PS3 - Pan BD35 - Sony S350 or skyHD - YOU DECIDE !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm after Expert advice on what device to purchase

I'm favouring the Ps3 but really want to know the ins-and-outs of this machine as i can get the S350 for £180 and Pan BD35 for £250 ! and obvoiusly SkyHD at the standard price.

I have a 720p TV Samsung

Thanks

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
similar dilema i am in....

i think if all your going to use it for is watching DVDs and BluRay then go for the Panna, but if your wanting to use the 80g hard drive for anything (eg photos) and the streaming functionality or to play lots of games the go for the PS3....

i myself dont play that many games...so its doubtful i will get a PS3

A

Anonymous

I really do like the PS3, have had mine since 07/07.
It is still bang up to date due to the wireless download upgrades it keeps receiving, the latest 2.50 has made big improvements to DVDs. On Blue Ray it gives a faultless performance, and fast loading times, menu selection.
Nice to have the hard drive to load and view digital pictures on. Great for us all to sit down and go through a slide show of our holidays etc on the big screen.
I know with the continued updates it will stay up to date. Reckon would have to spend around £900 on a player to get a slight improvement on the PS3.
Until the 'chips' inside the box make a significant improvement I don't see any major benefits to be had.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
deanm:
I'm after Expert advice on what device to purchase

I'm favouring the Ps3 but really want to know the ins-and-outs of this machine as i can get the S350 for £180 and Pan BD35 for £250 ! and obvoiusly SkyHD at the standard price.

I have a 720p TV Samsung

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand. You mention two bluray players and Sky HD, is it a choice between the three which you go for? If so, and if you watch sport and are happy to pay the subscription, Sky HD all the way. As for bluray, unless you have a surround set up with HD audio capabale amp, I would wait until after Christmas. Prices will go down further and at the moment, it's a lot to pay just for picture.

A

Anonymous

Great Advice. Thanks

Although I only have a 720p TV would i still see an improved picture quality from these players?

I think i have narrowed my options to PS3 or Pan BD35

PS3 for the added games/multi media use OR

Pan BD35 for what i have read "Excellent picture quality"

any votes?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You say your Samsung is not a full HD model but yet fail to mention its size?

IMHO the differance between BD at either 720p/1080i or 1080p is only really noticible on larger screens with the main benifit being if your screen can display the 1080p image at 24fps.

Of the 2 BD spinners you have shortlisted if you are ot into games then for me its the Panasonic all the way, but the PS3 is a good all rounder if you want to hedge your bets and have a multi-purpose machine. I use a PS3 for my BD playback and its OK (dont use it for DVD as have a Denon DVD3930 which knocks the socks off PS3 for DVD) and I will continue to use it for BD playback until I see a BD player that is not only a Fantastic BD player but also up to the standards of my Denon with DVD and CD (and truely multi-region for BD and DVD)

One thing that does get on my nerves with the PS3 is that being a games machine it has no front pannel display, also you have to fork out for the BD remote as I find using the gamepad for BD playback awfull.

A

Anonymous

As i bought my HDready tv at the time of the all the "Hype" i'm not sure if it is 24fps, but its 720p on a 40" Samsung. LE40n73bdx.

I'm just thinking that although the Panasonic will give the best picture for my budget I'm guessing unless you have the right TV etc then your limited to what your getting out of the BD player? - As i'm only running on 720p ?

Are you satisfied with your PS3 as a blu ray player? are you running on 1080p TV? thanks for the advice on the remote!

A

Anonymous

My TV is a 46" full HD and I can't fault how the PS3 works through my system.
I don't play DVDs, only Blue Ray but I understand the latest 2.50 software has improved things significantly since it was last reviewed.
The big clincher is that Sony keeps developing software for it so it gets better and better. This does not happen on other players.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
deanm:

Are you satisfied with your PS3 as a blu ray player? are you running on 1080p TV? thanks for the advice on the remote!

My Samsung 50"" Plaz is 1080p and 24fps and the PS3 is good but when I hooked up my friends Panasonic BD50 you could see significant imporvements in the picture. As I said earlier, My PS3 will "do" as my BD spinner until I find a BD player that is not onlt a great BD player but equal to My Denon 3930 for DVD and CD proformance, and multi-region for both BD and DVD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts