Project rpm5 carbon/Ortofon quintet black/Project tube box ds

Not sure if you're buying as a package, but if so you should save quite a bit.

You may have seen my recent "Ortofon Tour" thread, though I didn't hear the Quintet Black. You are in worthwhile MC territory so I hope you're happy with the rest of the system. Have you heard the system altogether?

iceman16

nopiano said:
Not sure if you're buying as a package, but if so you should save quite a bit.

You may have seen my recent "Ortofon Tour" thread, though I didn't hear the Quintet Black. You are in worthwhile MC territory so I hope you're happy with the rest of the system. Have you heard the system altogether?

Hi NP, Yep Im buying it as a package. I have'nt heard it altogether but its just the dealer recommend the Quintet black and Project tube box ds phono stage. Im still waiting for an email for the discounted price he promised for both cartridge and phono stage.

I had a quick listen to the Rpm5 carbon but with different cart and other components (can't remember) and Im impressed. I really like the thick acrylic platter.

iceman16

nopiano said:
Had forgotten the rest of your system. It should be great!

Was simply wondering about the Quintet Bronze (to save a few quid!), or how much different/better a Cadenza Red might be (for not too much more).

I was told that the Quintet black has a better stylus (nude Shibata diamond) compared to bronze with (fine line diamond) stylus though Im not sure if it really makes a difference or improvement to the sound.

iceman16 said:
nopiano said:

Was simply wondering about the Quintet Bronze (to save a few quid!), or how much different/better a Cadenza Red might be (for not too much more).

I was told that the Quintet black has a better stylus (nude Shibata diamond) compared to bronze with (fine line diamond) stylus though Im not sure if it really makes a difference or improvement to the sound.
The Shibata has always had a great reputation. It's more like the cutting head that any other stylus design. So, iirc that means you probably get the most detail off the record you can, but the snag can be if they aren't in great condition they might be more susceptible to picking up noise (and crud).

Interestingly, the Ortofon tour folk used a vacuum record cleaner and there literally was not one pop in two hours! Impressed!

nopiano said:
iceman16 said:
nopiano said:

The Shibata has always had a great reputation. It's more like the cutting head that any other stylus design. So, iirc that means you probably get the most detail off the record you can, but the snag can be if they aren't in great condition they might be more susceptible to picking up noise (and crud).

Interestingly, the Ortofon tour folk used a vacuum record cleaner and there literally was not one pop in two hours! Impressed!

+1 on your summation of the Shibata stylus.

It would be interesting to see what they are going to charge for the phono stage.

iceman16

I have placed the order for this package and should be with me early next week.

Project rpm5 carbon (black) - £949

Ortofon quintet black - £425 (£649)

Project tube box ds - £369 (£399)

I just need to get the dust cover which cost around £90 and all is set. Im glad I've kept some accessories in the garage (stylus force gauge/Knosti cleaner/record brush/spirit level/origin live platter mat/sds isofeet).

iceman16

Al ears said:
Looks good to me. About the only change I might consider is the phono stage. I'd replace it with an Arcam rphono, but that's splitting hairs really... enjoy!

Cheers Al, I have'nt heard the Pro-ject tube box ds so its too early for me to decide on that. Btw one of the best phono preamp I've heard was the Tom Evans groove and I would like to own one when funds allows.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Al ears said:
Looks good to me. About the only change I might consider is the phono stage. I'd replace it with an Arcam rphono, but that's splitting hairs really... enjoy!

Cheers Al, I have'nt heard the Pro-ject tube box ds so its too early for me to decide on that. Btw one of the best phono preamp I've heard was the Tom Evans groove and I would like to own one when funds allows.

I'd like an EAR Yoshino....but I don't have a TT. *scratch_one-s_head*

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Al ears said:

Nice just to look at though.

I'd like an EAR Yoshino....but I don't have a TT. *scratch_one-s_head*

iceman16 said:
Al ears said:

A fine choice Sir, I have the Groove 20th Anniversary model.

iceman16

Turntable package finally arrived. Setting up is straight forward and the only thing that took me some time is finding the screw hole to fit the anti skating rod. The unit itself is really well made and feels solid. Set up the cartridge using the supplied protractor and force gauge.

Pro-ject recommends not using a platter mat (a felt mat supplied) when using the tt. Next the phono stage set up. Using the dip switch is straight forward following instruction(depends on cartridge).

The tt is sat up on top of my existing rack(like hifi racks podium) then the 3 adjustable feet including motor on top of 4 isofeet by SoundDampSteel to reduce vibration.

First impression, Wow! I can really feel the emotion coming from the music. It sounds warm (don't confuse with dull) with absolutely amazing detail retrieval. Vocals is spot on and the treble is sweet as it should from a vinyl without being analytical,cold,edgy or glassy. Bass is tight, deep and punchy. Now I can hear the difference bet. cd and vinyl. Instrument separation, soundstage and holographic sound Im hearing is impressive. Piano sounds like its in front of me resonating.

I used to own a Michell gyro-se with Technoarm, Denon 103r and Trichord dino with psu (for 4 yrs). For me this new package beats the former hands down. Imo the Gyro-se is a very good tt but its on the analytical and cd like sound IMO.

It's still on run-in time so Im hoping after a few more days it will sound even better. Well Im a happy bunny of course*dance4*

iceman16

nopiano said:
Congratulations on your decision, and I'm thrilled you are loving it. There's nothing worse than feeling slightly uncertain or even disappointed but clearly you aren't.

Happy listening!

Cheers NP.. I really like its look aswell esp. the carbon fiber top.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts