Wharfedale EVO 4.2 vs 4.3

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello !
I'm interested in a Wharfedale EVO for my approx. 3.3x5.6 living room to amplify with my Audiolab A6000 amplifier.
My listening position is on a chair, ear height about 90 cm from the floor. The armchair and the listening position next to the wall – so there is an emphasis on the bass here. The speakers are about 70 cm from the opposite wall, behind which is a partially open library.
I don't have a suitable stand for the EVO 4.2. The standard 60cm stands place the tweeters about 10-12cm above ear level, maybe I should buy 50cm stands? Definitely the extra expense and difficulty of finding stands that will ensure the stability of such massive speakers.
On the other hand, EVO4,3 have a lower height, about 88 cm
I would lean more towards 4.3...takes up less space in the room, they have a smaller footprint.
I'm curious if anyone has heard both speakers and what the differences between them are....
Thank you very much,
All the best

Hello !
I'm interested in a Wharfedale EVO for my approx. 3.3x5.6 living room to amplify with my Audiolab A6000 amplifier.
My listening position is on a chair, ear height about 90 cm from the floor. The armchair and the listening position next to the wall – so there is an emphasis on the bass here. The speakers are about 70 cm from the opposite wall, behind which is a partially open library.
I don't have a suitable stand for the EVO 4.2. The standard 60cm stands place the tweeters about 10-12cm above ear level, maybe I should buy 50cm stands? Definitely the extra expense and difficulty of finding stands that will ensure the stability of such massive speakers.
I would lean more towards 4.3...takes up less space in the room, they have a smaller footprint.
I'm curious if anyone has heard both speakers and what the differences between them are....
Thank you very much,
All the best
if those are the only two speakers you have in mind you really are going to have to audition yourself. Nobody here can tell you which is best.
why just those?

Last edited:
Reactions: matthewpianist
Hello !
Thank you very much,
All the best
Didn't you ask about Wharfedale Lintons before Christmas?

Seems you have a Wharfedale urge. There are plenty of other brands that are -- probably -- better than Wharfedales. These days you are spoilt for choice.

I also suggested demoing Dali Oberon 5 before the festive period.

I am at 500 km far away from the showroom , and they don't send for demo at home ...
Just gathering info . Hoped to find someone who listened and compared these two .
of course I know my ears , my room ,my gear ....ideally
I doubt many will have compared both as people have usually decided between standmounts and floorstanders before they do go to audition.
If you don't already own a decent pair of speaker stands there is a good point to be made in going for the floorstanders as decent stands will add hundreds of pounds onto the cost of the standmounts.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I doubt many will have compared both as people have usually decided between standmounts and floorstanders before they do go to audition.
If you don't already own a decent pair of speaker stands there is a good point to be made in going for the floorstanders as decent stands will add hundreds of pounds onto the cost of the standmounts.
So true. You can pick stands up for around £100 (whatever that translates to in the OPs country) I would stick to what he knows i.e. Wharfedales or purchase a speaker that has a 'Returns'.

AJM1981

Didn't you ask about Wharfedale Lintons before Christmas?

Seems you have a Wharfedale urge. There are plenty of other brands that are -- probably -- better than Wharfedales. These days you are spoilt for choice.

I also suggested demoing Dali Oberon 5 before the festive period.

This argument also applies to Ls50 fans or Dali Oberon fans. Yes, there are more brands and types but the modern Wharfedale range is far from the "there are better ones" argument, like it is some sort of b-brand. That is purely a personal opinion on personal preference and the market.

The series won awards and received praise by many audiophile reviewers as giant killers and no, they are probably not that exclusive as some more expensive brands as Sonus Faber, but audiowise they are as great.

I get it that it might be a bit of a dull thing to see an Ls50 or Evo mention or advice on every reply. But well.. that's a product of its time. Requesting variation for the sake of variation is not something demandable.

Last edited:
If the OP is restricting his options to Wharfedale speakers then best we answer his initial question only....
it is obvious there will be differences between the two speakers because of their size and construction but I dont feel what I hear can be accurately portrayed to someone else..

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
In my first post I said that I wanted to hear opinions of somebody who listened both speakers .
Pure curiosity. Not my options yet
But it seems there is nobody who listened both speakers here .
Thank you

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
IAG group do test all the different brands speakers with there own amps so they in theory should be a reasonable match, worth noting the 4.2s are slightly less sensitive at 87 db vs the 4.3 at 88db, (stand mounts are usually a little less sensitive than floorstanders, all other things being equal). I use my 6000a play with quad s4 small floorstanders (sensitivity 88db) & they play plenty loud enough in a room a bit larger than yours. The 6000a is rated at 50 watts so if you really like to crank the sound up you might possibly want to look at higher sensitivity speakers…🤔 Demoing is ultimately the only way to know if you like the combination though………best of luck & what ever you end up…….😁

This argument also applies to Ls50 fans or Dali Oberon fans. Yes, there are more brands and types but the modern Wharfedale range is far from the "there are better ones" argument, like it is some sort of b-brand. That is purely a personal opinion on personal preference and the market.

The series won awards and received praise by many audiophile reviewers as giant killers and no, they are probably not that exclusive as some more expensive brands as Sonus Faber, but audiowise they are as great.

I get it that it might be a bit of a dull thing to see an Ls50 or Evo mention or advice on every reply. But well.. that's a product of its time. Requesting variation for the sake of variation is not something demandable.
The point I was trying to make is there's so much choice when comes to sub-£1000 speakers, it's wise to explore every possible avenue.

I've always liked Wharfedales, owned 3 sets (Linton XP2, E20 and more recently Denton 80th Anniversary), so I don't view them as inferior.

When choosing speakers it isn't necessarily what's the best speaker but which one suits your room and musical taste the best.

IAG group do test all the different brands speakers with there own amps so they in theory should be a reasonable match, worth noting the 4.2s are slightly less sensitive at 87 db vs the 4.3 at 88db, (stand mounts are usually a little less sensitive than floorstanders, all other things being equal). I use my 6000a play with quad s4 small floorstanders (sensitivity 88db) & they play plenty loud enough in a room a bit larger than yours. The 6000a is rated at 50 watts so if you really like to crank the sound up you might possibly want to look at higher sensitivity speakers…🤔 Demoing is ultimately the only way to know if you like the combination though………best of luck & what ever you end up…….😁
It's such a risk to buy blind, unless you know the brand: Room size & acoustics, how loud you like to play the music, how long your sessions are as a bright system can be fatiguing over longer sessions; how far you sit from the speakers and so the list of considerations goes on....

Reactions: Fidelity dom

AJM1981

In my first post I said that I wanted to hear opinions of somebody who listened both speakers .
Pure curiosity. Not my options yet
But it seems there is nobody who listened both speakers here .
Thank you

I own the Evo 4.2.

If the choice is between the Evo 4.1 and 4.2 I would not be able to form an opinion because the 4.1 doesn't have the midrange dome like the 4.2 and beyond, so the crossover is setup differently in the 4.1 and the signature might differ as well.

When it comes to 4.2 and 4.3 I can give an opinon based on the model and experience. The construction is identical, with the 4.3 having more bass extension with its second woofer. Apart from that it should be completely identical as reviews underline.

The Evo series have a "drop like" cabinet construction which to some reviewers is been described as having 'semi- open baffle" qualities. Practically this means that the mids, in which the vocals are at most cases, are kind of forward sounding. All instruments sound realistically detailed and a with a good weight to them. Not bassy or boomy.

The AMT tweeter is well implemented, so it never sounds harsh. One thing to notice is that you have to like them. They are more directional as where a conventional tweeter is more spreading around. This means that you have to sit in their field of dispersion to enjoy them fully. If you stand up or sit out of the field the treble partly falls away.Also when someone passing by the tweeter, frequencies at the top are partly gone. Not a big deal to me.

A nice effect is that when you move from out of the field to inside, they suddenly sound at best and it gives a bit like this theatrical effect like a curtain being opened.

They are really enjoyable when you like singer-songwriter, vocal jazz, accoustic guitars, classic rock, jazz in general and pop. They have a great horizontal sound stage, the 3 way system also adds to a good vertical soundstage experience.

That about the pros and side notes. The cons. They are not the heavy metal or hip-hop or dance kind of speakers. Not ones that emphasise on "oomph" or power in kicks. (I once owned the B&W 602/s3, amazing in those areas)

But truly enjoyable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fidelity dom

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Follow up
Thank you all for the answers ,opinions and advices ....
If you are curious about my decision ,I can say that finally I stay with my Elan 10 , but added a second 8'' woofer (Dynavoice seald box ,used) and I got an incredible sound almost for free .

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts