ProAc Response D1 & D18 difference

Mats Johansson

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm a very happy owner of a pair of ProAc Response D1. However, lately I have been thinking of getting new stands, and from there I kind of started toying with the idea of getting floorstanders instead. Well you know, the urge to upgrade...

So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Response D18, and can tell me what the differences between the D1 and the D18 are? They seem to have pretty much the same tech, but I figure the D18 have deeper bass. Or are their characteristics more different than that?

It also seems that the D18 are less fussy about how you place them, with their ports being on the sides. The D1s need to be placed at a distance from the back wall, and that's never been ideal for me.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I used the older Response 1 SCs (the D1's predecessor) for 15 years before changing to the D18s. I found that in a small-to-medium sized room, there was very little to choose between them. If the D1 is anything like the SCs, then put them on decent heavy stands and you should have fabulous sound.

Incidentally, I drove both the SCs and D18s with a Naim pre-power setup but I found the D18s worked very well with Sugden amplification. Hope this helps. PS What amp are you using?

Mats Johansson

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Primare i30 which I'm very happy with. I think it compliments the D1s well.

My listening room is pretty small, maybe that's not ideal for D18s?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I have the Studio 140MK2 and my room is small-medium too , I was afraid that the speakers will be "boomy" and sound stage out of control but neither happened the bass is excatly as it should be and the soundstage deatiled and spacious .

the 140MK2 is more " aggressive" than the D18 so I don't see any probelm with D18 for your room .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts