PS3 or PowerDVD Blu-Ray picture quality issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks, new to posting here but was wondering if you could help.

I have PowerDVD that I use to play all my Blu-rays through my PC. The picture is sent through VGA (D-Sub) and at my Samsungs native res of 1366x768. The quality is pixel perfect and I love it. Recently I bought a PS3 and have connected it up with an expensive HDMI cable and set the output to 720p (TV supports 1080i but I can notice the interlacing during flashing images). I have also set the PS3 to full colour range output and tweaked the tv settings (turned sharpness down a bit) however the blu-ray picture quality is far worse than my pc running PowerDVD. Any idea why this is?

One of the biggest differences can be seen when watching Band of Brothers Blu Ray. There seems to be higher contrast when watching through the PS3 and as such it looses detail in the battlefields and textures appear muddy. Also the film grain which wonderfully softens the images and remains mostly un-noticed, adding subtle life to the scenes is suddenly edge enhanced (I have turned my tv sharpness down to about 40%) and now mottles the film quite noticeably...

Any idea if I should be expecting the PS3 to have a worse image or better? Or if ive set something wrong?

Cheers,

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Joda Cast:

Hi folks, new to posting here but was wondering if you could help.

I have PowerDVD that I use to play all my Blu-rays through my PC. The picture is sent through VGA (D-Sub) and at my Samsungs native res of 1366x768. The quality is pixel perfect and I love it. Recently I bought a PS3 and have connected it up with an expensive HDMI cable and set the output to 720p (TV supports 1080i but I can notice the interlacing during flashing images). I have also set the PS3 to full colour range output and tweaked the tv settings (turned sharpness down a bit) however the blu-ray picture quality is far worse than my pc running PowerDVD. Any idea why this is?

One of the biggest differences can be seen when watching Band of Brothers Blu Ray. There seems to be higher contrast when watching through the PS3 and as such it looses detail in the battlefields and textures appear muddy. Also the film grain which wonderfully softens the images and remains mostly un-noticed, adding subtle life to the scenes is suddenly edge enhanced (I have turned my tv sharpness down to about 40%) and now mottles the film quite noticeably...

Any idea if I should be expecting the PS3 to have a worse image or better? Or if ive set something wrong?

Cheers,

I'd suggest changing the colour output back to 'Limited' on the PS3. 'Full' usually results in much blacker blacks and whiter whites, and thus a dramatic loss of detail in very dark and very light areas of the picture.

Also, try changing the PS3's output from 'RGB' to 'YPbPr', this may make a difference. And just keep fiddling with your TV's settings, hopefully you'll find the settings that best suit.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

slewis:Garland Genoho:What is 'PowerDVD'?

software for your pc.

You can watch blu-ray movies with this installed?? Do you know where I can get this?

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
Well, you need a Blu-Ray drive installed in your PC...

Ok, in that case, it's a no-go. Thanks professore!

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
As above, make sure its LIMITED RGB and that video content is set to AUTO (Else youll be converting it to RGB which gains you nothing)

Are the settings on the tv set the exact same as for the PC input? I suspect theyre not

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts