if someone adds their own advice to an ancient thread, how is someone coming here via a search engine, going to know which advice is correct?

Best to leave dormant threads to their sleep.
Surely better they get all advice, rather than be left with less useful (or worse, just plain wrong) advice.

I know this isn't Wikipedia, but imagine if posts there were left unchallenged - just because they're old.

charlescos

Apr 29, 2023
Visit site
... Google throws up something ancient. Bringing old stuff into the light of day therefore makes it more, not less visible.
Although i started reading WhatHifi and other mags in the late 70s (I think I was 8 at the time) today google brought me here. Visibility is the most valuable asset a site can have and this forum -being open to all- , in my view, only benefits with more viewership.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts