Projector screen size: do you see a white border if image is reduced?

deansplit

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
If I buy a screen which is too large, if I reduce the image, do you notice the excess white border around the edge of it? Or am I better getting the ultimate screen size to start with (although this is not black and white answer as it's really personal preference do you sit at the front or back of the cinema!)?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello mate

Yes you will notice the white screen edge - this will have the effect of making the blacks look more grey.

This is not just screen size related its also the case if you watch 2.35 content on a 16:9 screen or vise versa.

There are ways round it - using masking systems - these can be diy - if you want motorised masking be prepared to pay for it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A good idea is to buy a load of cheap material from ebay - white cotton of sorts make a temp screen in your room somehow dopesnt have to be pretty.

Then get your image size your happy with and buy that size - you can go too big depending on how far away you sit - it will give you eyestrain

Remember a 2.35 screen is wider anyway and when you reduce the image to 16:9 for certain content it gets smaller, so the bigger 2.35 screen is often preferred.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts