PS3 to NAD M51 DAC - er, help???

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've just ordered a NAD M51 DAC (goodbye Chord 64!) and it's due to arrive sometime next week.

However, in preparation I've been pondering how I will actually play Blu-rays and send the audio signal to the DAC via HDMI?

My PS3 is connected to my TV via HDMI and in order to access the full audio I would need to connect the PS3 to NAD via HDMI too.

Problem: there's only one HDMI on the PS3.

If I simply connect the PS3 directly to the NAD for audio only, which I want to do, how will I access the tracks on the Blu Rays'?

Am I missing something really obvious here?

SteveR750

I can see your problem. A sony BDP has an HDMI out (for the TV) and optical out (for the soundtrack into the DAC). Since the xbox only has one HDMI o/p then it might not be possible, unless there is a HDMI out on the NAD (the new C390DD has HDMI pass though module to do just this if I got it correctly).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I can see your problem. A sony BDP has an HDMI out (for the TV) and optical out (for the soundtrack into the DAC). Since the xbox only has one HDMI o/p then it might not be possible, unless there is a HDMI out on the NAD (the new C390DD has HDMI pass though module to do just this if I got it correctly).

Thanks for the replies.

I think the NAD M51 has two HDMI inputs and one output.

Yes, I want to be able to benefit from the higher audio on several Blu- rays I own by sending the sound to the NAD DAC, but need to be able to access the menu too from the TV screen.

Is this possible with the PS3 as my Blu Ray spinner?

clinton333

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks like an awesome addition the M51... I believe that if you connect the ps3 to the M51 via hdmi (out to in)

the Nad will split the video and audio signals providing video passthrough; therefore allowing you to connect the Nad to the tv via hdmi out (video) and to your pre via analogue outs (audio)...

I hope this is of some assistance and good luck

:dance:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
clinton333 said:
Looks like an awesome addition the M51... I believe that if you connect the ps3 to the M51 via hdmi (out to in)

the Nad will split the video and audio signals providing video passthrough; therefore allowing you to connect the Nad to the tv via hdmi out (video) and to your pre via analogue outs (audio)...

I hope this is of some assistance and good luck

:dance:

Thank you. I hope it all connects accordingly.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
PS3 will output lossless as 2channel pcm over optical - use optical for sound and hdmi for video.

Thanks everyone.

Clinton, you are right. My dealer confirmed what you said. HDMI out from PS3 to NAD, then HDMI out from the DAC back to the TV.

(No need for lower bit-rate feed from optical. That's what I currently use when connecting PS3 to my Chord DAC, and that won't handle anything above 16bit/44.1 KHz)

Just awaiting delivery sometime next week now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts