Kef Q300 v B&W 685

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Kef Q300’s…I bought them!!

Hi all, I haven’t posted for a couple of years but as there has been mixed views on these speakers I thought I’d add a little if long review and my experience of these speakers a week on and counting.

I have recently been experimenting with speakers having gone from floor standing (mission 734’s & M74i’s the latter being awfully bright!!) to standmount ( AE Aelite 2’s, MA BR2’s and RS1’s). Overall, standmount suit my listening room (17ft by 12ft 6" with speakers firing across the 12ft 6" part) as positioning floor standing speakers with enough room to "breathe" especially in the bass department, has proved too tricky. I found the Aelite 2’s to be good speakers, well made with a smooth sound if a little too polite and lacking in the bass department. The MA offerings were just too bright for my liking especially when pushed hard. I also listen to my ipod through my system (I know, not exactly hi fi) and the MA’s made listening at volume very fatiguing.

Anyhow, I arranged an audition at my local Sevenoaks store. Staff was very helpful and I was originally looking at MA RX1 & 2’s and the B&W 685’s. It was Andy, the store manager, who suggested the q300’s and if I’d found MA’s to be bright in the past, I would probably find the RX1 & RX2’s of a similar sound characteristic if though a vast improvement on the BR2 and RS1’s. I hadn’t heard of these speakers before (q300) and did some quick research before the demo. I discovered there wasn’t a lot of review information out there but agree with previous posts that at first glance, the look is a little dated. Very much down to personal taste.

Anyhow, Sevenoaks didn’t have any NAD amplification to go with their arcam CD37 CD player (a similar match to my CD73T?) and it wasn’t feasible to take my old and trusty NAD pre/power combination in. So, the arcam A38 did the amplification duties and the CD37 the disc spinning bit.

I took a large selection of CD’s from my collection of Classic and Prog rock and thrash metal (a result of having a 19 year old mosher as a son!). The 685’s were up first and although they’ve been around for a while it was my first listen. I can understand what all the fuss is about…these are really good speakers. First up was Spock’s Beard latest album X, which I have been listening to extensively, so had a good idea of what to compare the sound with.

They sounded detailed with the arcam electronics but on extended listening a bit bright for me. The bass was a little lacking also. They are great for positioning due to the front port and were very close to the back wall. This is how they would be positioned at home so was a fair comparison with my room acoustics. Next up was a Mostly Autumn track, which is a little lacking in bass, and can sound harsh if played loud. The 685’s coped with the track very well with precise instrument positioning and a detailed male and female combined vocal presentation. Decent bass was also on offer with a not too harsh top end. Next followed RUSH "The Main Monkey Business" an instrumental track off of the Snakes & Arrows album. It’s a fast flowing piece with plenty of highs and deep lows in the form of sonic booms. I could pick out individual instruments, follow the bass guitar line and the intricate percussion. But the impact of the sonic boom was lacklustre and something I just couldn’t live with after hearing/knowing what the impact can and should sound like. Next up Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" Now this is a very bass heavy production and as yet my previous speaker offerings have not been able to control. The 685’s did a very very good job indeed. Bass was well controlled the overall sound detailed but the lovely warm enveloping feeling of the album was missing…not for me. My final disc was Dio’s "Holy Diver". An old early generation AAD recording that can sound particularly harsh on the top end with Dio’s voice appearing shrill. The 685’s sounded politer than my previous MA variants but still too bright for me.

So…next up came the Kef q300’s. I have to agree not the prettiest to look at and I wasn’t expecting much. It’s not to say they’re not well built and innovative in the speaker department but very oldfashioned looking and quite a large speaker. Being front ported again they were positioned close to the rear wall (as would be at home) and I was told would need a little warming up and were only about half way through their running in cycle. Immediately to me there was a vast improvement in bass (over my previous speakers and the 685’s) both in impact and depth. Even better than my Mission 734s Imo. The Spock’s Beard X CD sounded awesome. Deep bass, detailed soundstage and extremely listenable. The same goes for the Mostly Autumn CD. The positioning of the combined male/female vocal was incredible. Shut my eyes and it really felt like the vocalists were in the room with me. Even the bass was far deeper and controlled than I’d ever heard before. As for the Rush track..The sonic boom was immense both in weight, depth and above all feel. Smashing Pumpkins up next. Well…just the sound I’ve been looking for. Very deep defined bass, always in control and that lovely lush, enveloping feeling…bloody fantastic! The final CD…Dio. No harshness but plenty of detail and for me…heavy metal sounding at its best especially played loud! That was it as far as I was concerned. Job done and to listen further (MA RX1 & RX2’s) to me would have confused my judgement as I’m a great believer in stopping once you have found the sound you like…well for now anyway.

So having lived with these speakers for a week how am I getting on? How are they on the end of my NAD combo? The answer is even better than the demo electronics. At the time I had no idea how much the Arcam A38 cost and at around £1500’s worth I was amazed how poor sounding it was up against my own NAD amplification. I’ve been playing everything from Lamb of God to Take That (not my choice…honest!) and the sound is perfect for me. Plenty of detail excellent controlled bass and most of all non fatiguing when pushed hard for long listening periods and due to the excellent mid range, they are very listenable speakers. Thanks for reading if you've made it too the end!

Just need to upgrade my surround sound speakers, centre and rears but most definitely will go for the q200c and q100’s

Cheers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
After hearing the MA RX6, B&W684, KEF Q500 and KEF Q700's the other day, I'm totally with you on this.....

The KEF Q700's were by far the best speaker, followed by the Q500's.......

Needless to say, my KEF Q500's turned up today......even better sounding in my lounge.

The reason I didn't get the Q700's...too big for my room.....
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I had a listen to the q500's by accident as they were connected to a naim xs i was demo'ing and i agree they sounded superb..enjoy!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I've heard there is a 3 page article in this month's What hifi on the KEF Q300's.....

Still awaiting my copy to come through the door though......
emotion-9.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Please don't spoil it for those whom have yet to receive their copies (thanks to Royal Mail wintry weather backlog) or can't buy one yet (issue in shops Thursday)
emotion-40.gif

And there will, of course, be a follow-up Group Test involving the KEFs - in fact there's one planned in for our very first issue on sale next year; February issue, on sale Jan 10th

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Just a quick update on how I'm getting on with my Q300's.

Well....I can't fault their sound and until recently, have been rediscovering my music collection and enjoying every minute of it.

BUT...over the xmas hols whilst watching a dvd with the Q300's taking on front main speaker duties, there was an almighty crackling sound from the right speaker followed by distorted bass. I was watching "Inception" at a low volume. It was early in the film and it was the scene when Leonardo de Caprio gets tipped into a bath to wake him from a dream. Anyhow, I guess there was a bit more bass for the impact into the bath water but as I said, I was watching at low volume (kids were in bed).

On examination it appeared that the bass drive of the speaker extended beyond it's limit with a grating sound/feel when gently moved backwards and forwards. It also no longer lined up flush with the tweeter when at rest. It was very puzzling.

I contacted good ole Sevenoaks HiFi here in Bristol (where I had bought the speakers) and they were extremely helpful telling me to bring the unit in and they would fit a new driver. This has been done (with a fantastically quick turn around) and the speaker looks as good as new. I will now carefully run the speaker in and for now, have directed my main speaker's bass to the sub.

The strange thing is, is that this was the first time I had used the speakers in my AV system. Whether there was a fault with the speaker from manufacture is unclear as before the incident and even after the speaker appeared to sound OK with stereo HiFi.

Just thought I'd share my experience and ask if anyone else has had a similar problem with any of the new Kef Q series speakers or can shed some light on what might have caused this?

Andy (the manager at Sevenoaks) said the faulty driver was sent back to Kef as they were eager to examine it. Again, I can't praise my dealer enough and hope it was a one off and I can enjoy trouble free music for a few years to come.

Cheers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Very strange......

Mine are set to a cross over of 80Hz at the front (centre too) and 100Hz for the rears.

Like you I don't have them overly loud, and I'm happy to say i've had no problems at all..

Glad to hear your receiving a good after sales service too....sometimes that can be hard to find.......

A

Anonymous

On behalf of KEF, we are sorry that you have had a failure with one of our products.

As with all quality feedback it has been reported immediately to our Quality department for any necessary corrective action to be taken.

We fully appreciate how inconvenient this fault may have been to you but sometimes the main issue is not the fault but how it is dealt with and we are glad that you have had a quick and efficient aftersales service.

This is one aspect that we in the KEF Service Dept, and our retailers take very seriously.

Please feel free to contact us at any time as are always happy to help.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Good response from KEF and the dealer. Often in life things do go wrong, and what makes or breaks us is the way it is dealt with. When it goes right the initial problem is washed away and forgotten about.

A

Anonymous

Hi there... I too have had a demo of the 685 speakers vs the Q300 speakers at a local Sevenoaks (in this instance connected to Audiolab CD and amp) and having read this thread before I went I thought I'd give my tuppence worth on the speakers.

In a nutshell I thought the KEFs the better speaker but only fractionally, and only after serious contemplation. I thought the B&Ws had a more emotional impact, a bit more punchy and engaging - something that hit me in the stomach more on louder and more rythmic tracks. Yet I found them to be the opposite of bright really - quite hazy and breathy and a bit muddled. The KEFs on the other hand were a bit more 'hifi' - very clean and detailed and they managed to follow quite muddled, complicated recordings with a lot more ease. As far as I can see (hear!), the KEFs don't really have a weakness, it's just that if I wanted to dance around my living room to some pop music, I'd probably plump for the B&Ws, but for all else it would be the KEFs.

In the end I didn't go for either speaker, opting to stick with what I've got for now. But it just goes to show that everyone has different tastes so use your ears and stop reading forums! (joke) Also - props to Sevenoaks for being very hospitable and welcoming. Thanks.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
bushmendous:

Hi there... I too have had a demo of the 685 speakers vs the Q300 speakers at a local Sevenoaks (in this instance connected to Audiolab CD and amp) and having read this thread before I went I thought I'd give my tuppence worth on the speakers.

In a nutshell I thought the KEFs the better speaker but only fractionally, and only after serious contemplation. I thought the B&Ws had a more emotional impact, a bit more punchy and engaging - something that hit me in the stomach more on louder and more rythmic tracks. Yet I found them to be the opposite of bright really - quite hazy and breathy and a bit muddled. The KEFs on the other hand were a bit more 'hifi' - very clean and detailed and they managed to follow quite muddled, complicated recordings with a lot more ease. As far as I can see (hear!), the KEFs don't really have a weakness, it's just that if I wanted to dance around my living room to some pop music, I'd probably plump for the B&Ws, but for all else it would be the KEFs.

In the end I didn't go for either speaker, opting to stick with what I've got for now. But it just goes to show that everyone has different tastes so use your ears and stop reading forums! (joke) Also - props to Sevenoaks for being very hospitable and welcoming. Thanks.

But what speaker had the best clarity and sweetness to the treble.

A

Anonymous

Good question... In hindsight I'd have to say the Q300s probably. I say 'probably' as that wasn't something that grabbed me for either, which I'd interpret now as both being good in that department. However, with the 685s being a bit hazier, the Q300s would seem to have the best clarity... but to be certain I'd need to go back and spend more time listening.

A

Anonymous

Pike900,

what amplifier (brand & model) do you use for your KEF Q300 speakers ?

TRENDING THREADS