Q Acoustic 2010 or Tannoy Mercury F1?

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Looking for a pair of speakers for my dad, can't demo any of the above so anybody with any thoughts/views on these speakers your advice is much appreciated.........

He's only got a Pioneer Amp and CDP (can't remember the model numbers- nothing special) so i just want to get him a half decent set of speakers

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoy's are wonderful speakers. Never heard the Q's, but I would also consider the Roth OLi 2's. Not heard them either, but Mr P raved about them with his Pioneer A400 (he's since changed them, but that's not unusual! lol)

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:All things being equal, I'd say the Tannoys, but they're big and space might suggest the Qs would be better. Where's he going to put them? Does he have stands?

Yep he's got Apollo Olympus stands, it's all open plan kitchen/dining area........there going in the dining area but can be heard from the kitchen

The Wharfedale's he has are giving up the ghost, so i thought of a nice Father's Day pressie for him
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

The Oli 2s are excellent in many ways but they need very careful partnering and they aren't a speaker for long listening sessions. I'm planning on utilising mine in a second set-up now. (As for what I'm using in my main set-up that is anyone's guess. I have several pairs of speakers to my mine and I am in the middle of trying them all again!)

I'd be inclined to go for more of an all-rounder and I think the Tannoys are very difficult to beat for that. I really do think they are an excellent speaker.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup... Tannoys for me as well

Lovely little speakers and they'll do well in a majority of systems... We're getting some soon for the kitchen/dining area as well

steven123

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought some F1's for my mom to partner with a marantz sr7300 reciever and it sounds really good; detailed, warm and most important, they draw you into the music. But room acoustics are really important i guess, cause in my house(flat walls, high roof) they did not sound that good. But even the wharfedale 10.1 in my house dont sound as good as the f1's in my mothers house(carpet, low roof). I auditioned the qacoustics 2020 with the marantz pm6003 and it sounded awful(really bright, harsh treble, no midrange) but i think the acoustics of the demo room was not that good, cause whathifi love them. My vote goes to the tannoys:)

Does anyone know if it is normal that the bassports have some green stuff in them, and i dont mean the foam bassport plugs/bungs?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts