Problems with Onkyo TX-NR609

riggers27

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Having read the good reviews on the Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver in What HiFi I purchased the unit. For 2 years I was pleased with it until just before Christmas when there was suddenly no sound (from any source); the setup/connections were unchanged. The video/HDMI though was OK. The Network and Firmware update was greyed out. I tried resetting but no joy. I am suspicious that this occurred just 1 month outside the 2 year warrantee; the same fault and time-period reported by many others (mainly in USA forums). This seems to be a fundamental flaw in the TX-NR609 design. I have reported the fault to Onkyo but to date have had no joy.

Has anyone else had the same problems with this receiver? How were they resolved? Certainly, if Onkyo do not replace or repair the unit FOC, they won't be getting any more of my business.

Tricky-Ricky

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine died just before Christmas with classic HDMI board problems, i initially contacted Onkyo EU and got a ticket number, but i think due to the holiday they took there time getting beck to me, so i posted on the Onkyo face-book page, there are a lot of problem reports there,

Anyway once they did get back to me they offered a free repair, i just had to pay carriage, however i then found that i had taken out an extended warranty with Richer Sounds, so its gone back to them for repair.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have an Onyo 905 and had my HDMI board replaced and its been perfect since and I am delighted with it! Onkyo are one of the biggest manufacturers of AV receivers and even a few have a fault it the internet can make it look worse than it is as satisfied customers don't often speak up. Onkyo used Genserve when mine was repaired and they updated the softwear as well.

Best Wishes

Chris

Tricky-Ricky

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
How can the Internet make the problems look worse? people merely report the problems they have, and i don't think they do it for fun, the shear numbers speak for themselves, you have just admitted that your receiver has already been repaired once, that coupled with all the others don't exactly inspire confidence in the brand.

I am justifiably annoyed that i have to have my receiver repaired after just 2 years, i know we live in a throw away society, but i do expect a product that i paid £450 for to last longer than that, the fact that there has been no official response from Onkyo regarding the volume of receiver failure's is also very worrying, refusing to acknowledge a problem is not going to win them new customers.

I dare say that they may well take the amount of failure's and say its a reasonable amount when compared against global sales, and obviously that all products, so it wont seem so great, but this seems to be just the AV receiver side of things and i certainly think its a cause for concern.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
People only hit the internet when they want to moan about something, that's how. Occasionally you'll get some posting compliments, but it's rare.

As for having issues with an amp of that age, it all boils down to luck. You say you expect a £450 amp to last longer than that, and rightly so, but you could've spent £10000 on a new car that could have also had issues after two years.

I had my Onkyo 905 (which I bought direct through Onkyo as a refurbished model, which means it was bought new and was DOA, so it got returned, repaired and resold) for 6 years without any problems before I sold it off.

Statistically, I would say given the number of units Onkyo actually sell, the fault rate would still be rather low.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am delighted with Onkyo because I had good service and its worked perfectly since and my 905 is a lot older than your 609. I have 3 HiFis my Nytech Rega Planar 3 system dates from 1979 - 80, my parent's Hifi which a helped chose is Rotel receiver Garrard 86SB turntable and Rank speakers mid 70s i also have an Arcam system with a Techincs CD player mid 80s. All work and give me endless pleasure. My worst experinces were with Olympus who refused to repair a 2 month old SLR and a brand new Citroen BX19GTi which the abs did not work it turned out the circuit board had not been installed and they had fly the part in so it could be installled! I now drive a honda made in Swindon.

I worked for multi national manufacturers for 20 years in Contract sales and airportrs, cruise liners, hotels, office blocks, universities, TV companies and theatres were the type of projects I dealt with. So I now something about TQM and British and European standards and testing procedures.

Why not speak to Onkyo and see if it can be repaired or go back to the shop where you bought it?

Best Wishes

Chris

Boghopper

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi riggers27

Sadley mine did the same thing last Thursady it was purchased on the 21/01/2012, going to get it repaired stick it on ebay and get the Sony STRDN1040. has your been repaired and what was the cost?

Crafter609

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
This morning had the same problem with my TX-NR609, just no sound AND network, worked fine yesterday... Have had problems with network before, playing music from NAS suddenly stopped and lost all connections with my home network. Also remote via Galaxy Tab lost connection after several songs... Today did a firmware update by USB, works like a charm right now! Was planning to get it fixed but this seems to be the trick for my 609...
Regards, Nick

scouse1971

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
well, mine has just got kapputt too - exactly like described above. emailed onkyo and they have arranged a free fix including carriage. the unit is 3 years old..its gone to genserve to get fixed.

im sure they have found they had a load of dodgy hdmi boards and fully accept the issue

thye are being a bot stroppy about the purchase, mine was from a seller on ebay so i can not technically prove it was bought in this country but i pointed out that it had a big reserved sticker on the side from richer sounds which is where the seller bought it from and so they dropped the issue so far.

i guess sometimes technology fails, least they are doign their best to rectofy the issue

T

the record spot

No issues with the two Onkyo amps I've had. The TX8050 and the TX-NR818 both saw lengthy use each day. At least six hours and nary a hitch. Agreed, they sell huge numbers so a couple of hundred or however many more or less it is distorts the picture. People will talk up more when they have a complaint.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My 6+ y.o 875 is still going strong. I did have an issue with the display going faulty within 12 months of purchase, but it was fixed quickly at no cost by Genserve.

As others have said, people always complain when something goes wrong, they rarely shout about how well something is working.

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
About 2 months ago i plugged my 609 back in after it being in storage for about a year. Worked fine for two weeks and then the sound pass through to TV failed.... Updated firmware, fixed. Another week later, happened ago. Did a factory reset and still no sound, but no network, no firmware update options either. Was going to junk it as thought the cost of repair probably not worth it, but decided to call Babber in Hanwell. Theyre one of two approved service dealers according to onkyo uk website. Shocked to receive email saying they offer a good will repair for the Onkyo. Dropped the unit in today and they said that onkyo have admitted its a known fault and will fix that specific problem for free. Estimate about 2-3 weeks turnaround.

In the meantime my old Denon AVR 4306 is doing a sterling job as a temporary standin.

levi6104

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my 609. There is a goodwill fix from Onkyo for this. I bought this 609 in June 2011 and was ready to junk it and buy a new one. I just happened upon a post and foun that several people are having the same problem. I'm glad that Onkyo is fixing this issue and would buy another Onkyo product. I have talked to other people about Onkyo and from what I have heard they are the best mid priced recievers. Great job Onkyo and thanks.

RPoyourow

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Same problem with my NR609 purchased in January 2012. Called Onklyo this mornning )Oct. 29, 2015). The return and repair policy is still in effect. Onkyo will send out a carton for me to return for repairs. All expenses paid. Nice customer service.

I finaly found a fix for my Onkyo TX-609 no sound problem . I also had the problem with the receiver , worked fine for a while and the suddenly no sound . Tried to update firmware through USB but when I tried to conect de USB drive with the firmware , the USB port on the receiver stopped working and it freezed on USB Initialising step .
So the fix that worked for me : Dissasambled the receiver and took out the mainboard with the CPU and the other 2 BGA Chips . Made a reflow using Amtech soldering paste at the temperature of 400 degrees Celsius for about 30 seconds on every chip. I have been using it since then every day and the problem didn't came back .
Hope this works for u too . Sorry for my lousy grammar .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Onyo USA extended the warraties on receivers, including the 609, here until 2018 due to the very same problems. These are due to a Texas Instruments chip Onkyo used, I understand. I would call Onkyo UK and mention this to them, and see what they say.

You can also contact the retailer you bought the unit from and mention the Sale of Goods Act, which, I believe, in its current form, means that your electronics have to be "fit for puropose" (i.e. working) for up to seven years.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Darned spam filter is preventing me from posting the links, but go to avsforum_dot_com_slash_forums_slash_receivers-amps-processors and look for the sticky at the top of the page.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts