Primare Amp help pls.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to upgrade my cambridge audio 540 v2 amp to a 1 yr. old Primare I21 because I'm getting quite a good deal for it (380 pounds).

Before I even demo it, I would like to find out some initial thoughts from you guys if this upgrade is worth it...

1.Is this upgrade a big step or I'm better off getting something else or just stick to my current amp?

2. Will the Primare amp go well with my Dynaudio Focus 110? (I listen to chillout, jazz, house, vocal and some pop stuff)

3. Does it have enough power to drive my speakers? (My volume is normally set to 9-10 o'clock on my current amp)

4. Will it partner well with my current CA 540v2 cd player? (Planning to upgrade it mid next year)

Hope to hear some expert advice from you all
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I think Dynaudios are slightly warm, as is Primare.

Try a cleaner more neutral and more powerful amp.

Krell 400 / Cyrus MonoX / Plinius or Moon / ATC or AVI Lab

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have the I30 and like it. I have no reason to doubt the I20. If you could consider the I30 it has balanced inputs and dual mono 2x100w. It would control the Dynaudios better. However the I20 sounds well priced and should perform well. If you are looking at the I20 also consider a Meridian 551 which is a Dual Mono of similar power and can be picked up for around £250 second hand. Both amps are built well.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the i30 sounds brilliant with focus 110's and easily controls them. don't know about the i20. you want an amp with a high damping factor to control the dyn's bass, google amp damping factor and you should be able to get the info on how to work it out, i think you divide the output impedance of the amp with the speakers ohm rating - or something like that. iirc, the i30 has a damping factor of 130 which seems quite high, my kandy amp i think is about 110.

you could also consider a used kandy L.lll, it will be a monstrous improvement on your 540. i used to have the 640 cdp and amp and my current set-up batters it with a big stick. i recently heard the 640 amp through my focus 110s (i sold it to a friend) and it couldn't control them properly, the sound was fuzzy and flat in comparison.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Craig, after checking Primare and Roksan's sites, the i21 seems to have a damping factor of 100 (into 8 ohms) and the kandy is 110 (into 8 ohms). Since the Focus 110 is 4 ohms, it means that the damping factor is cut into half. So does this mean that an amp damping factor of 50 for a 4 ohm speaker is good enough?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts