Proac D1, Tablette and Harbeth P3SER

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

I'm looking to get some small standmounts for use with a Naim Supernait / Mac Mini in a smallish lounge, 4m x 4m.

I have tried Proac D2, but they were a little on the large side, physically and sonically. I listen to all most types of music, but tend to avoid rock, or anything too heavy. Saying that, I do like electronic music.

I am considering Proac D1, Tablette Anniversary and Harbeth P3SER. I am hoping to do a home demo of a couple of models and wondered your thoughts are on them? Which one would you recommedn the most? I heard the Harbeths once, albeit in a large showroom, but they did sound pretty impressive for a small speaker.

Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to prejudge what your preference will be...though the Proacs will give more bass, which could be better for lower level listening and with certain types of music.

Speakers from Neat are also a known match for Naim.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Have you any experience between the two Proacs?

Yes, I tried the neat 3i, but they were too big, like the D2. Perhaps a trial of the Neat Petite would be good. I did try the Neat Elite SX once, but wasn't so keen, so maybe they will have a similar sound.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You need someone who has heard them with your amp, so David from F.H. Hifi is your best bet....sorry I can't be of any help.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ProAc's newer models have a faster sound which seems to work better with more types of music, and I also feel that this newer sound lends itself better to electronic music too.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to state the bleeding obvious but small (all?) speakers are a compromise. I haven't heard the others you mention but the Harbeths can play anything with grace and drive. They are however ruthlessly revealing - this can be distracting if you're trying to concentrate on the music; bass is lovely but won't lift you out of your chair if out of your chair is where you want to be; and ease and clarity which are the hallmarks of this speaker suffer with busy productions. I bought them unseen and have never regretted it.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I tried the 3i but the had too much bass for my room. They did sound good though.

Will demo all three models in the post and post my thoughts. I heard that the D1 have a smoother sound to the Tablette, so will be interesting to hear how the D1 compare the the notoriously smooth Harbeth P3SER. I'm guessing the Harbeth will still have a more pronounced mid-range.

audiokid said:
Thanks, will hopefully get some more input. There must be many Proac and Harbeth users out there!

Might be worth checking out PMC DB1is. They certainly work well with Naim, more really whether the size is okay (if, also, the sonic signature suits your style of music).

Edit - perhaps the Spendor SA1 could be just the ticket.

audiokid said:
Hello!

I'm looking to get some small standmounts for use with a Naim Supernait / Mac Mini in a smallish lounge, 4m x 4m.

I have tried Proac D2, but they were a little on the large side, physically and sonically. I listen to all most types of music, but tend to avoid rock, or anything too heavy. Saying that, I do like electronic music.

I am considering Proac D1, Tablette Anniversary and Harbeth P3SER. I am hoping to do a home demo of a couple of models and wondered your thoughts are on them? Which one would you recommedn the most? I heard the Harbeths once, albeit in a large showroom, but they did sound pretty impressive for a small speaker.

Thanks.

Hi audiokid

What speakers are you currently using?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the new speakers?

With the Supernait/Mac Mini/new speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
audiokid said:
Hello!

Thanks.

Hi audiokid

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

With the Supernait/Mac Mini/new speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I had the Spendor A5, but they had too much bass and sounded very 'closed in' and lacked any clarity, although the mid-range was good.

The room is a 4x4m lounge, the speakers will be on stands and will positioned either side of a large, central window. They will be a metre from the side walls and ideally fairly close to the rear (brick) wall, but could pull them out by about 30cm.

Presentation-wise, I want the music it to be clear and open but well balanced. The sound has to be versatile for vintage jazz and folk through to electronica. A bit of warmth in the bass is nice, but not overpowering like the Spendor A5. I like to hear separation between each element in the track, rather than a 'cloudy' overpowering sound. Saying that, I like instruments to sound realistic and I believe this is what the Harbeths do well.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, I think I now what your talking about regards the Spendor sound being closed in, I'd describe it as being a thicker more homogenous presentation than most modern speakers, it tends to mask some of the finer treble detail. I'm still waiting on my Tablette's so I can't tell you about the sound and the Harbeth's I owned were the original P3, they were amazing little speakers. From memory they had more better treble and bass extension than my SA 1's, a bit livelier too.

Whoops DP :wall:

A

Anonymous

Hmm, I think I now what your talking about regards the Spendor sound being closed in, I'd describe it as being a thicker more homogenous presentation than most modern speakers, it tends to mask some of the finer treble detail kind . I'm still waiting on my Tablette's so I can't tell you about the sound and the Harbeth's I owned were the orignial P3, they were amazing little speakers. From memory they had more better treble and bass extension than my SA 1's, a bit livelier too. I heard some D1's recently and they were much brighter than i was expecting, very clean and detailed with excellent soundtstaging though.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Spectre said:
Hmm, I think I now what your talking about regards the Spendor sound being closed in, I'd describe it as being a thicker more homogenous presentation than most modern speakers, it tends to mask some of the finer treble detail. I'm still waiting on my Tablette's so I can't tell you about the sound and the Harbeth's I owned were the original P3, they were amazing little speakers. From memory they had more better treble and bass extension than my SA 1's, a bit livelier too.

Whoops DP :wall:

Great, looking forward to hearing how you get on with the Proac.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Audiokid - you and I both have SuperNaits in similar rooms. Small and square is not conducive to good sound unfortunately!

I have experience of Neat momentum 3i (what i have now), PMC TB2+ (now replaced with TB2i) and Acoustic Energy AE1 classics sounding good on the end of a SuperNait.

The AE1 Classics and the TB2+s were both a better match with my room as they didn't over-excite the room-modes as much as the Neats, but both sound shut-in compared to the Neats.

I have long been trying to tame the Neats' bottom end in my room and recently started to look into alternatives. Top of my audtion list based on my experiences and recommendations would be AE Reference 1, PMC twenty.22 and B&W PM1.

As it happens since I started to think about upgrading I have made some more tweaks and got my Neats working much better, so I'm going to stick with them for the time being. I think that Neats really work well with Naim, so if you found the 3i too big (by which I assume you mean bassy) then you could try one of Neats' smaller stand-mounts or a small floor-stander.

audiokid said:
MUSICRAFT said:
audiokid said:
Hello!

Thanks.

Hi audiokid

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I had the Spendor A5, but they had too much bass and sounded very 'closed in' and lacked any clarity, although the mid-range was good.

The room is a 4x4m lounge, the speakers will be on stands and will positioned either side of a large, central window. They will be a metre from the side walls and ideally fairly close to the rear (brick) wall, but could pull them out by about 30cm.

Presentation-wise, I want the music it to be clear and open but well balanced. The sound has to be versatile for vintage jazz and folk through to electronica. A bit of warmth in the bass is nice, but not overpowering like the Spendor A5. I like to hear separation between each element in the track, rather than a 'cloudy' overpowering sound. Saying that, I like instruments to sound realistic and I believe this is what the Harbeths do well.

Hi audiokid

Thanks for your reply.

In adition to Proac's Tablette Anniversary speakers i'll recommend that you also consider the new Acoustic Energy Reference 1's. Fwiw, one of the amplifiers which Acoustic Energy use to develop their speakers is the Naim SuperNait. If possible also try ATC's SCM11 monitors. The SCM11's will be easy to position in your room and you may also find the fairly warm presentation of the SuperNait to give just the right tonal balance with SCM11's in your room.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Spectre said:
Hmm, I think I now what your talking about regards the Spendor sound being closed in, I'd describe it as being a thicker more homogenous presentation than most modern speakers, it tends to mask some of the finer treble detail.

They do take a bit of adjusting too, especially after listening to a speaker that doesn't hold anything back. Initially, the old S5e's I heard almost sounded like the HF units weren't working, but getting up close to them proved they were. The newer A series isn't quite as laid back. It was only after hours of listening that I realised the detail was there, and that they didn't sound closed in, it was just that their tonal balance was on the smoother sidein comparison to most other brands.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Spectre said:
Hmm, I think I now what your talking about regards the Spendor sound being closed in, I'd describe it as being a thicker more homogenous presentation than most modern speakers, it tends to mask some of the finer treble detail.

They do take a bit of adjusting too, especially after listening to a speaker that doesn't hold anything back. Initially, the old S5e's I heard almost sounded like the HF units weren't working, but getting up close to them proved they were. The newer A series isn't quite as laid back. It was only after hours of listening that I realised the detail was there, and that they didn't sound closed in, it was just that their tonal balance was on the smoother sidein comparison to most other brands.

Good observation, I agree.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, after trying the Proac Tablette Anniversary, Proac D1 and the Harbeth P3SER, I have a few observations.

The Tablettes are very neat speakers for their size, clear, punchy, fun. I preferred the D1, they had a little more weight and a smoother sound, but still retained the super clear high frequencies. The D1 is actually my favourite Proac to date. I think they would be perfect for music production in particular.

The Proac sound is great, but I am amazed by the sound that comes from the Harbeth P3SER. They are weighty, clear, realistic and really enjoyable. They don't quite reach the same high frequencies quite so noticeably, so they sound a little smoother. But, the sound they produce is incredible, and they are really not far off the much larger Compact 7s, which I own. The C7s are weighty and have more scale, but in a room of 4x4m, I'm not sure I need that scale. The P3SERs just feel about right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts