joaogvaz

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Hello

I have to choose between:

Powernode 2i
Node 2i + External amp

Will feed Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers

External amp can be: Audiolab 6000a, Rega Brio or other.

Is it worth the extra bucks for leaving the amplifier of powernode and replace by one of the above mentioned?

Thanks

Hello

I have to choose between:

Powernode 2i
Node 2i + External amp

Will feed Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers

External amp can be: Audiolab 6000a, Rega Brio or other.

Is it worth the extra bucks for leaving the amplifier of powernode and replace by one of the above mentioned?

Thanks
Don't know in your particular case but I am a great believer in separates, if you have the necessary space, as it's much better for when it comes to upgrading and it gives you far greater choice and often functionality.
Pretty much depends as well whether your system is likely to have any add-ons in the future.

joaogvaz

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
Thank you

At this point, im only comparing between overall sound quality, match with Lindon speakers and funcionality considering also that the powernode is all in one unit, and probably all is optimized to operate as one. And the powernode is 60W per channel while audiolad is 50W per channel. It is not better considering the node 60 W to match better with the Wharfedale London speakers?

matthewpiano

The Lintons aren't especially hard to drive, so don't be overly concerned about this, but have you actually heard them? Are you able to give them sufficient space in your room?

I have a pair of Lintons and they have many good qualities, but they need more space than I can give them to sound their best. The furthest I can position them from the rear wall is 20cm, and they can lack sparkle/openess in this position.

As far as amplifier choice is concerned, the Lintons were likely developed using the Audiolab 6000 series. Certainly they have been used together at numberous hi-fi shows. The new Leak Stereo 130 was also developed with the Lintons in mind. All these brands are now the same company (International Audio Group). Either of these combinations would be a decent starting point, but I would strongly recommend auditioning.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

joaogvaz

Oct 25, 2020
Visit site
I have a 15 m2 room, not very big indeed. I listen mainly classic rock, instrumental metal, jazz, blues, and i found these speakers to have the warm sound I search for from direct comparison in videos in youtube. Besides the compressed youtube sound i hear clear tone and natural sound difference when tested together with other speakers like b&w, Kefs, klipsch etc.

matthewpiano

I have a 15 m2 room, not very big indeed. I listen mainly classic rock, instrumental metal, jazz, blues, and i found these speakers to have the warm sound I search for from direct comparison in videos in youtube. Besides the compressed youtube sound i hear clear tone and natural sound difference when tested together with other speakers like b&w, Kefs, klipsch etc.

YouTube videos are no indication at all of how hi-fi sounds, so don't rely on it.

The Lintons need to be at least 50-60cm from the wall behind to give their best. Given the cabinets themselves are quite deep, you are consequently looking at the front of the speakers being around 1 metre into the room.

There is no way to mitigate the risk of buying without audition if this is the only possibility, and this risk is pretty much the same whichever way you go. The PowerNode 2i is excellent and produces very good sound. It's more than capable of driving the Lintons, and it is very discrete and compact. Perhaps you could order one from a supplier who offers a good returns policy so that if you don't like what you hear, you aren't stuck with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I definitely wouldn't use a YouTube video as an indication of sound quality. If you cant demo read the reviews and google whether people have matched the components you are interested in. Also listen to the advice on here. You can mitigate the financial risk also by buying nearly new or ex demo that way if you don't like what you've bought you can move them on for around the same price

Reactions: matthewpiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts