Pre v Integrated Christmas conundrum

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
It's christmas time and I was thinking of treating my Mrs to some more hi-fi as she is such a huge fanatic. I, or rather she, was thinking that replacing the integrated amp for a pre version might be quite a nice yuletide treat, given that the power amp is already in place. My question is, is a pre-amp simply the integrated minus the power amp section and therefore would make no difference in my case, or is the dedicated pre likely to offer something extra?

Listening to: Dispatch - Silent Steeples

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Pre-amps are more-or-less empty switching boxes. The simpler the better. Get a passive pre for noticeable results.

A

Anonymous

have always had intergrated amps, but have read some good comments about the behringer A500 which sells for approx £170 new ... am sure some others will shed more light

A

Anonymous

Throw the money at another X Power and use the 8VS2 as the pre. That should yield some good results with speakers like the FB1i speakers. Just my opinion.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Gusboll - a dedicated pre amplifier will always outperform an integrated amplifier acting as a pre amplifier.

In what way and how come?

Listening to: Planet Rock

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm with David on this one. A dedicated pre amp will have been designed from the ground up to be just that. An integrated amp with pre amp outs doesn't stop doing all the other stuff an integrated does just because you connect a set of i/c's to it and disconnect the speaker cable. The power supply, the circuit board and component layout can be optimised.

I used to run a Meridian 551 integrated with a Meridian 557 power amp and found the move to a dedicated 502 pre amp to be wholly beneficial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts