Problems with Panasonic LXD85

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After months of deliberation and monitoring the What HiFi forums, I decided that my flat panel TV purchase would be the 37 inch Panasonic LXD85. I reckoned that with 100 Mhz, that it would deliver superior Freeview and other SD viewing. It also seemed that an HD Ready panel was all I needed (it seems that many of you in here aren't convinced that a Full HD panel at this size is going to make much difference). I have been rewarded with an excellent, sharp picture that handles fast motion really well. The high definition performance is good, especially when viewed with a Blu-ray player (even standard DVD's look excellent when upscaled). Friends and neighbours have seen this set and have commented that the picture is truly excellent. One or two have even gone so far to say that it's time to update their own kit as a result. Praise indeed for what is actually a mid-range telly from the Panasonic range.

However, there is a problem. When the TV is first switched on in Freeview mode the picture pixelates and the sound distorts. This is not an aerial problem as I have a new high gain aerial (fitted by a CAI installer) and live in a medium to strong signal area. Other digital TVs have worked on this aerial with no problem whatsoever including another Panasonic. My PVR takes the same feed and it says the signal is 'excellent'. What is really strange is that after about 15 minutes the problem on the TV fades away and the reception is perfect. It seems that the set doesn't drive too well when cold.

I queried this on the Panasonic Consumer helpline this week and was met with astonishment. In fact, I was told that I may be to blame because I had transported the TV in the back of my car, boxed but flat (not upright). Hmm. As it's impossible to transport most TVs upright when boxed in most family cars, I assume that most people who buy today and take home today will be doing what I did. Ironically, the TV was placed in the back of car by the staff of my helpful retailer! The drive home was along perfectly smooth A roads and I am a careful driver (especially with a prize piece of kit in the back!).

Would transporting an LCD in the back of a car (boxed but flat) cause any major problems? If so, why don't the manufacturers provide a vivid warning on the packaging? Secondly, anybody got any idea why a TV so technically superior in many respects needs to warm up for the digital tuner to perform correctly?

A

Anonymous

Don't have this prob with my 37PX80 but being plasma I wouldn't. Mind you I stood mine up, in the box, on the back seat of my Astra. Lying your tv down is really not a good idea but I thought it was more a plasma prob than a LCD. The team'll have to advise youI 'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

I know with plasma sets it's important to transport them vertically but I didn't think it was an issue with LCD
emotion-42.gif
Presumably if you were to switch to another source like DVD at the time of the problem it would be fine?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. There is no problem with other sources when the TV is switched on. For instance, the PVR which gets the same ariel feed is perfectly ok. It's only the set's own digital tuner that struggles. It is a problem I could live with as I can always use the PVR source, however when you pays your money it's not too much to expect the TV to work properly.

I'm unconvinced by the argument that transporting the set flat (complete with polystyrene packaging in box) is the cause of the problem...

daveh75

would have thought if the problem was down to transporting it laid flat then it would have the problem on all sources not just the internal tuner.

i'd double check all the connections make sure none are loose, if tat makes no difference then try the aerial directly into tv without pvr connected and see what happens, if none of that makes any difference i'd start to suspect the tuner

A

Anonymous

The problem with the tuner is a recent thing or has it happened since you got it back from the store? To be honest it sounds like Panasonic were trying to worm their way out of doing anything and hoped you'd go away accepting it was your fault. Might be the tuner needs replacing so I'd get on the phone to them again.

A

Anonymous

Hi Visto, I bought the 32 inch Panasonic LXD85 so I guess its very similar to your model.

Unfortunately it has exactly the same problem that you are describing, it needs to warm up before the picture and sound settle, the picture pixelates and the sound breaks-up for the first 10-15 minutes. I returned the first one to the shop as I believed it was faulty but the second one that I have now is exactly the same.

I have a High Gain Wideband outdoor aerial and the TV reports 100% signal strength with 100% signal quality. I have an LG 22" set that operates happily on the same aerial with no problems and my Humax PVR has no problem with the signal either.

It just seems to be a problem with the digital tuner needing to warm up (I thought warming up went out with valves years ago, perhaps it's a retro feature). If switched to the analogue tuner or fed freeview from my Humax PVR the picture and sound are fine from cold.

Both this and the first set were transported upright on the rear seat of my car with good restraint to stop them getting damaged, so I think Panasonic are just looking for excuses personally.

I've tried plugging the aerial in directly into the set without the PVR and have tried an aerial booster but nothing seems to make any difference, if you come up with a solution I'd be glad to hear it. I have emailed Panasonic but so far have had no reply.

I like the set it has a good picture for an LCD, good contrast, bright colours, sharp picture when the source material is good. It's just a shame about this annoying fault.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
This seems very odd - and certainly not an issue we've experienced with the Panasonic sets. I'll put it to Panasonic's technical team and see if they've an answer.

A

Anonymous

This is a known problem at Panasonic with a few early examples of 32" and 37" LXD85 sets.

It can be resolved by the upgrading of a handful of components on one of the PCB's which can be carried out at some of their local service centres.

If you have an affected set, a quick call to your retailer should set the necessary wheels in motion and resolve the issue.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that alsina, I have just rung Panasonic about this, but they either don't seem to be aware of the problem or are not willing to talk to me about it.

I think I will just have to take the set back again for another exchange as they don't appear to be able to offer me a quick fix for this one. Shame as it would save them a lot of money if they just sent an engineer round to fix this one.

A

Anonymous

The necessary parts are not normally replaceable on-site, it's a fiddly job. Swapping the set may also not solve the problem if the retailer still has the same 'old' stock as they are likely to all be affected.

Panasonic customer service will likely be unaware of the problem, their technical department on the other hand will be a different matter.

This has all been proven by a friend of mine who has been down this road already and come out the other side with a stunning (fault-free) tv, with a little help from his excellent local retailer.

A

Anonymous

I have just spoken to the retailer but unforunately they don't do repairs within the first 28 days and will only replace the set again.
However they are going to order another set in for me from the warehouse rather than give me local stock again in the hope that it will be a later batch and hopefully be fault free.

As you say it's a stunning TV once it has warmed up and the problem has cleared and after all the trouble of selecting the model I wanted I'm reluctant to go for anything diferent at this stage.

Any news from Clare Newsome (Editor-in-Chief) who was going to contact Panasonic about this?

A

Anonymous

The retailer sounds like they're being particularly helpful. May I ask who is giving such good service?

Keep a record of the serial nos. as if the next swap doesn't work, presumably you get into repair territory (more than 28 days) and things could get trickier. From what I understand, sets after a certain serial no. have been modded at the factory.

A

Anonymous

I purchased the set from John Lewis, not necessarily the cheapest retailer on the face of it but they gave me a price match with another local retailer and also give a 5 year grantee with all their TVs, so quite a good deal. Their customer services are very good which is one of the reasons that I went to them in the first place.
I don't suppose you have and details of the modification out of interest.

A

Anonymous

John Lewis are a good bet, especially on a price match, however they do not do any repairs themselves so going down the repair route could potentially leave you without a tv for weeks at a time, so best avoided.

I don't know the details of the mod, but I'll speak to my friend and find out if he still has the details. His set was modded and I saw the 'before and after' so I know it works. His retailer also does repairs, so luckily it was picked up in the morning, repaired then returned that evening.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Here you go with Panasonic's response:

"We have had a small number of
cases reported to us from customers with similar symptoms. Customers
should refer to their original retailer, whose appointed service agent
or directly from the panasonic website for their nearest agent who should
be able to resolve the issue or advise of a way to correct the issue."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts