Prices/Deals in 2009

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With what seems like a distinct lack of new 'Hot Deals' and a lot of stuff (BD players, TV's, AV amps, Blu ray discs etc) having gone up in price since xmas, was wondering what peoples views were for 2009 given the talk of a lot of manufacturers saying their prices will increase, the 'credit crunch', job losses, lack of money in peoples pockets etc.

Are we going to see prices for current ranges drop dramatically in the spring when new TV, BD players etc are launched and how much more expensive are the new ranges going to be?

Discuss.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As we've been saying on the Forums for some time, there were amazing deals to be had in the run up to Christmas and the New Year sales, but it was unlikely these would last.

Given the weakness of the pound against other currencies, many manufacturers who import goods from other countries will have no choice but to put up prices.

Whether these increases will stick in the recession remains to be seen, but I think what you'll see - as is happening in the car industry - is manufacturers massively reducing stocks in order to manage supply and maintain prices. After all, given the parlous financial state many companies (big and small) are in, they'll have to try and maintain their margins somehow.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pejwright:Are we going to see prices for current ranges drop dramatically in the spring when new TV, BD players etc are launched and how much more expensive are the new ranges going to be?

Would you like the winner of the Grand National, too?

Honestly, it's anyone's guess.

There's a lot of pressure for prices to rise, due to exchange rate changes (even if there are slight signs of the pound's decline flattening out - at least at the moment).

But at the same time, manufacturers, retailers and distributors are desparate to sell things, just to get some cashflow going, which should be pushing prices down.

I guess it all depends on currencies, interest rates, job-security, property, oil and commodity prices, gas supplies from Russia, the situation in the Middle East, the retail environment, inflation/deflation, consumer confidence, what Barack does, who wins the German federal election, whether we have a general election and whether Robert Peston gets a cold.

Simple enough then...

A

Anonymous

I know it's all pure guesswork until we get the new products but it interests me to get peoples views on what we can expect this year. I personally find that I tend to wait being probably over cautious and then miss out on the best deals (as I have done over xmas). But when money is tight and all we hear about is prices falling it's difficult to accept and/or understand prices going up.

And yes, I would like the winner of the Grand National and this week's Lottery numbers if you don't mind. I'll make sure you're well rewarded for the info.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pejwright:But when money is tight and all we hear about is prices falling it's difficult to accept and/or understand prices going up.

Exactly the problems all those companies are facing.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:and whether Robert Peston gets a cold.

For heavens sake don't say that. Even when he has a slight sneeze he reports doom and gloom. Give him flu and it's total armageddon...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

pejwright:Are we going to see prices for current ranges drop dramatically in the spring when new TV, BD players etc are launched and how much more expensive are the new ranges going to be?

There's a lot of pressure for prices to rise, due to exchange rate changes (even if there are slight signs of the pound's decline flattening out - at least at the moment).

But at the same time, manufacturers, retailers and distributors are desparate to sell things, just to get some cashflow going, which should be pushing prices down.

I guess it all depends on currencies, interest rates, job-security, property, oil and commodity prices, gas supplies from Russia, the situation in the Middle East, the retail environment, inflation/deflation, consumer confidence, what Barack does, who wins the German federal election, whether we have a general election and whether Robert Peston gets a cold.

Simple enough then...

Time to take up the parliamentary ticket then! Local bye election in Teddington.?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Andrew Everard:and whether Robert Peston gets a cold.

For heavens sake don't say that. Even when he has a slight sneeze he reports doom and gloom. Give him flu and it's total armageddon...

The BBC were unreceptive of my suggestion of putting Peston on a sponsored silence to raise money for Children In Need.

Maybe for Comic Relief that could be escalated to solitary, non-broadcasting confinement, with his release only coming when consumer confidence rebounds from the hefty kicking he gives it every time he opens his mouth.
emotion-12.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:Andrew Everard:

Simple enough then...

Time to take up the parliamentary ticket then! Local bye election in Teddington.?

I don't think our local MP - Vince Cable - is going anywhere quite yet (unless he takes up permanant residence on the Today programme, which he might as well do at the mo).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:The BBC were unreceptive of my suggestion of putting Peston on a sponsored silence to raise money for Children In Need.
Maybe for Comic Relief that could be escalated to solitary, non-broadcasting confinement, with his release only coming when consumer confidence rebounds from the hefty kicking he gives it every time he opens his mouth.
emotion-12.gif

... perhaps replaced by a CGI recreation of John Laurie? Would anyone notice a difference?

images

matthewpiano

It seems to me that manufacturers are low on stock. We've got back orders on several Sony sets and a friend was recently given a lead time of 6-8 weeks on an LG. I don't think there'll be huge numbers of bargains flooding the market, particularly of the more popular sets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts