PS3 for streaming music?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
My PS3 has always been sat in my bedroom with just a telly for company. Today I noticed that not only did it recognise my NAS drive on the network, it is also able to play FLAC files.

Anyone got experience of hooking up an amp and speakers for playing FLAC in terms of sound quality?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Are you using a media server programme? I didn't think PS3 could play FLAC.

The PS3 is very under-rated as a media server. For the price they are now, they're amazing.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I really don't fully understand this whole subject, but it's picking up Logitech Media Server on the NAS and from a quick sample seems to be able to play all my FLAC files.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
It will be transcoding to MP3. The PS3 doesn't support FLAC natively.

Works a treat though, although I always found the menu a letdown for large collections.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I believe that ps3 has a lot of potential for Sony to expand it's use and the users experience. The biggest weaknesses off ps3 to me are the users interfaces of all these functions. They could developed good apps for all these functions and become a true leader. Never understood why they never developed good aplicatios and sold them in the store. They have a whole world here to explore.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If have some linux knowledge I'd recommend downloading PS3 MediaServer and installing it on your NAS. It can transcode FLAC to LPCM keeping the lossless quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts