Pro-ject phono box SE or Trichord Dino MK1

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I have a good chance to get one of the above for a really good price. As you most know by now, I use the built in phono stage on my Roksan. After using my brother's pro-ject phono stage (the entry level one) it made a good difference to my vinyl sound, which I liked. So which one would yield me the biggest improvement from the two above?

A

Anonymous

No choice there. I just tried a swag of phono amps, and the Dino is so much better. Why the Mk 1, though, and not the Mk2?

A

Anonymous

You'll want to test it, though. The Dino has an acrylic case and it picks up any interference going, so positioning is important. I seem to remember you had an issue with hum before.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Why the MK1 Dino and not the MK2?

Personally i wouldn't use any of them and would go for the Dynavector P75 (£375) which i use and wiped the floor of the now sold on and well regarded Benz Lukeshek (£1100).

A

Anonymous

I've not heard the Dynavector, but you'd hope it was better given the £500 plus price the current model goes for.

How does it compare to the Dino, by the way? I'm still looking for a phono stage myself.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You've just reminded me i got it ex demo from Analog Seduction so new would be over £500. Sorry.

Not sure how it compares to the Dino but i can say i've never heard a phono stage that delivers such a clean uncoloured path as the P75. To be fair i've only had a handful of phono stages but what i've found with it is that you hear what the record has to say and you hear very little or nothing of its own make up.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Why the MK1 Dino and not the MK2?

Personally i wouldn't use any of them and would go for the Dynavector P75 (£375) which i use and wiped the floor of the now sold on and well regarded Benz Lukeshek (£1100). Purely down to price as I can get the MK1 for a good price. Any recommendations on second hand phono stages?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If you can find a ex demo or pre owned P75 MKII i would recommend it highly but be aware you will hear only what is on the record good or bad, its very honest.

A

Anonymous

gbhsi - Personally I really rate the Dino Mk1. I've also heard it along side the Mk II and can't say I noticed a massive difference - not saying Mk II isn't better, just that Mk 1 was pretty good already.

I actually had the Project SE before I bought my Dino and noticed a big improvement - I've still got the Project knocking about so tried it out again recently out of curiosity - and still felt it wasn't a patch on the Dino. I don't know the phono stages other folks mention, but if its a straight toss up between the Dino and the phono box SE - Dino wins hands down for me.

NB I have occasionally notices hum - but its never been a problem, seems to go if you move it around a bit.

Simon

PS I use mine with my Project Xperience turntable - and my aged Systemdek - sounds good with either.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:You'll want to test it, though. The Dino has an acrylic case and it picks up any interference going, so positioning is important. I seem to remember you had an issue with hum before.

Really ?. You surprise me as i had no problems at all when i had a Dino. Admittedly it was the Dino 2 with psu. Did you phone Graham at the time to pick his brains ?. Just interested thats all Tarquinh.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Likearollincheese:
gbhsi - Personally I really rate the Dino Mk1. I've also heard it along side the Mk II and can't say I noticed a massive difference - not saying Mk II isn't better, just that Mk 1 was pretty good already.

I actually had the Project SE before I bought my Dino and noticed a big improvement - I've still got the Project knocking about so tried it out again recently out of curiosity - and still felt it wasn't a patch on the Dino. I don't know the phono stages other folks mention, but if its a straight toss up between the Dino and the phono box SE - Dino wins hands down for me.

NB I have occasionally notices hum - but its never been a problem, seems to go if you move it around a bit.

Simon

PS I use mine with my Project Xperience turntable - and my aged Systemdek - sounds good with either.

Right, I have been searching the internet for different phono stages. I have come across a few within my price range which is maximum £230. I have found the Graham Slee gram 2 SE phono stage @£229 brand new- has anyone experienced Graham Slee phono stages, particularly the 2 SE? If you could give me more suggestions, that would be great!obviously the less I can spend the better but I don't want to skimp on quality and most of all ''the sound''..any ideas people? Thanks for your suggestions so far

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have just found a website that is selling the Graham Slee gram SE for £199.00- wow! very tempting £30 cheaper than anywhere else

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dino twentieth century Dino nineteen seventies. Sorry that hurts and shows my age. Gb it really dosnt mate if you get the mk1 because , although do your maths first ( it may require a phone call anaw) Graham will upgrade the mk1 to mk2 status anyways.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:
Tarquinh:You'll want to test it, though. The Dino has an acrylic case and it picks up any interference going, so positioning is important. I seem to remember you had an issue with hum before.

Really ?. You surprise me as i had no problems at all when i had a Dino. Admittedly it was the Dino 2 with psu. Did you phone Graham at the time to pick his brains ?. Just interested thats all Tarquinh.

Spoke to the dealer and some Trichord owners. It's just a matter of positioning, that's all. Won't stop me buying one when they come back into stock.They are such a good deal.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Think gb think. One day you may aquire a super low output cart, the slee wont hack it as good as the dino. Ive tried to point you in this direction in the past mate, but tis your money.

To be honest, if at all possible you need to listen to a few because phonostages are more subjective than you may think. One mans meat and all that.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh: Spoke to the dealer and some Trichord owners. It's just a matter of positioning, that's all. Won't stop me buying one when they come back into stock.They are such a good deal.

For the money the Dino takes some beating Tarquinh. Great flexibilty ,great sound, just very slightly forward imo, but nowt that cant be tamed by judicious arm/cart partnering etc,or you can muck about with the cart loading settings anaw, that works, if you need to that is.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:
Think gb think. One day you may aquire a super low output cart, the slee wont hack it as good as the dino. Ive tried to point you in this direction in the past mate, but tis your money.

To be honest, if at all possible you need to listen to a few because phonostages are more subjective than you may think. One mans meat and all that.

Good point. The thing is there are fantastic MM cartridges (2M Black in mind) out there, so having the Graham Slee will do just fine for me. Looks like I have made my mind up already...perhaps! Has anyone heard the graham slee? Have you Floyd Droid?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:gbhsi1:JohnDuncan:Diiiiiinnnooooooo......MKI just as good as the MKII John?
When did Mk2 come out? The one I've heard must be about 5 years old or so...I have no idea. All I know the Dino is on ebay at £75.00 and only 3 days left- so a potential bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts