QA 2020i, MA BX2 or QA Concept 20 for Marantz M-CR510

thomas70

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have decided to purchase the Marantz M-CR510 but I am looking for some advice on the speakers to go with it.

I've been considering:

- Q Acoustics 2020i

- Monitor Audio BX2

- Q Acoustics Concept 20

Does anyone have any experience of these speakers with the M-CR510 (or one of the similar Marantz models)?

I'm able to get the BX2's for the same price as the 2020i's as a package deal but the Concept 20's are significantly more expensive, especially with the stands.

With the Concept 20's having the same drivers as the 2020i's, is Is there really such a significant difference between these speakers that reflect the price difference?

I know it's subjective to a certain extent but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have owned these three speakers and all three represent great value for money IMO.

They do sound different though so you should try to listen for yourself with your equipment and in your room if possible.

For me, the Concept 20 are the best of the three and worth the upgrade price over the 2020i.

T

the record spot

If you're looking at small speakers up to £350, then the Tannoy DC4 needs to be on the shortlist as well. Ignore the reviews that day they're bass light, which is the default opinion of most on here too, and include them.

They're good enough to compete with the Concept 20s and better than the other two.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
If you can afford it I would buy the concept 20 speakers.

But the 2020i are great too...........I own them myself and they are already very, very good.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd also look at the Q Acoustics... I did really like them when i heard them last!

I think at that price range they were one of the only speakers in which I thought the bass was really well articulated and controlled.. the kick drums didn't sound boomy and I thought they were quite revealing too! Had to play around with the reflex port plugs a little but placing them away from the wall i felt was a must!

Marantz has always been a bit too subtle for my tastes, but that network receiver seemed pretty good when i heard it! In a way it seemed to have a touch of the PM-6004 and seemed to be engaging...

But speakers i think if you can afford them, you should go in for the concept 20 :)

manicm

Do not rule out the BX2 - it may well suit the seemingly slightly laid-back CR-510 and the two may thus be a really good match. The BX2s are clear, punchy, efficient and not fussy about positioning either. In fact out of the box they're bass-heavy but even out after a few days. And in the end you may even save a few quid you could spend elsewhere for your system.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
Do not rule out the BX2 - it may well suit the seemingly slightly laid-back CR-510 and the two may thus be a really good match. The BX2s are clear, punchy, efficient and not fussy about positioning either. In fact out of the box they're bass-heavy but even out after a few days. And in the end you may even save a few quid you could spend elsewhere for your system.

I don't have experience of the QA stuff however i have recently got some BX2's and they are exactly as you say - the clarity is really really impressive but they are still punchy in the old backbeat. Mine are paired with a Marantz PM5004 amp and they are a very good match so good infact that i feel i don't need to upgrade my amp as intended, well not for a while anyways.......

thomas70

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I did briefly hear both the 2020i's and the BX2's but they were with a Yamaha CRX-N560D rather than the M-CR510. There was a clear difference between these speakers. The 2020i's came across as solid, assured and smooth. The BX2's seemed bright and detailed in a good way. It was only a quick listen and hard to know what I would find better after an extended period. Not been able to hear the Concept 20's although the comments are consistently good from everyone who has heard them.

manicm

The BX2s may initially sound bright only because they have such good clarity. I've had them before, and they're not fatiguing in any way. They're not harsh.

If there was any criticism of the speaker is that I thought they were a bit too focused on the midrange for my taste - but that means if you love vocals you'll love this speaker. And they LOVE being wound up to higher volumes.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I heard the BX2s with a Rotel, I've never liked the rotel's because of their upper mid and higher frequency performance, I feel they are too harsh for me. So I changed the amp and got in an Arcam which sounded smooth'er'... I still however felt that the BX2s were slightly bright sounding... i agree that they've got good clarity, but just to check the highs, I played an Anne Sophie Mutter violin piece and I felt it wasn't as detailed as it could've been... For what it produced, it produced clearly, it just didn't produce enough for me... I do think that the mid range is overwhelming! Just my opinion! They're built quite well though... :)

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The BX2 are great speakers but they need some warm sounding amplification. They can sound clinical if partnered wrong. The NAD C326BEE sounds very good with the BX2 speakers IMO.

For me the q acoustics 2020i are a step up. More detailed sounding, a bit warmer, imaging is far better, bass is more articulate, far more natural sounding. The buildquality is much better also.

manicm

Cypher said:
The BX2 are great speakers but they need some warm sounding amplification. They can sound clinical if partnered wrong. The NAD C326BEE sounds very good with the BX2 speakers IMO.

For me the q acoustics 2020i are a step up. More detailed sounding, a bit warmer, imaging is far better, bass is more articulate, far more natural sounding. The buildquality is much better also.

The CR-510/610 would seem to benefit from a slightly livelier speaker like the BX2.

thomas70

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again to you all for the great thoughts and advice. I've now got a much clearer idea of what to expect from these different speaker options. I just need to make a decision now!

acgingersnaps

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it's too late, but I bought the M-CR 510 at the beginning of January. I already own 2020i's, and can confirm that they sound excellent with it. IMHO, a great budget set up. My turntable sounds excellent through the set up as well (With a seperate Phono stage of course).

thomas70

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your comment. I went with the Concept 20's in the end and it's sounding good! The Marantz is a great little box, very easy to use, USB, AirPlay, Spotify, etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts