Problems with setting static IP address

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm trying to create a static IP address for my iMac running OSX 10.6 to connect to my free router from my ISP (Thomson-Alcatel TG585v8) so that I can then portforward to try to access Bonjour via wifi (so iTunes can see my Synology NAS). I followed all the instructions on this website (suggested by my ISP) http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm which are very straightforward but when I then try to log into the internet I get a message saying I'm not connected. Running network diagnostics doesn't help and as soon as I revert back to DHCP my internet connection reappears. I spoke to the technical support of my ISP but they confirmed I was not dropping my broadband connection when trying to use the static IP. I tried around 10 static IP addresses but none of them worked.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is it because I am using an Airport Express (802.11g) to create the wireless network rather than the router itself?

If I can't get this fixed then I will have to resort to a homeplug to effectively connect my iMac to the router so iTunes then 'talks' to the NAS. Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced homeplugs that work well (sub £100).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I think you'll have to tell the Router you want a static IP address, rather than just setting one on your Mac. Depending on the router you can possibly still use DHCP, you just tell the router you want the same address for that device (ie your Mac). So your Mac will still use DHCP to request an address, it'll just be given the same address every time, rather than a random one. What you're doing at the moment is forcing your Mac onto a different address from the one that your Router has assigned to it, which is why you're dropping your internet connection (you're not actually connected to the Router).

Incidentally, I don't know what Bonjour is but are you attempting to access your iTunes from outside your network (ie from an external device via your Broadband connection)? In that case it's possibly your external internet IP address that needs to be static, not the one on your Mac. That'll depend on your ISP, some give them (mine does) but most don't, generally speaking.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks The_LHC.

I will need to try to figure out how to ask the router to do this - might just be easier to get those homeplugs!!

There was an option in Network configurations in OSX which from memory said something like "DHCP with manual address", but I suspect that is something different.

I'm not trying to get access outside of home - just having problems with iTunes recognising my NAS wirelessly...it will do if imac also connected to the router by ethernet.

Much obliged

Chisy

ps - Not sure how I managed to put a pair of sunglasses on my first post either, certainly not deliberate :doh: !

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
Thanks The_LHC.

I will need to try to figure out how to ask the router to do this - might just be easier to get those homeplugs!!

I'm not sure what that will achieve, it'll just connect you to the router by a wired connection, rather than wireless, it won't cause you to have a static IP address.

I'm not trying to get access outside of home - just having problems with iTunes recognising my NAS wirelessly...it will do if imac also connected to the router by ethernet.

It's not a Speedtouch/Thompson router is it?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
*With port forwarding - if you use the devices network name rather than its ipaddress you dont need static ips.

However if you want static ips....

When your routers internet connection is working - on its config page make a note of subnet mask ( probably 255.255.255.0 ) and the DNS Gateway.

Turn off DHCP on the router.

Manually add the ip address of the router eg ( 192.168.0.1 ), the subnetmask, and the DNS Gateway from before. Save.

Then you can enter static ip addresses for each of your devices on your network - making sure each one is unique. For each device on the network the default gateway is the ip address of the router. subnet mask as above.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
A static IP is pretty easy to configure but you need to make sure that you know the IP address of the router - this is used in both the default gateway and DNS settings on the computer to enable Internet access.

Apparently the default IP of your router is 192.168.1.254 and most likely has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. So you'll need to configure your computer something like this:

IP address: 192.168.1.10

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS server: 192.168.1.254

If not using dynamic DNS over the Internet you can then set up a port forward from the WAN port of your router to the IP address configured on the computer (as above). If you open a terminal window once you have entered the configuration above you should be able to type 'ping 192.168.1.254' to check you can 'see' the router and then 'ping www.google.com' to check you have DNS and a connection to the Internet.

No need to turn off DHCP on anything.

Hope this helps

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Chisy1 said:
Thanks The_LHC.

I'm not sure what that will achieve, it'll just connect you to the router by a wired connection, rather than wireless, it won't cause you to have a static IP address.

The problem with iTunes not listing my NAS as a shared device only happens when when the mac is connecting to my home network wirelessly, when it's connected with a wire the NAS is being listed as a shared device. It is something to do with "Bonjour" not being broadcast over wifi by my router (or something) and the only way to resolve that is to open the ports for which I need a static IP!

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Streamer said:
A static IP is pretty easy to configure but you need to make sure that you know the IP address of the router - this is used in both the default gateway and DNS settings on the computer to enable Internet access.

Apparently the default IP of your router is 192.168.1.254 and most likely has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. So you'll need to configure your computer something like this:

IP address: 192.168.1.10

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS server: 192.168.1.254

If not using dynamic DNS over the Internet you can then set up a port forward from the WAN port of your router to the IP address configured on the computer (as above). If you open a terminal window once you have entered the configuration above you should be able to type 'ping 192.168.1.254' to check you can 'see' the router and then 'ping www.google.com' to check you have DNS and a connection to the Internet.

No need to turn off DHCP on anything.

Hope this helps

Thanks, I did this and it didnt work. Although the only thing different from your note is that my ISP provided two DNS numbers which were completely different to the router IP address. In fact they asked me to try two sets of DNS numbers and neither worked. Shall try the 192.168.1.254 and see what happens

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
The_Lhc said:

The problem with iTunes not listing my NAS as a shared device only happens when when the mac is connecting to my home network wirelessly, when it's connected with a wire the NAS is being listed as a shared device. It is something to do with "Bonjour" not being broadcast over wifi by my router (or something)

Yes that's why I asked what the router is as mine does exactly the same thing (I don't use iTunes or a Mac, my PC can't browse the NAS if I'm connected wirelessly).

and the only way to resolve that is to open the ports for which I need a static IP!

Who told you that?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
Thanks, I did this and it didnt work. Although the only thing different from your note is that my ISP provided two DNS numbers which were completely different to the router IP address. In fact they asked me to try two sets of DNS numbers and neither worked. Shall try the 192.168.1.254 and see what happens

Those are your ISPs external DNS servers, if you've got no connection to your router you'll never be able to use them (because they're on the "other" side of your internet connection).

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
*With port forwarding - if you use the devices network name rather than its ipaddress you dont need static ips.

When your routers internet connection is working - on its config page make a note of subnet mask ( probably 255.255.255.0 ) and the DNS Gateway.

Manually add the ip address of the router eg ( 192.168.0.1 ), the subnetmask, and the DNS Gateway from before. Save.

Then you can enter static ip addresses for each of your devices on your network - making sure each one is unique. For each device on the network the default gateway is the ip address of the router. subnet mask as above.

I don't follow "*With port forwarding - if you use the devices network name rather than its ip address you dont need static ips." but this is all getting rather complicated.

The worrying point I've picked up on is that if I turn off DHCP on my router then every device (about 5 of them!) which connect to the internet will all need static IP addresses set up - heart sinks as I end up like :help:

And if a friend pops around and wants to connect to my wifi I'll have to configure a static IP address for them. This might cause more problems than it solves.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Chisy1 said:

Those are your ISPs external DNS servers, if you've got no connection to your router you'll never be able to use them (because they're on the "other" side of your internet connection).

Okay, that makes sense. Sorting out home networks is what Friday nights are for...aren't they?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
AnotherJoe said:

I don't follow "*With port forwarding - if you use the devices network name rather than its ip address you dont need static ips." but this is all getting rather complicated.

The worrying point I've picked up on is that if I turn off DHCP on my router then every device (about 5 of them!) which connect to the internet will all need static IP addresses set up - heart sinks as I end up like :help:

And if a friend pops around and wants to connect to my wifi I'll have to configure a static IP address for them. This might cause more problems than it solves.

That's why I don't think you need to do it. On my router (which is ancient rubbish, frankly), you can see all the connected devices, choose a device and tell the router to fix the IP address for that device, so that, although DHCP is still active (so everything else carries on working fine), those devices you "fix" will always keep the same IP address. That's all you need to do, assuming your router supports that, and I'd be surprised if it didn't. It's probably worth "fixing" the IP address of the NAS as well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
The_Lhc said:
Chisy1 said:

Okay, that makes sense. Sorting out home networks is what Friday nights are for...aren't they?

Funnily enough tonight I'll be attempting to use a Netgear DGN2000 to extend my wireless network along my house, I just don't know if it'll support that!

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
[
and the only way to resolve that is to open the ports for which I need a static IP!

Who told you that?

[/quote]

What I meant to say was that if I open the correct ports on my router that will correct the NAS not being recognised in iTunes and in order for that fix to be permanent the computer has to have a static IP...the first few paragraphs of this page http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v8/iChat.htm

My router is the Thomson-Alcatel TG585v8

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
The LHC is correct - your ISP DNS servers will be used by your router using the Internet port whereas your computer will need to use the router as it's 'internal' DNS server.

Bonjour uses a protocol called MDNS (Multicast DNS) to discover devices and some wireless routers may either filter/block or just not understand MDNS, thus stopping iTunes from seeing the NAS. It is probably worth you looking on the router itself (enter https://192.168.1.254 in your browser, you might need to Google the username and password) and see if multicast can be enabled anywhere within the settings.

This page might help with manuals etc: http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161

Port forwarding would be used if you wanted to access a device in your home from another place (like your office) - it can't be applied on the LAN in your case.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
By the way, I literally have just helped a customer using an iPad to use Airprint which also uses Bonjour/MDNS) and enabling multicast fixed it immediately.......I do this for a living!

There is no need to worry about static IPs for your computers (stick with DHCP) but for the NAS/Printer etc use a static IP so that there is no chance of it changing after the DHCP lease runs out...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:

Who told you that?

What I meant to say was that if I open the correct ports on my router that will correct the NAS not being recognised in iTunes

Yes, I understood that but who told you that?

My router is the Thomson-Alcatel TG585v8

Bingo, exactly the same router as I've got, just mine's older, so you can fix your IP addresses without turning off DHCP.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Streamer said:
By the way, I literally have just helped a customer using an iPad to use Airprint which also uses Bonjour/MDNS) and enabling multicast fixed it immediately.......I do this for a living!

There is no need to worry about static IPs for your computers (stick with DHCP) but for the NAS/Printer etc use a static IP so that there is no chance of it changing after the DHCP lease runs out...

Much obliged, I will tinker this evening whilst Mrs Chisy watches a cookery programme

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Streamer said:
Bonjour uses a protocol called MDNS (Multicast DNS) to discover devices and some wireless routers may either filter/block or just not understand MDNS, thus stopping iTunes from seeing the NAS. It is probably worth you looking on the router itself (enter https://192.168.1.254 in your browser, you might need to Google the username and password) and see if multicast can be enabled anywhere within the settings.

I don't recall seeing multicast mentioned anywhere my 585s settings, I don't know if the later versions do though.

Can't see anything in the setup guide that mentions multi-cast, although it is mentioned in a number of those other guides.

Would be good if I can finally get my NAS usable from a Wireless client.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
The_Lhc said:
Yes, I understood that but who told you that?

sorry, been trying to do more than one thing at once...must stop trying to do that - see the last 3 or 4 posts on here - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/synology-and-setting-up-media-content?page=1

Ah, I see, not convinced about that myself personally, it seems to be a more fundamental issue with the Thomson devices regarding access between wireless and wired devices. I'm only using standard CIFS/SMB protocol to get to my NAS but it doesn't work if the PC is on wireless.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
This page identifies the port numbers used by Airplay/Bonjour: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1810880 (about halfway down - don't confuse this with port forwarding!!!)

IF the Thomson is filtering multicast traffic wirelessly and also blocking these ports on the page above that would explain why you can't see your NAS. Maybe the latest firmware for these routers might help? There also looks to be some command line stuff relating to multicast which may be worth a try.

Failing all of that, it maybe time for a new router....I have no problems with the new Netgear I got sent by my provider.

Good luck!

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Router home page > Wireless > Configure.
There are two tick boxes - one labeled Interface Enabled and the other Allow multicast from broadband network.

Ports are:

3689 TCP - Itunes Sharing,Airplay

5297-5298 TCP/UDP - Bonjour

5353 UDP - Bonjour multicast DNS

9997- 9999 UDP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts