Q-acoustics 1050 v Kef iq5 v Tannoy F4

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm planning on getting a pair of floor-standers to go with my sonos system (they'll be powered by the ZP100). My price range is £300-£400. They need to go with their backs right against the wall really (it's not that we haven't got space, but that I've got to please the wife...), so I reckon that rules out any rear-ported speakers, which leaves me AFAIK with the Q-acoustics 1050 and the KEF iQ5 as recommended models.

What I like is weight and soundstage. Can anyone help me decide?! Does the fact the cones in the 1050 are slightly larger mean that the bass goes a bit lower?

thanks!

A

Anonymous

the 1050s actually dont go down as low, or indeed as high, as the iQ5s, but the frequency response on the 1050s is higher. I have 1050s in my set up and I dont find that the bass response is bad. Having only set them up temporarily before I move house, I find the sccale and soundstage is very impressive for the money I paid, £175. But looking at it with hindsight, I certainly would not mind the £300 outlay for these speakers. I have heard a pure kef system equivavlent to my q acoustics and the high end is better, but not justifying the price difference.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Definatly go for the KEFs and try and get the new SE editions unless you can pick up the older non SE model for a bargain price. I have the IQ9S and they are lovely and the bulid quality on the KEFs is better than that of the Q-accoustics, you will also find they are not too fussy where you place them.

A

Anonymous

As far as going against the walls is involved, the 1050s do need to be put a certain distance apart and away from walls. 4m apart is springing to mind, im sure its only a few cms away from the rear and side walls.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I'm not sure about the iq5se's, the what hi-fi review said the bass was a little light, not at all what I'm after. What about the Tannoy Mercury F4? It looks interesting...

A

Anonymous

Hi

I hope you will not mind me adding to this thread.

But I am in the market looking at the Kefs and the Q acoustics. I did have a look at the Sonos forum and interestingly there was a thread which suggested that the sonos amp. found it hard to drive the Kefs.

Because of that I am thinking of going down the round of Q acoustics, but I wonder if you have made any further progres (have you brought any speakers and ran them to see how they perform?)

Sorry for using you as test case.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I got a good offer on the Q acoustics, I did consider the Monitor Audio BR5, but found no local stockist. I then had to resort to paper comparison and the Q Acoustics came out out on top compared with all the similarly priced floorstanders.

Verdict: Its not bad through a sonos amp, but miles better though a Rotel RA 02 amp - so guess what I want for christmas!

But seriously, the Q Acoustics are very good through the Rotel, and for the money, I was hard pushed to justify the Kefs price...or Tannoy or BR5...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts