Probably a silly question...

Mat C

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I have a Rotel RA-11 hooked up to a Quad 405 via the pre-outs. The Quad is powering a pair of Monitor Audio BX5s.

This works incredibly well as a stereo set-up. I'm loving the sound. But I also use the Hi-Fi to provide sound for films and TV. The Quad has a huge 1970s transformer inside it that hums. This can be audible when watching TV.

What I want to know is:

Can I hook up the Rotel to the speakers as well? Could I then watch TV etc and not switch the Quad on? When I wanted to listen to music could I just turn on the Quad?

Am I going to blow something up?!?!?!

I should also point out that you can connect two sets of speakers to the Rotel so there is a speaker select switch.

Any advice gratefully receieved. I've been trying to puzle this out but my head hurts and I don't want to damage the set-up.

Thanks!

Mat C

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll just have to listen to the telly though the telly speaker then. It's only an issue when listening to low volume stuff.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Get a small cheap pair of speakers just for the TV.

Richers have nearly a dozen models under £100, depending on what size will fit. I would try the JBL Control 1.

Drive them off the Rotel, switching them on and of as needed. Your main stereo works as normal.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
DDC is on to something there.

Wharfedale 9.0's are available for around £50, or the bigger 9.1's at £100 from Superfi - both good budget speakers. These could be wired up to the 2nd set of speaker posts on your amp and switched on or off when you need to use them with the TV.

Mat C

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
So the hi-fi speakers would be on A speaker terminals and the TV speakers on B?

I could listen to the Quad via A set then turn off the Quad and listen to the TV through B set?

That would work for me.

Thanks Guys!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
No.

The switching on the RA11 only switches the speaker terminals. Connect the 'TV speakers to either A or B, switch them on and off as required.

Your main speakers are still connected to the Quad, which in turn is driven by the pre-out on the RA11. This is always 'on' whatever the setting of the speaker switch. You switch the Quad on and off as required to get your main speakers.

Play both sets of speakers if you like, perfectly safe though both speaker sets will be controled by the volume on the Rotel and one set will probably be louder than the other. No easy way to tell which will be louder or by how much, except by trying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts