PS3 3D compatibility?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Anyone know whether or not the PS3's 3D firmware upgrade will make the PS3 compatible with both polarised- & shutter-type 3D TVs?

Also, will there be a 3D firmware upgrade for the Sony STRDH800, or will my 9-month-old AV amp be 'redundant'?

Ta.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
The PS3 should be compatible with any 3D TV. It will output the L/R images as sequential frames and the TV then processes it into its own display format. All 3D TVs are supposed to be compatible with any of the different types of 3D signal and transcode it into what they display on the fly.

Your AVR will very likely not be seeing a FW update to make it compatible. Manufacturers are feeding a line that the HDMI hardware on the AVRs will need to be upgraded to work with 3D so this is either technically the case or a stance they are not likely to back down from in the constant push to get us to re-buy equipment every 6 months no matter what the expense.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Tom Moreno:Manufacturers ... not likely to back down from in the constant push to get us to re-buy equipment every 6 months no matter what the expense.
Thanks for reply.

I feared as much re lack of 3D upgrade for my Sony AV amp. (Adds Sony to 'Hate List - Will Never Buy Again', along with Cambridge, Microsoft, Ikea, BMW, Comet, Samsung etc, etc!)

One day, an AV manufacturer will offer true upgrade facilities, thus giving its products a decent shelf-life & in one fell swoop, also confound all of its rivals &, in turn, gain much favour & custom from us punters who are hacked-off with buying a product & then finding that it's 'redundant' 6 months later.

Surely, there are also re-cyling issues? And before some wit makes the suggestion - no, eBay is not a solution.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:One day, an AV manufacturer will offer true upgrade facilities, thus giving its products a decent shelf-life & in one fell swoop, also confound all of its rivals &, in turn, gain much favour & custom from us punters who are hacked-off with buying a product & then finding that it's 'redundant' 6 months later.

One apparently has...

http://nadelectronics.com/audio-topics/NAD-With-MDC

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Ta-dah! Let's hope that MDC filters down to more affordable products.
You can always hope, but on one foot I shall not stand waiting.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

At least SKY HD box appears to be 3D compatible , due transmission in April

Obviously you need a 3D TV but the format they use must be compatable to whats is becoming available

Not a supporter of SKY but the do seem to adopt new technology early so a plus point fot them surley

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
lesmor:...Not a supporter of SKY but the do seem to adopt new technology early so a plus point fot them surley
I guess Sky needs some sort of gimmick to draw in punters, because IMHO if you discount Lost, House, the new Stargate spin-off & the odd nugget on Arts, there's poke all to watch if you're not into kick-ball & prefer to watch films via BD or DVD.

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:lesmor:...Not a supporter of SKY but the do seem to adopt new technology early so a plus point fot them surely I guess Sky needs some sort of gimmick to draw in punters, because IMHO if you discount Lost, House, the new Stargate spin-off & the odd nugget on Arts, there's poke all to watch if you're not into kick-ball & prefer to watch films via BD or DVD.

Well you could argue that the whole industry / TV Manufacturers seems to need a gimmick and is hell bent on thrusting it upon us , even though personally I don't think it will become mainstream.

But what do I know they are the ones who must have carried out the market research and found the support.

I think 3D is great for the odd movie , usually animation , in a cinema for the family but not for daily consumption at home

A bit like having a Home cinema with a projector , it just doesn't work for watching leisure TV

A

Anonymous

And now there's 4K TV to start pulling at our purse strings once we've all bought into 3D.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Heard somewhere that Panasonic are adding 2 HDMI outs to its new range of 3D Blu-Ray players so that they can be used with older amps. 1 output for sound and 1 for picture direct to TV. Not sure if other manufacturers are planning this.

Sounds much more like thoughtful design doesn't it.You also get direct picture to screen no pass through.

Definetly the route i wish to take for my new Sony STR-DN1000.

That is: If i decide to buy a 3D tv, and if i decide to buy multiple pairs of glasses and if i wish to watch very little,urm.....save again,then 2K4K, then 2K4K3D......

Crikey country isn't even 500 lines digital yet!!! Serves us all right for being innovators.

Best Wishes,

Cookie Monster

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
slewis:Hi cookie monster, i've checked panasonics website & as far as i can tell it's only the DMP-BDT300 that has two HDMI sockets.

Yes, but only the BDT300 is the only model that supports 3D so the other models don't require a second output.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
panasonic has pricves much lower than sony on Blu-ray players.even with the bdt3000 being the only Panasonic model with 2 hdmi outs...guess what player people are going to buy?others may just follow the example or else...no sale!

TRENDING THREADS